Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

permissions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lanser

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: permissions Reply with quote

I have a shared folder in the /home folder that all users of our home pc can access for storing joint pictures/music etc. However when an individual user adds a folder/album the resulting files/folders have permissions as follows -rw-r--r-- which means that no one else can edit, add or download to mp3 unless thet remember to change permissions.
I set the sticky bit but that only worked for the main folder, can anyone tell me how to set it so that all users can add or edit to their hearts content

regards

John
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: RE: permissions Reply with quote

It will be likely that the resulting permission are just reflecting what is enabled for the owner/group of the top directory concerned. The permissions on that directory will govern the permissions for what is created in the directory. You may just need to alter that for the directory and edit the owner/group permission state.

Setting the 'sticky' bit on a directory will just mean that only the owner or root can alter the files within them. Which isn't what your looking for. Linux will ignore it on files.

]# chmod 777 /home/<shared_folder>

If you have "linuxconfig" installed, the editing of user/group states is fairly straightforward.

jm

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
ped

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're probably needing in this case is a modification to the umask, the default permissions for newly-created files and directories.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: