Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which broadband provider to use with linux?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zarathustra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="1slipperyfish (troll)"]i also use wanadoo with no problems i pay 27.99 a month for 512k unlimited which you can't get any more(and i won't be giving it up for a capped one Very Happy )

Okay I grant Wanadoo no longer offer your package, but ahem Demon offer the same package for 19.99 a month. Oh and I also realise there are still others which offer it for under 15 GBP per month!
zarathustra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition UKonline *no experience of yet* offer an 8mb connection for 29.99 a month, granted they are capped but at 500GB they may as well not be!
Hmmm, think I'll pop over and see how they are rated at the adsl site you all mention.

Oh btw got Debian for AMD 64, dvd platters downloading *mmmmmmm Debian for AMD 64* Droooooooool Smile
Nobber
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Virgin.net's basic ADSL service for the last four or five months with no problems at all. It's 512kbps (and download speeds are typically very close to that), 6GB download limit per month, and 17.99 per month. And when I signed up, there was no activation fee. Smile
Coume

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your answers Smile

Zen seems really interesting!!! Because their minimun contract is 1 month... which is great since I have no idea on how much time I will be working in this company Smile

Thank again for your help.
Ludo, going back to enjoying sunny london Razz
sandyman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not suitable for Coume (it would appear he's not in one of their areas) but I've been using Blueyonder for nearly 5 years now. Apart from some email problems last year (well if you're going to use MS Exchange what do you expect?) and a News server hiccup the year before I've found it to be very good. No download limits a range of speeds and reasonable prices. It's worked with Linux, Mac OS X and Windows without any problems.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

Like some other people stated, ntl has no *official* linux support but it can be used just fine. Just make sure you know the settings (ie. username, password, nameserver etc) and you'll be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

Can any one recomend an adsl isp wich offers unlimited connection and static ip please
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Can any one recomend an adsl isp wich offers unlimited connection and static ip please

Zen Smile Hrm, two plugs in one thread... Although funnily enough, I haven't used my Zen connection all week -- what with being away and all. Might have to close the account. Sob.

M
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with lin Reply with quote

I would never recommend Zen to anyone who wanted unlimited bandwidth. Who wants to share their pipes with such heavy downloaders? Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with lin Reply with quote

Thanks guys, just signed up with zen Very Happy
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
I would never recommend Zen to anyone who wanted unlimited bandwidth. Who wants to share their pipes with such heavy downloaders? Wink

Or heavy uploaders? Smile Once upon a time I wrote an article that appeared on OSNews, and which contained a text link to an image on my personal ADSL-connected server. The article was then Slashdotted... and the router lights went bezerk for days. And that's with an indirect Slashdotting, via another site, with only a small text link in the article.

For those who've had sites directly linked on Slashdot's front page, my heart goes out to you (and your bandwidth).

M

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

I've been using Freedom 2 Surf and have had no problems under Linux. Freedom 2 Surf ranks very nearly as highly as Zen on ADSLguide.org and is, for my purposes, cheaper. I pay 14.99 for 2 Mb/s and a monthly limit of 2 GB. Usage is unmetered between 1 and 6 am. Other options are available. The minimum contract is just one month.
TimIgoe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

Freedom2surf 512k unlimited - rock solid stable and only 22.50 a month Smile

static IP too - very useful for those wnating a home server and no ports blocked.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

just a quick reply ((( at this moment in time i do not recommend )))

B T.... there network sucks... and their tech support is even worse....

Im sorry you cant see some sites its not our problem just our new ip address we are giving out...

=
SUCKS
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux? Reply with quote

Just to add my 0.02:

I use NTL. Currently it is 18 a month for 1 Mb/s, and I am not aware of any download limit.

You connect through ethernet or USB, Ethernet is recommended, but if you have to use USB, the modem they give you is supported under Linux (uses the module cdcether).

Disadvantage is that you probably need Windoze to get started in the first place. I made the switch after I started Broadband, so this didn't affect me. If you have access to a copy of Win98SE, you can get it started, then delete it and install linux?

Bad side of NTL: Although on the most part their service is pretty solid, when it does go wrong, customer service is poor.

My overall advice to anyone wanting Broadband for Linux is this: Find out what device they use to connect you to the internet. Ethernet and Firewire depend on whether the Ethernet and Firewire interfaces inside your computer are Linux compatible. They nearly always are.

However, USB connections depend on whether the external device is compatible with Linux. So you need to find out that it is.

Once you have this information, you can weigh it up with the other pros and cons.

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: