emerge again and again?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

emerge again and again?

Postby gentoo wanabee » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:57 pm

Hi guys.
Got questions about the emerge stage. Am installing a networkless stage 1 gentoo from a dvd and all has gone well till the emerge stage were various packages could not be found and I am being asked to download them.
The first of these was dev j2sdk for which I then turned the 'use' flag off
USE="......-java" and started the emerge stage again, but now I have the same problem for python. If I trun that flag off do I have to start emerge again?
the missing file is html-2.3.4.tar.bz2 needed for python-docs-2.3.4 in dev-python.
starting to go mad emerging over and over again. Any help folks :oops: [/quote]
gentoo wanabee

RE: emerge again and again?

Postby nelz » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:17 pm

Python is a core part of Gentoo, so it should be on any disc, even a basic stage 1. Have you set the doc USE flag? This isn't normally used, as it only covers developer documentation. User documentation is installed by default.

When doing a networkless install, it is best if you do not add too many USE flags to the default, as they will often bring in extra dependencies.

If you add -pf to your emerge command, it will give the URI's of the files it needs, so you can download them separately and copy them to your distfiles directory.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!