Smart Boot Manager - BOOM not working

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Smart Boot Manager - BOOM not working

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:53 am

I have tried to get linux working on my school computers - as they have been so tight with us happing to use flipping windows. They have locked the cd boot and i cannot access the bios. So smart boot disk is the last option...

when i put it in the drive, when the computer is booting it is accessing it but doesn't seem to work however when i tried this on my other computer it worked. Is there any problem?

RE: Smart Boot Manager - BOOM not working

Postby nelz » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:30 am

Yes there is a problem, and it could be any problem.

See http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/index.php? ... wtopic&t=3
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:46 pm

well there is nothing else to say, as i mean there could be any problem, but not in the way i have explained it

Postby nelz » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:19 pm

How about telling us what happens. Do you see the POST messages? Does it start to boot? Are you using a floppy disk or CD? You are the one sitting in front of the computer, so you have to tell us exactly what happens.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:41 am

alright then, when i put the floppy with smart boot manger into my floppy drive (at school) when it boots up there is simply a black screen and the led for the floppy drive keeps flashing but nothing comes up - simply a black screen.

However with the same disk at home it works perfect , bung it in floppy drive and smart boot managers loads - as in the screen.

The one that doesn't work on are newer computers, however on older school computers without a dvd drive or cd drive it works fine. The newer computers are on an intel chipset - however next time i'll see if a portable version of an os called menuet os can start to load up, to see if i can boot from a floppy.

Do you think they may have disabled it to boot from it?
Or might it be something to do with the version of smart boot manager or a bug?

Re: Smart Boot Manager - BOOM not working

Postby zarathustra » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:31 pm

Anonymous wrote: Is there any problem?

Erm, correct me if i'm being a twit, but if you are a pupil perhaps there 'is' a problem, namely you ain't supposed to be installing anything on your school PC's! The problems you are having sound distincly like a person without sufficient admin rights to fiddle with boxes.

regards Zara...
zarathustra

RE: Re: Smart Boot Manager - BOOM not working

Postby nelz » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:34 pm

It does sound like either the box is set up to not boot from disk or there is a fault with the hardware. Try another bootable floppy, and Linux or Windows rescue disk would be a useful test. If that works at home but not at school, it would appear the school box can't boot from floppy.

See, there was plenty more to say, and once you'd said it we were able to provide some suggestions :)
nelz
Site admin

Postby towy71 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:03 am

My two school tech friends always disable booting from anything other than the installed OS because they have better things to do than spend all their time fixing things the pupils break. ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:07 pm

ah, i mentioned that older computers without a cd drive could load smartboot manager even though at the time i rarely get the chance to go in that computer room and i would have to make a usb copy of linux - as in say flash linux.

Don't try to make out that i don't have a clue about computers, i know that they disable booting options, however our admins are that stupid they'd block out cdroms from booting but leave the floppies to work. like i said i will try to get a bootable floppy such as a windows disk to work. The reason why they are stupid, about two months ago i could easily access windows files and create new ones and delete other people's files in windows 2003 - just basically addding shortcuts, then a link to their folder. Since other people knew they fixed it however still i can view other people's ffiles without changin them

anyway i don't need to install to the harddrive, i am only wanting to boot linux from a "live cd" as in knoppix which will not to any damamge at all. if it doesn't work i may ask them anyway if they can allow me to have one computer have the cd drive boot enabled as knoppix has a lot of useful tools!

anyway if the drive didn't allow access, why would the LED be flashing, it would only skip it out before the hard drive if they placed it in the right order - somethings you are saying don;t make sense.

Re: RE: Re: Smart Boot Manager - BOOM not working

Postby nelz » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:29 pm

Anonymous wrote:Don't try to make out that i don't have a clue about computers,

Did anyone say that? Although you don't seem to be that clued up on asking for help. Giving insufficient information means people can't help. Getting snotty when they reply means they won't help.

Anonymous wrote:anyway i don't need to install to the harddrive, i am only wanting to boot linux from a "live cd" as in knoppix which will not to any damamge at all.

How is the BIOS supposed to know your intentions before you boot? If booting fro a particular medium is disabled, it is disabled for all uses.

Anonymous wrote:anyway if the drive didn't allow access, why would the LED be flashing, it would only skip it out before the hard drive if they placed it in the right order - somethings you are saying don;t make sense.

Maybe because the BIOS is still detecting the presence of the disc, even though it is not booting from it.
nelz
Site admin

RE: Re: RE: Re: Smart Boot Manager - BOOM not working

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:51 am

people keep saying comments like " there 'is' a problem, namely you ain't supposed to be installing anything on your school PC's!" don't think i know - that is what i mean.

I don't unverstand what you mean by the second paragraph - do you mean the it managers, as they program the bios (slightly confusing what you said)

if the bios new there was a disc in the drive, such as a cd drive if you leave one in it would read it (as in the LED flashing). So something must be happening

However i forgot to tell you that if you take out the floppy - it is still being red, led flashes, which may show that it is intentionally been read - even though i should have said this it was really important until you mentioned it.

"However", reffering back to the black screen, if it wasn't been read like you say, but detected, wouldn't it just go straight on and boot from the harddisk - i am sure i said that it finished on a "black screen"

Blatently about being snoty, or what ever that means, is only in the way provoked by the way i have seen, that i don't have clue about computers - it isn't the way you've directly said, even though you haven't but other people have, but by the content it gives me an impression of so.

Postby nelz » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:03 am

That LED flashes because the that is how the computer checks whether there is a disk in the drive. It doesn't mean it will boot from it, because it may be a non-bootable disk or floppy disk booting may be disabled, as is likely here.

As to your last paragraph, it was the content of your previous mails that I was commenting on. You were giving no detail, and got narked when asked for more, claiming there was no more you could give, then later giving just the sort of detail you should have given at the start. We only know what you tell us, you are the one sitting in front of the computer and seeing just what happens when it doesn't work.

See here and here.
nelz
Site admin

Postby Nigel » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:21 am

One point that I feel I ought to emphasise here...

Linux is about freedom of choice. The freedom to run the software of your choice on YOUR computer.
It is NOT about running the software of YOUR choice on SOMEONE ELSE's computer.

If your school sysadmins have locked down the computers so that they won't boot from CD, then that's their perogative. Talk to them and try to persuade them to give you access. But don't do it behind their backs.
By attempting to bypass the restrictions they have set, you are actually in breach of the Computer Misuse Act (if in the UK - I suspect most other countries have similar legislation).
In any business, doing what you are doing without the consent of the OWNER of the computer is good enough grounds for you to be fired.

You may not like the restrictions placed upon your computer use in school, but don't forget it is not your computer. If you don't like it, ask if you can bring your own computer in to work on. And don't be surprised if they reply something along the lines of "only if you get it past the small appliance electrical tests, and provide proof of adequate insurance, including 3rd party liability insurance".
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:43 pm

starting with the nelz, this is becoming an argument, which i can see - i apologize for not giving detail, however i didn't think about mentioning that extra detail, people forget. Aswell to the second paragraph, i would be wondering if the drive was still being checked, would it ask for a boot disc? I am trying not to argue, but it seems a bit odd for it to create a black screen and not go onto windows? Anyway i'll see what happens with a windows boot disc, if it works there is an answer...

On the second post you say about freedom to use linux - but is there a right to be dictated by the school to what os we are using, i like the suggestion of asking if you can put it on which i agree with - but still it cannot be illegal.

anyway found a copy of the "act" you said...

1(1) A person is guilty of an offence if
a) he causes a computer to perform any function with intent to secure
access to any program or data held in a computer
b) the access he intends to secure is unauthorised
or
c) he knows at the time when he causes the computer to perform the
function that this is the case.
1(2) The intent a person has to commit an offence under this section
need not be directed at
a) any particular program or data
b) a program or data of any particular kind
or
c) a program or data held in any particular computer.

this is just the first section - the only thing that is incriminating is whether perfomonign something such as running knoppix - however i don't knowwhever i am allowed to use it - am i in the rights of being in a public place where i get the freedom to do what i want?
I can understand in a buisness - they own their own computers, i wouln'd want my computer being messed off, but at school is different.

Anyway i cannot say more until i get any chance to get on the computers, as it has been a week really - so i'll give it another go, i'll try two copies and if it doesn't work i'll gather as much information to help you with.

Hope this pointless argument can end and you can help out soon......

Postby nelz » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:04 pm

You are right in that it is odd that if doesn't simply skip the boot disc and go to the hard disk. Maybe there's some strange setup there, or maybe the floppy drive is fscked.
nelz
Site admin

Next

Return to Help!