Which broadband provider to use with linux?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux?

Postby nelz » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:36 pm

You don't need Windows to set up NTL. I just plugged the modem into my laptop's ethernet port and DHCP took care of everything.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby carl_h » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:11 am

Andy wrote:I'm a long time AOL user - my wife moved here from the States and had a lot of friends and like AOL, so I opted for the 'easy life'.

So how did you connect your Linux box to AOL? I too have been with AOL since I first got internet at home, but since my decision to move to Linux I've been looking around for a new ISP. Reason is, I phoned AOL Tech Support to ask about using AOL with Linux and they told me point blank that I couldn't do it. Then they offered me a dial-up connection for Linux for a mere £25 a year extra... :o

I'm currently seriously considering Pipex.
carl_h

Re: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux?

Postby Ram » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:35 pm

davecs wrote:Just to add my £0.02:

I use NTL. Currently it is £18 a month for 1 Mb/s, and I am not aware of any download limit.

You connect through ethernet or USB, Ethernet is recommended, but if you have to use USB, the modem they give you is supported under Linux (uses the module cdcether).

Disadvantage is that you probably need Windoze to get started in the first place. I made the switch after I started Broadband, so this didn't affect me. If you have access to a copy of Win98SE, you can get it started, then delete it and install linux?

Bad side of NTL: Although on the most part their service is pretty solid, when it does go wrong, customer service is poor.

My overall advice to anyone wanting Broadband for Linux is this: Find out what device they use to connect you to the internet. Ethernet and Firewire depend on whether the Ethernet and Firewire interfaces inside your computer are Linux compatible. They nearly always are.

However, USB connections depend on whether the external device is compatible with Linux. So you need to find out that it is.

Once you have this information, you can weigh it up with the other pros and cons.

Currently on NTL 1mb speed there is a 3gig per month limit but as yet not enforced, that I can vouch for :).

I'm lucky with my NTL modem, a surfboard SB3100 it does not have a USB connection.

User name and PW are not necessary unless your using NTL Mail but once the modems Mac address is registered with NTL it will connect to Linux using DHCP and a Ethernet connection, they'll talk quite happily without them..
Ram
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:53 pm

PlusNet have been excellent for me for the last 2 years - and they keep getting cheaper!! :D

Re: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux?

Postby A-Wing » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:00 pm

Anonymous wrote:PlusNet have been excellent for me for the last 2 years - and they keep getting cheaper!! :D

Must agree, 2 of our ADSL lines are on Plus.net and have been no trouble.
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

texas holdem blinds

Postby otard2955@yahoo.com » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:17 pm

Take your time to check out the sites in the field ofbest Texas Holdem Play money sites
otard2955@yahoo.com

play texas holdem for free online

Postby absolut4559@freemail.com » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:17 pm

You are invited to check some information aboutFree Texas Holdem Downloads
... Thanks!!!
absolut4559@freemail.com

RE: play texas holdem for free online

Postby A-Wing » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:27 pm

Shouldn't there be a report button for this kinda thing?
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby Eionmac » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:40 pm

""QUOTE : just a quick reply ((( at this moment in time i do not recommend )))

B T.... there network sucks... and their tech support is even worse.... UNQUOTE

Thisis wrong.

BT does not suport linux, correct, but if you connectvia a router (BT router or others) thsi connection is very releiable.

I used live linux as back up with BT dial up modem for years. Then when to BT broadbank with a 'broadband modem' (cheapest connection possible) which needed to be firmware upgraded to see linux, so I was only on Windows for a time. Then I went to a modem/router and now have Windows (base machine connection to suit withwork) and dual system linux a by live CD via router connected with ethernet (avoid wireless due to security r4easons).

BT has onlybeen down for a few hours in 5 years connections and theprescreene-mails for spam and anti-virus.

regards
eion
Eionmac

Postby A-Wing » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:10 pm

OK, in my point of view as an internet company reviewing another internet company, BT are the worst.
They are slow in actioning, break a lot of things, most important of which being port 25 (SMTP), their MX servers break often and for long periods of time (several hours) and basically they show signs of having no sodding idea what they are doing.
True I have had more complaints about them on the hosting / domains side of them than the general ISP side, but I still get too many complaints about them on the ISP side.
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:06 pm

you only have to compare ISPs at the http://adslguide.org to see who their customers say is the most reliable and it ain't BT!
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Previous

Return to Help!