Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you say "Linux"?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

When saying the word "Linux", how do you pronounce it?
"Lie-nux"
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
"Linn-nux"
61%
 61%  [ 24 ]
"Lie-noox"
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
"Linn-noox"
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Other
15%
 15%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 39

oweny33

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: How do you say "Linux"? Reply with quote

I have heard several variations and everyone insists their way is correct. I'm interested to know how real Linux users speak the name of their God. ;o)
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: RE: How do you say "Linux"? Reply with quote

How do you pronounce the options.
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you say "Linux"? Reply with quote

oweny33 wrote:
I'm interested to know how real Linux users speak the name of their God.

Well - 'God', actually. But you could always open Firefox and type 'about:mozilla' into the address bar.

Is the Great Bird a penguin? I think we should be told.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: How do you say "Linux"? Reply with quote

The first one looks pretty much like it is intended to be the pronunciation I use. I never could make out why people would want to cultivate a cod Scandinavian accent just to sound "authentic".
Consider how you pronounce "Paris", and then, if you are not French, how the French pronounce it.
towy71

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: How do you say "Linux"? Reply with quote

I voted for the second one, I live in Wales and the only way anyone can pronounce Welsh words is phonetically so linn-nux is right for me Rolling Eyes
flashdangerpants
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: How do you say "Linux"? Reply with quote

linn-ux

how the hell am i to pronounce xubuntu though? is it like xylophone? must i really say zoobuntu? should i work round this thorny issue by loading zenwalk instead?
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: How do you say "Linux"? Reply with quote

ksubuntu, perhaps.

Smile
flashdangerpants
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: How do you say "Linux"? Reply with quote

bless you
roseway
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: RE: Re: How do you say "Linux"? Reply with quote

Linus himself pronounces it like number 4, so that's where my vote goes, although I normally say 'Linnucks'. I think that number 1 is completely wrong, and has a US origin; there's a theory that this pronunciation is derived from a US cartoon character called Linus (pronounced 'Lie-nuss').

Eric
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: RE: Re: How do you say "Linux"? Reply with quote

GNU Wink

M
SootynSweep
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: RE: Re: How do you say "Linux"? Reply with quote

Not just how do you say Linux, what about GNU? or Gnome?

Also there are so many silly contrived names in GNU/Linux that I sometimes don't have a clue about how to pronounce them. Didn't Cynux write about this a while ago? (how do you say Cynux?)

It gets worse, as Rhakios points out the way Paris gets pronounced by English and French speakers is well different.

I'm from the UK but don't live there. So how do I try and say these odd names in a way that sounds right to me and will be understood by a non English speaker.

Oh my.
Moodel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: RE: Re: How do you say "Linux"? Reply with quote

I use Lie-nux and Linn-nux both. I just use whichever comes first to my brain and don't have preferance.
Vanders

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: RE: Re: How do you say "Linux"? Reply with quote

It's a shame the distros don't ship the old .au file of Linus pronouncing it.

"My name is Linus Torvalds and I pronounce Linux, Linux"

It doesn't quite work in a text only medium! For those of you who havn't heard: the second option in the poll. Everything else is wrong, according to Linus.
roseway
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: How do you say "Linux"? Reply with quote

More like the 4th option really - the second syllable is a Scandinavian 'oox' rather than an English 'ucks'.

Eric
Fat_Tuesday

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: How do you say "Linux"? Reply with quote

Speaking (and reading) as a Brit, I always go for the lie-nux option. I know that English has some horrific rules and paradoxes, but for me, if Linus really wanted it pronounced Linnux by everyone, he'd add an extra N for us foreign types Smile. Also, does Linus pronounce his name Lie-nus, or Linnus, or something else entirely?

Yours in confusion,

FT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: