Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Saturday Afternoon......
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggsinclair
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: My Saturday Afternoon...... Reply with quote

Hello!

A lesson learned...

I sat for a good few hours on Saturday at my parents house, after having driven a few hundred miles to get there, because "Linux had broken their scanner".

They have a HP5400c and after doing a bit of web trawling I found a few fixes for SANE loaded and reloaded various backends and various other fixes that I would rather not have spent an afternoon doing only to find that I could not fix the problem. That was until I noticed that my mother, in her infinite wisdom had unplugged the USB cable!

Now thats annoying!

Has anyone else had a "I wish you had told me that before" moment?

Cheers.

Gordon
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: RE: My Saturday Afternoon...... Reply with quote

And this is why help desks always start off with apparently silly questions like "Are you sure it's plugged in?"

Laughing
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: RE: My Saturday Afternoon...... Reply with quote

I know most people have heard it before. I know it's an urban myth. But the old ones are the best. Smile
Catsworth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: RE: My Saturday Afternoon...... Reply with quote

Spent an hour trying to work out why my in-laws' printer wasn't printing. Whenever a print job was sent to it a sheet of paper was sent through the printer, and the print head went back and forth, but there was never any type on the printer.

Yep.....new cartridge fixed it.....
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: RE: My Saturday Afternoon...... Reply with quote

I phoned a famous tech support company recently because my lappy wasn't connecting to the wifi network. They first asked me to bring up the dialog with the IP config in it. I said that is useless because I can't connect to the wifi network. They then got me to force the IP address to a static one, again I told them that was useless but did it anyway. This kind of thing went on for an hour until I was put on to a real tech support guy. 5 minutes later he talked me through some very hidden firmware stuff which instantly fixed it.

At least it was on paid work time Smile
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: RE: My Saturday Afternoon...... Reply with quote

Confession time:

I once logged a H/W fault to our internal engineer 'cos my monitor was stuffed. He walked straight up to it & turned up the brightness and there it was !!! Embarassed It seems the "Telephone Sanitisers" had been round while I was out at lunch and turned the brightness down while cleaning it with a duster !
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: RE: My Saturday Afternoon...... Reply with quote

MartyBartfast wrote:
Confession time:

I once logged a H/W fault to our internal engineer 'cos my monitor was stuffed. He walked straight up to it & turned up the brightness and there it was !!! Embarassed It seems the "Telephone Sanitisers" had been round while I was out at lunch and turned the brightness down while cleaning it with a duster !

I phoned Vauxhall once saying my dash lights were broken. Turns out my eldest son had turned the brightness down while I wasn't looking Smile
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: RE: My Saturday Afternoon...... Reply with quote

MartyBartfast wrote:
Confession time:

I phoned Vauxhall once saying my dash lights were broken. Turns out my eldest son had turned the brightness down while I wasn't looking Smile
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: My Saturday Afternoon...... Reply with quote

He did it twice! You really should look out for that son of yours. Laughing
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: My Saturday Afternoon...... Reply with quote

Damn it, the forum said it denied the first posting I made as I had made too many posts in a short amount of time. Obviously I shouldn't trust phpBB (not that I ever did anyway).
Arthur_Dent
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the days before broadband and wi-fi, when I was still "a suit", I got back to my hotel in Switzerland at 2am having wined and dined the client (on expenses of course). I needed to finish the presentation I was giving to the board at 9am the next morning. Unplugging the hotel phone and connecting the modem lead into the back of my laptop I was horrified to find that I could not connect to my office network.

I got onto our tech support guys and after several escalated calls to several very professional and very patient people who talked me through a very thorough troubleshooting process it still was not working.

I was adamant that it had worked earlier in the day with the same laptop in the same hotel room connected to the same telephone socket. I had changed nothing in the time before and after dinner.

About halfway through the third or fourth call I had cause to turn the laptop around. It was at this point that I noticed - to my eternal shame - that I had the telephone cable plugged into the ethernet socket instead of the modem socket.... I mumbled something about having an idea that I wanted to try, and said I would call them back to let them know if it worked (I can still feel my cheeks going red from embarrassment even now).

Of course with the line in the right socket it connected first time. I called the tech support guys back with some half-baked guff about some configuration setting that I had changed "and now it's fine!". I don't think he believed me (we'd tried every combination of configuration at least three times) but he was happy to get rid of me and I was happy to escape from my shame...
Diagmato
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent bloody ages searching websites for why a new hard drive just wouldnt get detected - I even requested to return it to the manufacturer. Turns out I forgot to plug the power into the hard drive Sad.

Micro$oft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the full house
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run our hotline, and those are pretty tame.
This place is where you read the real name and shame. Some of my client howlers are on there, are you?
Mr. Green

Here is my most recent favourite:

Installing MFPs on an insurance broker's network, at a small satellite site, their server is still NT4, (pending upgrade) so we have to install 12 pcs with local drivers over a tcp/ip port.
2 of us go to each PC in turn and login as administrator (suppose the fact that they just gave us the admin password should have warned us), install the print driver and the lanfax driver (all downloaded from the MFPs) configure the accessories and the presets so they can do their letterhead jobs, etc.
logout, job done.....
Except when the users come back from lunch there is a great clamour. Nobody can log in!!!

Initial panic, trying to think what we could have done to trash user logins.

So I go to a user...let's call him Robert Smith
"Can you try and login for me?"
"No, its asking for a user name and password,I don't know it"
Asking the admin staff, I establish that his user name is robert, and his password is...robert!

Turns out that this guy has been using the same username and password for 4 years, and just copies his username into the password field, but he can't remember his own name staring at him every morning!
He was not alone, the entire floor did not know their usernames or passwords (which were the same, and their own names).
I will never feel comfortable dealing with an insurance broker again.

towy71

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#I changed the monitor unplugging the vga cable from the back of it and plugging in a new monitor and still I got no screen display, then I remembered that I'm plugged into a kvm
Embarassed Embarassed doh! :knotted-hanky-pose:
OnlyTheTony
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I was seriously involved with computers I once visited a client of the bank I used to work for who gave me the old "You know a bit about these things.." before proceeding to tell me that the sound on her laptop wasn't working and she wasn't happy because it was working fine yesterday and now she can't get through to their IT people to sort it...

I turned the volume up.

That seemed to do the trick.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: