New OS

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

New OS

Postby jolharg » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:56 pm

Hi. I'm on the way to making a new OS. I plan to program it in Assembly and directly create a disk image...won't be too hard I hope.
I've seen the work done by MenuetOS and Visopsys and like it. I hope to create my own graphical system, and use basic module procedures from the Linux kernel for hardware procedures.
However I only have the idea. I am a complete newbie at this. Are there any programs and tutorials that would help me for ASM to compiling to an image that will run in QEMU? This is a big step for me. I have no idea how to do this. I've tried the tutorial at http://linuxgazette.net/issue77/krishnakumar.html ... this seems to be the idea but I can't expand on it.
I'd also appreciate it if somewhere someone would like to help me with this programming ASM lark and help create the complete OS in a mid-term timeframe. Any takers? :) I'll distribute the "top-secret" plans to any takers...

Thanks in advance for help guys.
jolharg
LXF regular

RE: New OS

Postby Rhakios » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:23 pm

Now if only Mike wasn't off on holiday, I'm sure he'd give you plenty of pointers. In the meantime, you could always have a look at the future Microsoft-killer that is MikeOS! :)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby roseway » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:35 am

Good heavens, you're a brave man, jolharg. I can't help, but I do wish you every success.
Eric
roseway
LXF regular

Postby kilikopele » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:04 pm

As do I. I sure hope you will post your progress here--both your successes and setbacks--as we'd love to see your progress.

One site I've found very educational is the Kernel Development page at: http://www.osdever.net/bkerndev/index.php?the_id=90

I think someone here directed me to that site.
kilikopele
LXF regular

Postby jolharg » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:56 pm

Thanks very much, I'm sure I'll find that very useful....I'll need all the luck I can get! Yes, I'm mental trying to make an OS...in ASM...at 16...but I know that if you're determined and don't give up, you will succeed! Any more people who can help? Really, I'll need all the help I can get...
jolharg
LXF regular

Postby kilikopele » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:07 pm

At 16?! Good Lord, I have shoes that are 16.

If I find any other resources, I'll be happy to send them your way. Good luck!
kilikopele
LXF regular

Postby jolharg » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:38 pm

Thanks. I'll need it. I have an artist, but that's it at the moment...
jolharg
LXF regular

Postby Kev1729 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:23 pm

It's not exactly hard to write an OS, it just takes a long time, especially if you do it all in ASM, anyway this page has loads of links about pretty much everything to do with OS's:

http://www.nondot.org/sabre/os/articles
Kev1729

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:38 am

Hi Jolharg,

As Kev says, writing an OS is a long and laborious job. Some parts are fun to code, and you learn mountains of stuff along the way, but for the most part it's hard graft. I'd seriously consider choosing another language than assembly -- it's OK for making a very simple OS like MikeOS, but if you're planning a peoper system you're better off with C. Especially when it comes to coding the GUI...

Still, the MikeOS source code will show you how to make an x86 bootloader and perform various initialisation tasks. If you have any questions about it, you know where to ask :-) Also see http://www.osdev.org

Good luck!

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby jolharg » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:15 pm

Thanks...I expect it will be easier too programming in C. C it is.
jolharg
LXF regular

Re: New OS

Postby MikeHarvey » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:17 am

Rhakios wrote:In the meantime, you could always have a look at the future Microsoft-killer that is MikeOS! :)

But, Mike said that he doesn't want to take over the world. I can't say as I blame him, myself. The world's in a right mess so who in their right mind would want to take it over?
MikeHarvey

Re: New OS

Postby nelz » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:25 am

MikeHarvey wrote:But, Mike said that he doesn't want to take over the world.

That's what all evil dictators and mad scientists say :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

RE: Re: New OS

Postby kilikopele » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:36 am

Mike,
Where is your source code posted? I'd love to glance at it if only to see what you have invested in it. I'm hoping it's well documented.

If nothing else, if it prints out pretty, it may make for some nice wallpaper in my office. :)
kilikopele
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:00 am

Kilikopele,

You can get it from http://mikeos.sf.net -- grab the 0.40 Zip file or tarball. They include the full source code (see the kernel folder) and disk images. It's pretty well commented, and the DEVEL.TXT file explains how it all fits together.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby kilikopele » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:19 am

Cool. I grabbed it. Now I have some fun weekend reading. :)

This is not meant as one of my typical witty comebacks or a poke at your FAQ, but...

When you mention it's 16-bit and you have no plan for 32-bit protected mode, how grand a leap is that? Is it like turning your amp to 11 grand or parting the red sea GRAND!??
kilikopele
LXF regular

Next

Return to Other OS