Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gentoo: Founder & Chief engineer working for Microsoft..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
serene
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Gentoo: Founder & Chief engineer working for Microsoft.. Reply with quote

I saw the story here on Gentoo's founder and Chief engineer going to work for Microsoft.

*Will Microsoft have the ability now that these 2 are working for them, to impede or hinder further Gentoo developement or progress?

I am concerned because I have really latched on to Gentoo as a wonderful distro for my needs and now I'm feeling a little depressed upon hearing Microsoft's reach has seduced the top Gentoo folks to the dark side!

Thank you.
Serene Smile
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: RE: Gentoo: Founder & Chief engineer working for Microso Reply with quote

First of all the founder and chief engineer are one and the same person, Daniel Robbins. Secondly, he left Gentoo some months ago. Gentoo is run by a not-for-profit foundation, of which Daniel was never a part.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: RE: Gentoo: Founder & Chief engineer working for Microso Reply with quote

And in what way does the poster need help in this matter? Can this thread be moved to discussion where it belongs?
towy71

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Gentoo: Founder & Chief engineer working for Mic Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
And in what way does the poster need help in this matter? Can this thread be moved to discussion where it belongs?

what he said! Smile
serene
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Gentoo: Founder & Chief engineer working for Reply with quote

I will format my question into a more specific 'help or advise' topic.

Question:
Is there a possibility that Microsoft can influence the development or progress of Gentoo now that Mr. Daniel Robbins has left to work for Microsoft?

The answer to this question will help me to decide if I should pursue other distros or stick with Gentoo.

Thank you all.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Gentoo: Founder & Chief engineer working for Reply with quote

Rephrasing the question doesn't make it any less of a discussion topic, so I've moved it.

Now think about what you are asking. could someone who is no longer associated in any way with Gentoo, and known to work for Microsoft, influence the development of Gentoo?

Of course he can't, the Gentoo foundation aren't a bunch of sheep who will follow any retired shepherd.
serene
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Gentoo: Founder & Chief engineer working for Reply with quote

Thank you Nelz.

I wanted an opinion from the experts here...

There was concern if there was any proprietary technologies that got sold to Microsoft that could later be denied from future Gentoo code.

Thank you for your comments.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Gentoo: Founder & Chief engineer working for Reply with quote

There are no proprietary technologies in Gentoo, it is all open source. Even if there were, Danial Robbins would not be able to sell them as he would no longer own them.

The guy created a great distro and community, but in doing so ran up five figure debts. Now he needs a job and Microsoft offered him one. In a way, Microsoft are retroactively funding the creation and development of Gentoo, without gaining any advantage from it Smile
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: