How Linux can cause you windows problems....

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: How Linux can cause you wind

Postby 1slipperyfish » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:33 pm

jjmac wrote:I did mentioned carraged. I was thinking of these containers i saw once where a drive was just inserted into it then it could be connected to a controller socked via flat cable. Seemed neat enough, i guess it was designed to give it some stability. But not ultimately neccessary. Just something to plug into as a temporary measure, would do.

jm

i used to use one for my linux drive before i rebuilt colin they are quite handy in an emergency :D
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: How Linux can cause you

Postby jjmac » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:11 am

Howdy slippery,

On thinking on that a bit more, my memory is still a little scratchy, but i saw the thing i'm thinking of at the markets.

iirc, the box/container/housing was designed to take a ide drive, but the cable that came out of it to the pc was usb, not flat cable. So my mistake there. No idea on how it performed.

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
>>
Windows XP can't even see the IBM service partition, let alone edit it.
The biggest problem is the 4 part boot sector that IBM Laptops come with.
>>

Now, that does sound like a conspiracy, of soughts :)

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:17 am

They perform at USB speeds, or Firewire speeds if you have the Firewire version. External SATA hasn't caught on yet, but will be much faster.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby jjmac » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:09 am

Arrr, so you recognise that nelz ... i suppose it could be thought of as a kind of adapter, if thats the right word. But my memory is scratchy on that. Though it could only have been a year or so ago, maybe two. It didn't seem such a bad idea really.

jm

jjmac
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:49 am

You can get adaptors that connect ot an IDE drive and a USB port. I've got one and it's crap. You can also get enclosures that hold a PATA/SATA drive with USB/Firewire connections to the computer. I've got a couple of those and they are pretty good but limited by the 480Mb/s and 400Mb/s maximum speeds of USB 2.0 and Firewire.

I do find the Firewire connection slightly faster, despite the lower spec speed, which just goes to prove there are lie, damn lies and specifications.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

How to get yourself shot by the designing dept !

Postby jjmac » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:10 am

hmmmm, well, it would seem that the flat cable plugged into a direct ide port is the go there :). It may take up some space on the side of a laptop, but that could be designed in. Possibly a hatch or sliding door could be used to keep the look smooth.

jm

jjmac
LXF regular

RE: How to get yourself shot by the designing dept !

Postby nelz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:27 am

There are two problems with that, ATA is not hot-pluggable and the maximum cable length is short and...

There are three problems with that, ATA is not hot-pluggable and the maximum cable length is short and the cables do not carry power unless you limit yourself to laptop drives.

eSATA deals with the first two and uses a far more compact cable with a maximum length of 2m.
nelz
Site admin

RE: How to get yourself shot by the designing dept !

Postby jjmac » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:20 pm

There not problems, just aspects. As the suggestion is to cover a 'when nothing else is available' recovery/emergency situation. Not as a concurrency. Especially when the inclusion would be trivial to design in. And as laptops are exercises in portable functionality, or at least should be.

If someone has just run off a cliff and are sitting on a ledge ... who cares what colour the rope is.

jm

jjmac
LXF regular

Re: RE: How to get yourself shot by the designing dept !

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:40 pm

jjmac wrote:

If someone has just run off a cliff and are sitting on a ledge ... who cares what colour the rope is.

jm

It has to be blue, I just couldn't face being rescued with a pink rope
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:46 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
jjmac wrote:

jm

It has to be blue, I just couldn't face being rescued with a pink rope
ooh it would have to be biodegradable too :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby nelz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:04 pm

jjmac wrote:There not problems, just aspects. As the suggestion is to cover a 'when nothing else is available' recovery/emergency situation. Not as a concurrency. Especially when the inclusion would be trivial to design in. And as laptops are exercises in portable functionality, or at least should be.

All laptops already have this built in, in the form of USB ports. OK, it's slow, but in an emergency, who cares how fast the rope is?

If you're that stuffed that you really need to connect an IDE drive directly to a laptop, open the case :shock:
nelz
Site admin

RE: Re: RE: How to get yourself shot by the designing dept !

Postby jjmac » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:17 am

Lots will be reluctant, maybe the compaction would get in the way there. I can just imagine my niece Ally, opening a laptop case. The last time she tried to cut along the perfs on a cd/dvd wallet , oops :). But she can insert a disc with the ease of a gun slinger. So maybe ...

It would be a legacy inclusion, true, and i'm sure it would somewhat bemuse the costing dept, but, it would be a good thing, like having a floppy drive available. But i can see how the port may crowd the design. The angle would have to be a suggestion, that it would help the customer believe that the company is actually thinking of them after all, and so be good for the business. (lol)

Pink rope (grin) ... Yes, never except 2nd best, even when stuck on a ledge, ... i agree there. I'd probably time out trying to decide on a colour though.

Biodegradable ! , real rope for the aesthetics, but it does tend to degrade a bit, just when it's needed too. I had a mild call with some old rope recently while doing some tree lopping. Nylon saved the day.

Ropes one of those things that, along with floppies and gaff tape, it's always good to have some around.

:)

jm

jm

jjmac
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: How to get yourself shot by the designing dept !

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:47 am

Biodegradable :lol:
A friend of ours stored her christmas ornaments in the loft in Somerfield carrier bags, not realising that they are biodegradable..
Next year, she picked them up, and the ornaments went everywhere. :oops:
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Other OS