Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scripting on OSX

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pins
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Scripting on OSX Reply with quote

Hello again, my chirpy, cheerful chums.

I have been asked to write a script that will 'preferably' run from an OSX server that will gather the information from 'system profiler' on a bunch of macs on a network.
I have tentatively told my boss that this is possible on the grounds that:
1. It's BSD based, so scripting should be quite powerful, and;
2. I thought someone else was going to have to implement it.

Does anyone have any experience of this, or any words of advice?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Scripting on OSX Reply with quote

Google would have given you the answer to this, which is that you can use Bash, and examples of how to do it.
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Scripting on OSX Reply with quote

I have never used it (I use bash, php or perl), but applescript is supposed to be good http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/applescript/. It should integrate with the OS in the way you want.
ollie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: RE: Scripting on OSX Reply with quote

The easiest and cheapest way to do this with a lot more functionality is Apple Remote Desktop. It gets all of the information from System Profiler as well as allowing remote graphical access (I know you can also easily do remote desktop through VNC - I do it at home to manage my daughters Macs) and remote installation of software, updates, etc.

For a UK price of GBP349 (don't have that funny shape in Australia Laughing ) that allows unlimited client management it is very cheap.
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: RE: Scripting on OSX Reply with quote

Isn't ARD just a glorified VNC? Which you can get for free
ollie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Scripting on OSX Reply with quote

A-Wing wrote:
Isn't ARD just a glorified VNC? Which you can get for free

As I said above, you can do it through VNC and manage each Mac individually, but ARD is VNC on steroids. You use it to manage multiple Macs at the same time, download scripts to multiple Macs, query multiple Macs for hardware and software installed, install software to multiple Macs and more. If you are manging a networked Mac environment it is brilliant in allowing remote troubleshooting and management.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: