Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suse 9.2 cover disc install issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
glen4cindy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Suse 9.2 cover disc install issue Reply with quote

Hello. This is a really great magazine, and a great website. Here in the USA, we don't have any mags of this quality that I am aware of. I would love to subscribe, but, by the time I pay the exchange rate, and the difference in our currencies, it is more expensive for me than to truck to the bookstore every month for the latest copy.

I am having a problem with the Suse 9.2 coverdisk though. I installed great and runs really great except for 1 issue.

If the PC sits idle for 20 to 30 minutes, the dumb thing locks up so that I have to pull the power to get control again. I have 4 different removable hard drives in this so I can play with different distros. I have Mandrake 9.2 & Ubuntu running on 2 of the HD's right now, also (don't hate me!) XP Pro for a certification book that I am working thru right now. All of these run just fine. They keep running for hours/days without any lockups.

Any ideas? This is a 500 MHz proc. with 256 MB RAM, the HD that I have the Suse on is 20 or 30 Gig, and I have just PCI video, and PCI eth0 card installed.

Thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: RE: Suse 9.2 cover disc install issue Reply with quote

I had this problem with a lot of distros on my 850MHz Celeron.

I think I resolved it by disabling ACPI. I use Mandrake so sorry, I don't know off hand how to disable it from YaSt, but I think you can do it each time you boot by pressing Escape at the bootloader and typing linux -noacpi.

Doctor Flange

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: RE: Suse 9.2 cover disc install issue Reply with quote

Thanks, I will try that!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: