Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which broadband provider to use with linux?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coume

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

Hello,

I just moved in the uk and will be moving soon to a new place to start my new job...

I have to choose a broadband provider, but I don't know which one is the best for linux? the guy in the room is currently using NTL, so it would be pretty easy for me to activate NTL. but IIRC I read that NTL is not working well with Linux.

Anyway, I am looking for your advice! If the provider does not have a 12 month minimum contract it is even a better one Smile

Cheers,
Ludo
towy71

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ and checkout ISP Comparator in the first paragraph
hth
oh and zen should be one of your options Wink
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

I use NTL as my backup provider, via a router. although I connected the modem directly to my laptop when it was first installed and it was fine. NTL's cable modem has ethernet and USB connectors. If you pretend the USB one isn't there, it works perfectly with Linux.

As to which provider is best, that depends on your needs. The cheaper ones have bandwidth limits, or are less reliable. The more expensive providers tend to have less restrictions and more uptime, but then they are more expensive. Yer pays yer money etc. but it is well worth looking at ADSLguide to see what others got for their money.

For the record, I use Zen and am very happy with them. I don't think there's been any downtime since I switched to them about nine months ago. Until recently, my NTL connection used to fall over, albeit usually briefly, at least twice a day.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

[quote="nelz"]I use NTL as my backup provider, via a router. although I connected the modem directly to my laptop when it was first installed and it was fine. NTLI have blueyonder/telewest broadband have just gone over to linux mandriva 10.2. The motorola modem has ethernet and USB connectors. If you pretend the USB one isn't there, it works perfectly with Linux, power down the modem if used on USB first, then install your distro.
hairymunky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

Wanadoo works with my IPCOP router machine, only drawback is the bandwidth allowance, for which I've had a letter telling me Im over my 30Gb allowance (and they don't give you any way to check your usage)..
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

Use a 30GB partition for your downloads. When it's full, you're over your limit Smile
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

Use Plus.net 21 a month for 2mb and no limits, use it with a router and then a IPCop firewall, work like a dream, until they start doing maintenance and I panic as my connection is broken.....lol Shocked Laughing

Server operating system designed for schools:www.linuxschools.com
1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also use wanadoo with no problems i pay 27.99 a month for 512k unlimited which you can't get any more(and i won't be giving it up for a capped one Very Happy )
when i am downloading distros etc overnight i can hear them gritting their teeth at wanadoo Very Happy
last month i did about 10 or twelve overnighters and i get three letters from wanadoo asking me to upgrade to 1 meg capped Very Happy
forget it suckers Cool
paul

Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1slipperyfish (troll) wrote:
i also use wanadoo with no problems i pay 27.99 a month for 512k unlimited which you can't get any more(and i won't be giving it up for a capped one Very Happy )

Ditto. I signed up when it was still FreeServe.

I have been wondering about changing, as 27.99 now seems a bit pricey, but the service is very reliable, and most other services now come with a cap.
I find 512k is perfectly adequate for my needs - even when the family are all playing ToonTown (which unfortunately requires Internet Exploder) at the same time as I'm trying to download something.

So unless I can get an uncapped service for a lot less money, I'm staying where I am.

Nigel.
1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've always thought of going to metronet apparently they are really cheap but the sme as anything else you have to pay more to download more Rolling Eyes
i also signed upwhen it was freeserve and if i'm honest i can't see a better deal for my needs.
paul

towy71

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen offer uncapped and always on service cheaper than wannapoo: ZenADSL Home 500 : Home and Professional - priced at only 21.27 monthly
I went with Zen because they are the best on asdlguide.org and everyone I know, that uses them, has found them friendly and helpful.
My little modem/router has been up and running since the day my telephone line was enabled and feeds the SmoothWall Express box which I turn off when I'm away for more than a day or two.
I have downloaded several distros and update my Debian box and ubuntu/experimental box regularly with no problems (apart from my inbuilt stupidity)

I do not let my windows box connect to the outside world, paranoid? I don't think so Wink
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a long time AOL user - my wife moved here from the States and had a lot of friends and like AOL, so I opted for the 'easy life'.

I've never had a problem with AOL and routinely download updates and entire Distros - it would be interesting to see what my data usage has been like over the last few months.

It works happily using a router, and you can also access your email through packages like Thunderbird and Evolution.

Obviously I don't have a static IP address - no particular need at the moment - but that shouldn't stop you at least considering AOL.

All the best,

AndyH
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NTL is just fine for me using either a broadband router or just the ethernet connection from the modem. Probably would run into problems if using the USB interface on the modem.

ADSL? > well if you are gonna use ADSL then I would advise getting a Router for it as this will save you plenty of time configuring your internet connection/modem.

My IP address doesn't change ever, the only time it changes is when the MAC address of my router changes. (I put a new router in and IP changed - put old one back 3 months later and it changed back to what it had been before)

Hope this info is of use
Mike Smile
hairymunky

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
Use a 30GB partition for your downloads. When it's full, you're over your limit Smile

I would if I had anymore space Smile Maybe I should stop downloading new distros to try, and just wait until they're on the LF DVD...

Otherwise, I'll wait till I get another letter then jump the sinking ship....
Bulldog broadband offer 4Mb Broadband, but its only in certain areas and 2Mb elsewhere, I might swap over to them or maybe dial pipex as they also offer unmetered bandwith...

Hmmmphhhh wish I could get 4Mb!!!!!
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

Another thumbs-up for Zen here. Although it's not the cheapest, it's fast and immensely reliable.

M
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: