Need help on Gentoo GRUB probem

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Need help on Gentoo GRUB probem

Postby cwkx » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:03 pm

Hey there,
I used the guide systematically on the back of your magazine and everything was going perfectly with the stage 1 installation.

Here is a full account of all the errors / problems that occured during the isntall up to where I am: The first sign of an error was when I had just finished the long emerge --emptytree system (I didn't use --newuse as the hanndbook disrecommended it) - at the end of it wanted to make a bootdisk and I inserted a floppy, but it failed so I quit - it then said somethings failed and that there was errors (it may have been nothing but im worrying that something went wrong with the kernel compiling)

Anyway, I then made a GRUB bootloader as the handbook said and did a manual thingy and continue till it said "restart" - this was where the next unnatural thing occured, when umounting for the restart, I couldnt do one of the drives -it said it was busy (again it may be nothing)

On reboot, the GRUB loader booted up fine however whenever I boot the option, it says "File not found" - if I remove the line and just type "ls /" it doesn't show my kernel (kernel-2.6.11-r3 or something) instead the closest thing I can find is a vmlinuz or something - if I tell it that the kernel is that (whatever it is) I can bootup and install things (Im doing emerge xorg-x11 -av as I type this, in this vmlinuz boot)

Before I found out that vmlinuz made it run, I went back to the livecd and typed ls /boot/ and sure enough my kernel (which was kernel-2.6.11-r3 or something) was there. Also before I emerge xorg-x11 -av in vmlinuz, I typed ls /boot/ but the directory seemed to be empty!?

Please expalin whats happening, im confused and want to know why GRUB isn't seeing my kernel and why & what vlinuz is. If you need more details on the problem, please ask.

Thanks and kind regards, Chris
cwkx

RE: Need help on Gentoo GRUB probem

Postby nelz » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:07 pm

A few points. Firstly, the instructions in the magazine override the handbook, because the DVD install is different in some ways. Having said that, the handbook does not recommend against emerge --newuse system, in fact it recommends it. The only time you need --emptytree is if you change CFLAGS.

The vmlinuz file is the kernel. When you do make install in the kernel directory, it links vmlinuz.old to your current kernel and installs your new one as vmlinuz. That way you can have two entries in your GRUB menu for the current and previous kernel, so you have a fallback if a new kernel doesn't work properly.

ls -l /boot and you'll see your kernel is there as vmlinux-2.6.blah, with vmlinuz as a symlink to it.
nelz
Site admin

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:00 am

Ah I see, so its perfectly fine to run off the vmlinux kernel - I thought it was just some test thing. I think im oging to do it all again anyway, the bootup isn't how I intended it to be and I made several errors along the way, thanks for your help and the guide.

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:27 pm

Hey again, I was having some more errors on the new install. Bascially I need to use the local mirror (the echo thingy) to get the files off the CD, but im now in the installed environement and theres no /mnt/gentoo etc so when I try to echo "local /mnt/cdrom/Distros..." etc I get errors. Any way to get around this? (Basically I want to emerge kde) also, my xorg cant detect my mouse!? :? Somehow, it worked on my old installation when I just gave it the default value but now it says it cant find "/dev/mouse" and returns an error - I dont know where to find out what my mouse is either. (All I know is that it is a Logitech Cordless Desktop LX 300)

Any ideas of how to solve these two problems?
Thanks, Chris

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:46 pm

Jeez, if you don't know what you're doing why are you even trying -- where does the sensor for the b*****y mouse plug into?
Have you been smoking something funny?
Get ubuntu and have a nice working system in 20 minutes

<removed>

Postby cwkx » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:10 pm

Uhh, anyway, well what im trying to do is evident; get gentoo working. :roll: I solved the mouse problem, turns out it wanted to be called /dev/input/mouse0 rather than /dev/mouse. Still stuck on making the echo local thing work in the new installed environment though..
cwkx

Postby nelz » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:31 pm

Suely the reason for not installing Ubuntu is self-evident, that the poster wants something other than Ubuntu. I agree that Ubuntu is fairly easy to install, which I suppose makes it a good choice for those unable to complete a site registration form.

Another idiot increases the vote to make this forums members only :(
nelz
Site admin

Postby big_ones » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:57 pm

I have run into problems with my gentoo GRUB problem as well.

After installing Grub, rebooting and selecting Gentoo it has given me

Code: Select all
root (hd0,0)
   Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
kernel /kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r11 root=/dev/ram0 init=linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_
root=/dev/hda3 udev
       [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1600, size=0x17db70]
initrd initrd-2.6.11-gentoo-r11

Error 1: Filename must be either an absolute pathname or blocklist

Press any key to continue...

I am using SuSE 9.2 Live CD but cant mount into hda1 to edit anything. How is this done?

Thanks.
big_ones

Postby nelz » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:44 pm

Anonymous wrote:Hey again, I was having some more errors on the new install. Bascially I need to use the local mirror (the echo thingy) to get the files off the CD, but im now in the installed environement and theres no /mnt/gentoo etc so when I try to echo "local /mnt/cdrom/Distros..." etc I get errors. Any way to get around this?

Yes, remove /mnt/gentoo from the command, because you're already there if you've chrooted. But this will fail if you also missed the previous mount --bind command. There was a reason for telling you to do this before entering the chroot, so the best option is to exit the chroot, run the commands then re-enter it, as described in the "How to restart" section on page 118.
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!