Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

keep your eye on the bargains and save money take a look
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisdc

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: keep your eye on the bargains and save money take a look Reply with quote

<deleted>
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: RE: keep your eye on the bargains and save money take a look Reply with quote

Spam!
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: RE: keep your eye on the bargains and save money take a look Reply with quote

On 7th March, M-Saunders wrote:
chrisdc, please stop posting spam to our forums.

Instead of just deleting the spam, please could someone delete this serial spammer's account?

Grrrr. Evil or Very Mad
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: RE: keep your eye on the bargains and save money take a look Reply with quote

Only Mike, or one of the other admins could do that, as a moderator, I can only moderate the post. I have left the thread for Mike to see, so he can take further action should he wish to do so.
You know SC, you could always e-mail him yourself, I'm sure he's tired of getting e-mails from me Smile
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: keep your eye on the bargains and save money take a Reply with quote

spottedcat wrote:
On 7th March, M-Saunders wrote:
chrisdc, please stop posting spam to our forums.

Instead of just deleting the spam, please could someone delete this serial spammer's account?

Grrrr. Evil or Very Mad

I've previously requested this and was told that they were leaving the account 'cos they know [s]he is a spammer so know the posts can be deleted/ignored; whereas if the account was deleted they might come back again and we might not realise the new account was a spammer.

personally I still think the account should be deleted, and if they do come back delete them again. I suspect that all the posts come from a traceable IP address so could probably be blocked if required.
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: keep your eye on the bargains and save money tak Reply with quote

I've been spammed recently by someone wanting me to link to their site (no I'm not going to link it here Wink ) which aside from the rudeness of not taking no for an answer is completely stupid. The site they want me to link sells Mannkins (can't spell it) whilst my site is Tech related.<br>They do of course promise me a link in return, so I have taken the liberty of putting a link up on my site with rel="nofollow" in the attributes, so he will (probably) add me to his database and leave me alone, all to no benefit of his clients website.<br><br>
Spammers should be shot
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: keep your eye on the bargains and save money tak Reply with quote

@shifty_ben: I would have ignored this demands and put the emailaddres on the 'blacklist': remove to trash Evil or Very Mad But then, my website doesn't have a clickable emailaddres and has no relation with Linux or PC's Wink
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: keep your eye on the bargains and save money tak Reply with quote

Mine doesn't have a clickable email address either, this guy has taken the time and care to read the site to find my email address, before harrassing me to link him, he even started a Googlechat conversation with me to ask me to do it.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: keep your eye on the bargains and save money tak Reply with quote

chrisdc is no more. Rhakios, thanks for blanking the message!

M
MikeHarvey

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: keep your eye on the bargains and save money take a Reply with quote

MartyBartfast wrote:
I suspect that all the posts come from a traceable IP address so could probably be blocked if required.

There's no guarantee that they have a fixed IP address though so blocking that wouldn't work once it changed and would possibly block a legit account once the address was re-issued.
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: keep your eye on the bargains and save money tak Reply with quote

Even had the account been left active, I suspect he would have eventually clocked onto the fact that his posts were being deleted, and created a new account anyway.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: keep your eye on the bargains and save money take a Reply with quote

MikeHarvey wrote:
MartyBartfast wrote:
I suspect that all the posts come from a traceable IP address so could probably be blocked if required.

There's no guarantee that they have a fixed IP address though so blocking that wouldn't work once it changed and would possibly block a legit account once the address was re-issued.

Yes I know that, but I it would be trivial to check whether they've been posting from the same address all along, and if that address is registered to the 'shop' then they're fair game to be blocked IMHO.
kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: keep your eye on the bargains and save money tak Reply with quote

Or track them down to their office and beat them to death with a M$ wireless keyboard!

The idea of leaving the account active as a honeypot and automatically stripping the posts isn't a bad thought either. It's just not as fun.
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: keep your eye on the bargains and save money Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:
chrisdc is no more.

kilikopele wrote:
Or track them down to their office and beat them to death with a M$ wireless keyboard!

That sounds like what Mike has done. Laughing A bit extreme sending the boys round with the baseball bats wasn't it, Mike? Wink
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: keep your eye on the bargains and save money Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:
chrisdc is no more. Rhakios, thanks for blanking the message!

M

I just picture 1sf (troll) and hit the delete key - does anyone know where I can get a new delete key, I seem to have broken this one. Smile
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: