Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Damn Small Linux on Dell Latitude D610

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Damn Small Linux on Dell Latitude D610 Reply with quote

Background:
I have a laptop from work which runs a locked down XP and work rules preclude installing anything on it anyway. It would be nice to run what I want from a USB key. From your recent roundup Damn Small Linux looks good.

The problem:
I have downloaded and burnt two CD images dsl-1.2.iso, dsl-1.2-syslinux.iso.

Both CDs are bootable and contain KNOPPIX, lost+found and index.html files and folders. One also has a boot folder.

If I boot off the CD with the boot folder then no matter what options I select I see the start of the kernel loading (2.4.26) and then the screen goes blank and the machine locks solid. Power off/on and repeat.

The second CD fails in a similar way except that the failsafe option works. However the failsafe option disables useful things like USB support (see 'background').

I looked in the boot older and found an isolinux folder containing (amongs other files) isolinux.cfg. This appeared to include the options used for a failsafe boot (nousb nofirewire noagp, etc.) so I tried that with the other CD but it always locked up. (I thought I could start with a successful boot and then remove options until I isolated the problem and had USB working).

For reference Knoppix 3.8.2 runs vanilla straight from the CD (but is a bit big for my USB key).

I have looked in linux-laptops.org but I haven't found anything relevant so I am open to any ideas (or alternatives) so that I can install linux on a USB key and run it on this machine with support for ethernet, wireless and as much else as is possible.

Thanks for any advice.
fingers99
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Damn Small Linux on Dell Latitude D610 Reply with quote

I think you can use the Knoppix "cheatcodes" with DSL (which is Knoppix based, anyway).

So, at boot you'd enter "noagp" so you saw:

boot: noagp

But you'll get a quicker answer on the DSL or Knoppix forums.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: RE: Damn Small Linux on Dell Latitude D610 Reply with quote

Thanks but, as I said, I tried the cheatcodes that were included with the isolinux.cfg 'failsafe' option. I even added a few such as noapic noapm but it still locked up. I will check to see if there are many more.
fingers99
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: RE: Damn Small Linux on Dell Latitude D610 Reply with quote

OK, but you only tried the bootcodes included in the failsafe option: there may be others.

The DSL forum is here while the Knoppix one is here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: RE: Damn Small Linux on Dell Latitude D610 Reply with quote

Sorted! A strange thing. Of the two CDs the only one that would boot cleanly was the non-syslinux one and that only with the failsafe option. No assortment of command line options would work on that CD.

However after wasting a lot of time I decided to give the syslinux CD another go with my new array of command line options - and it worked. I eventually whittled the dozen or so options down to 'acpi=off'!

That still doesn't work on the non-syslinux CD but it works a treat with the syslinux one. Early success suckered me into relying on the wrong CD!

Moving on . . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: