ethernet and adsl broadband

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

ethernet and adsl broadband

Postby bigblack » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:41 am

Hi all,

What kit do I need to connect an ethernet card to broadband?

I am beginning to get the idea that I still need a modem. Is this correct?

cheers in advance
bigblack

RE: ethernet and adsl broadband

Postby nelz » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:24 am

You need an ADSL modem/router, like this
nelz
Site admin

Postby bigblack » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:20 pm

I have an ethernet card.

I gather from my investigation that I need ether a adsl modem or router. Is this what you mean by modem/router, or do I need the two in one ie it is a modem and router.

thanks nelz
bigblack

Postby nelz » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:19 pm

Did you follow the link? It is a combined modem and router (you'll be hard pressed to find an ADSL modem that does not contain a router).
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby wiz » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:26 pm

1 small point.
With my networking ignorance, I bought a single port modem/router and discovered about half an hour later that a multiport one would have been a better choice. Luckily, I did choose an ethernet one though
wiz
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:31 pm

It depends on your network. I bought the four port router, because it was only a fiver extra, but would have been better off with the single port one (I have a switch already).
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby youlikeicecream » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:56 am

ah yeah, but nelz i did the same thing, i have two switches but i still got the 4port NTL router and it turns out that you would be hard-pushed to find a spare ethernet port in ma house :)

I have two routers on my network too, one dumbly distributes wireless, regulated by Coyote Firewall. and the other router for my wired network. And i guess Coyote is a router too so make that 3 routers.

Mike :)
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Postby skecs » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:08 am

I think you are better of buying a 4-port ADSL modem/router as these often additional features like DHCP server, firewall, port redirection, VPN, etc. These features aren't usually found with the single port & USB combo modems. These are even having 54g wireless built in now to make a wireless network access to your broadband easy.

:roll: I've got a 4-port ADSL Modem/Router and a 5-port switch and I only have 1 free port left - it doesn't take long with teenage daughters to fill up with network printers, servers and workstations :roll:
Regards from
Downunder!
.... _
... (0)>
... / /\
.. / / .)
.. V_/_
Linux Powered!
skecs

Postby nelz » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:32 pm

No Skecs, the 1 and 4 port variants of this unit are identical apart from the number of ports and the information provided by the LEDs. If it didn't provide port redirection, it could hardly be called a router, could it? ;-)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:34 am

Port forwarding is actuially part of NAT, although it has become a standard feature in many routers, routers shouln't actually do this according to specifications - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_ad ... ranslation & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding.

It has become common practice to build these features into ADSL Modem/Routers but I still stand that the products like the Netgear DG834, D-Link DSL504, Belkin products
and the products that have grown from these to include 54g wireless access points make a better buy.

Postby nelz » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:43 am

Notwithstanding the contents of those pages, it is still a fact that the two variants of the modem/router I recommended initially have identical features.
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!