Ark Linux

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Ark Linux

Postby moj » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:18 pm

I'm fairly new to Linux and bought this publication as it had an ISO of Ark Linux, aimed at newbies. I was therefore unimpressed when I booted from the cd and began the install only for the machine to shut down immediately and spit out the cd. It does this everytime.
I then went to the Ark website where I found most of the forum was dedicated to this problem with fairly unsympathetic admins.

This distro was aimed at newbies and so a smooth install is crucial (infact the magazine states it is "as simple as it gets"). Admittedly I maybe should have looked into Ark linux a little more before purchasing the magazine, but maybe the writers could have done this before endorsing a distro that is clearly not ready for general release.
moj

RE: Ark Linux

Postby Flea » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:30 pm

I have to point out that, just because it didn't work for your box, does not mean it is "clearly not ready for general release" how many pc's out there refuse to install XP? I would hazard a guess at quite a few, does this mean that XP is "clearly not ready for general release"?

There are plenty distros aimed at newbies. Perhaps you could try out some of the following -

Xandros
Mandriva
Ubuntu

Dave.
Flea
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:35 pm

how many pc's out there refuse to install XP?

67 :D
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby nelz » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:17 pm

Does it give any information when the install aborts? That could hold the clue to the reason for your problem, and a possible solution. I did test Ark Linux before putting it on the disc, running several complete installations with no sign of any problems, except the one covered in the magazine.

The Ark Linux forums have a couple of topics on this problem, with some useful fixes. There were also some problems caused by people incorrectly burning the ISO to CD-R, for which you can hardly blame the distro.

If it really won''t work with your hardware, try Kanotix instead. The DVD gives you a choice of distros, make the most of it.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:43 pm

My point is that the distro was aimed at newbies. With some tweaking I got it going, however I don't think this could be expected of someone completely new to linux. And so I stand by that it is not ready for release, as it's target audience will have trouble making use of it.

As for not running on my hardware, a quick look at the forums shows I am not the only one. As for WinXP (something I do have a lot of experience of) I have never had a problem with installs; to one admin retorted that his first linux install was from source, implying everyone else must be perfectly capable. If this is aimed as a desktop OS to take linux to the masses he obviously doesn't know his target audience at all.

Now running, it seems to have decided to be bilingual and along with attempts to make it "user friendly" in my opinion leaves this OS at best a work in progress (i.e. currently a confused mess). I'm afraid I'm going to have to try some other distros

Postby ggsinclair » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:45 pm

Hello!

"I booted from the cd and began the install only for the machine to shut down immediately and spit out the cd. It does this everytime. "

I have had exactly the same problem!

How did you solve it?

Thanks.

Gordon
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
ggsinclair
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:56 pm

Anonymous wrote:My point is that the distro was aimed at newbies. With some tweaking I got it going, however I don't think this could be expected of someone completely new to linux.

Fair comment, but there is so much variety of hardware out there that the only way it can all be tested is if users give feedback. I hope you will do this, you may not have had to pay money for Linux, so an email to help get the problems resolved seems a reasonable price. Bear in mind the comments in the magazine. these are not big distros produced by commercial entities. Each of them is produced by a very small team of enthusiasts. If you have useful feedback for them, I expect they will welcome it. On the other hand, if you barge into their forums telling them what a pile of c**p their labour of love is, don't expect a friendly reception.

I stand by my comments in the magazine though. This was one of the easiest Linux installers I've tried, and I've tried a lot.

Anonymous wrote:...leaves this OS at best a work in progress

All software is either a work in progress or abandoned.

Anonymous wrote:I'm afraid I'm going to have to try some other distros

Don't be afraid, we provided you with a choice of distros so that you could try more than one.
nelz
Site admin

Postby Lancer » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:06 pm

Reading the review here http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=5874 I would tend to agree with you in that there are people who would be confused (how many would know what the reviewer means when he says "If you choose to open Konsole you find you're logged in as Arklinux..." ?) especially when there are hardware dependant bugs in the install process.

Then again, there are a host of people I actually try to steer away from Linux... you know the ones who find even Windows 98 "search for files" a bit too daunting? I don't show them Linux because I end up making a huge unpaid support job for myself at their whim... unless of course I set them up a custom made desktop in Fluxbox, where the menu items only read "connect to net / browse www / email / word processor / audio player / games" or similar with no option for them to ever configure anything.

It's so frustrating to set someone up on Linux only to have them go back to Windows just because I hadn't quite got java or flash plugin (or maybe a certain video codec) working on my last visit.

I notice the screenshots for Ark look a lot like Knoppix CD distros. Usually this is my first point of call for newbies. If their machine likes Knoppix, I rip them a copy to get used to the environment and only give a hard drive install of (whatever) if they get back to me because they really want me to.
Lancer
LXF regular

Postby alloydog » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:10 am

I have to agree with moj, on this one, and say that if a distribution is aimed at newbies, it should be as easy a possible to install and be expected to work on a wide a range of kit as possible.

The excuse used "it can't be expected to work on every thing" is pretty lame. OK, so in really nothing can. But in most the average PC is based on standard components and operations. Although, for example, motherboards will use there own drivers for things like IDE, PCI and other buses, the range of chips is not that wide, and the basic fucntionality again is fairly standard, and supported by even the basic Linux kernel arrangements.

Linux advocates are claiming that Linux is ready for thedesktop - to me that means that unless you are running some exotic hardware, or the distribution is aimed being a minimalist distro, you should be able to just boot from the CD/DVD, and have a [i]functional/i] installation. OK, not necessarily fully function. Maybe the graphics need setting up, maybe a few additional hardware devices need drivers installing. But you should be able to get to a basic state where you read help files. A distibution that can cause a common PC, say one with well known component manufacturers, is clearly not ready to be used by a newbie.

I have used, and still do, distributions put together by quite small operations (one & two man), and they have worked straight out of box. so, it seems not a case on testing with everything, but rather carefully selecting what you use in the first place.
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:09 am

i can't get it to install either :roll: i even tried the nousb it says to type if your installation hangs.with the same results :roll: the arch one goes straight on but i was scared as it looked a bit technical for the install :oops:
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Return to Help!