End of an era?

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

End of an era?

Postby candy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:04 pm

It's hard to know what to say but I'm feeling a bit sad following the news of PC World's discontinuing of the Floppy Disk.

Apparently they reckon there's little call for them theses days.

It seems to get to you when you've grown up with having them, ready to shove into your computer from the early TRS-80's through todays Macs and IBM/PC computers when you needed to back something up or copy.

Any thoughts on this?

RIP Floppy Disc

Candy

A girl in a million
candy

RE: End of an era?

Postby MartyBartfast » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:35 pm

Well they aren't _REAL_ floppy disks anyhow, a _REAL_ floppy disk is 5 1/4 or 8 1/2 inches and they're long gone.

I won't miss them.
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

RE: End of an era?

Postby GMorgan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:39 pm

Really they were doomed the moment you needed 25 of them just to hold the Linux kernel source.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:23 pm

I still find them incredibly useful for backing up documents.

I suppose PC World will also withdraw their external floppy disk drives as well. It always amuses me when something which used to be integral is removed because "there's no demand for this any more" and the next thing you know they are being sold as add-ons, which surely must prove there is a demand.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:58 pm

I haven't used a floppy disk in about three years, they became so unreliable that I wouldn't dare trust anything to them. My partner's computer still has a floppy drive, because she gets given work documents on floppy, but then they still send out memos on stone tablets :(
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby SootynSweep » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:05 pm

8 1/2 inches?

Where did you use those?

Largest I can find here is 8 inches, probably from a S/36 or S/38 (double sided, double density a whole 1MB - wow)
SootynSweep
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:18 pm

still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby MartyBartfast » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:45 pm

SootynSweep wrote:8 1/2 inches?

Where did you use those?

Largest I can find here is 8 inches, probably from a S/36 or S/38 (double sided, double density a whole 1MB - wow)

You're right, they were 8 inches, it's been a long time & being a bloke I always tend to exagerate when it comes to size :oops:
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby risc_user » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:56 pm

I don't care that much about them being discontinued. The shop down the road will still sell them for another ten years.
They still had 5 1/4" discs until last November when I went in and cleaned them out.
I think in the past few years they've become more unreliable. The production quality must have gone downhill, because all my Acorn discs from the early nineties are still working whereas a box I bought from Currys all corrupted within a month or so.
Who needs PC World anyway.
risc_user

Postby nordle » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:27 pm

It's crazy that such a piece of crap lasted so long. I built a machine at the start of 2004 without a floppy drive, no problems (PATA drives). Then I built a machine towards the end of 2006 and I needed a floppy drive! Stupid winxp SATA drivers.... (although I undersand that winxp SP2 SB2 9/10 does not require any floppy drivers).

Over two years down the line and a floppy drive was needed. I'd forgotten that winxp has been around since 2001.

Flash memory sticks are far far better, Amazon were flogging 1GB units for £8! Crazy price, everyone should have one :)
Creates a bit of a mare for network security though.
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:34 pm

I remember help load an Alcatel Systems drive unit into the skip about 15 years ago, it had four 12" floppy drives and 2 Winchester (removable hard disk units about 20" across) slots.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:46 am

How can they stop selling floppies, when they still sell cassette tapes? My Speccy +2A will never die!

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:22 pm

Everything has its' uses, including floppies. Next thing they will be trying to tell people that no one drives a 'gogo mobile' as well.

I haven't used mine for a long time but i certainly wont be throwing out my 2.4 rescue floppies. Just in case the cd/dvd drive packes it at an inapproprate time.

>>
RIP Floppy Disc
>>

St Trynians will never die !

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:29 pm

nordle wrote:It's crazy that such a piece of crap lasted so long.
What, just like Windows? :D

nordle wrote:Creates a bit of a mare for network security though.

Too true, which is why we are barred from using them at work (same applies to all USB connected devices - even a mouse, unless an administrator connects it.)
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:19 pm

Marrea wrote:
nordle wrote:Creates a bit of a mare for network security though.

Too true, which is why we are barred from using them at work (same applies to all USB connected devices - even a mouse, unless an administrator connects it.)

wow, thats annoying. How else are you supposed to rip corporate, key free, software? How on earth do they expect you to get those mp3's and p0rn home from the network where you spent all day downloading?

Honestly I think its a bit OTT to only allow usb keyboards to be plugged in my an admin, not exactly flexible. I also think that usb sticks should be used and encouraged where in the right situation.

It would be a good idea of companies supplied their own sticks, which were clearly branded ie easy to spot someone using a non standard stick. And the company stick would be 64-128MB. Thats large enough to be useful, but not so large that you can rip office, vista, the customer database etc.
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Next

Return to Other OS