Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New OS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jolharg
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: New OS Reply with quote

Hi. I'm on the way to making a new OS. I plan to program it in Assembly and directly create a disk image...won't be too hard I hope.
I've seen the work done by MenuetOS and Visopsys and like it. I hope to create my own graphical system, and use basic module procedures from the Linux kernel for hardware procedures.
However I only have the idea. I am a complete newbie at this. Are there any programs and tutorials that would help me for ASM to compiling to an image that will run in QEMU? This is a big step for me. I have no idea how to do this. I've tried the tutorial at http://linuxgazette.net/issue77/krishnakumar.html ... this seems to be the idea but I can't expand on it.
I'd also appreciate it if somewhere someone would like to help me with this programming ASM lark and help create the complete OS in a mid-term timeframe. Any takers? Smile I'll distribute the "top-secret" plans to any takers...

Thanks in advance for help guys.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: RE: New OS Reply with quote

Now if only Mike wasn't off on holiday, I'm sure he'd give you plenty of pointers. In the meantime, you could always have a look at the future Microsoft-killer that is MikeOS! Smile
roseway
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: RE: New OS Reply with quote

Good heavens, you're a brave man, jolharg. I can't help, but I do wish you every success.
kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: RE: New OS Reply with quote

As do I. I sure hope you will post your progress here--both your successes and setbacks--as we'd love to see your progress.

One site I've found very educational is the Kernel Development page at: http://www.osdever.net/bkerndev/index.php?the_id=90

I think someone here directed me to that site.
jolharg
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much, I'm sure I'll find that very useful....I'll need all the luck I can get! Yes, I'm mental trying to make an OS...in ASM...at 16...but I know that if you're determined and don't give up, you will succeed! Any more people who can help? Really, I'll need all the help I can get...
kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 16?! Good Lord, I have shoes that are 16.

If I find any other resources, I'll be happy to send them your way. Good luck!
jolharg
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll need it. I have an artist, but that's it at the moment...
Kev1729

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not exactly hard to write an OS, it just takes a long time, especially if you do it all in ASM, anyway this page has loads of links about pretty much everything to do with OS's:

http://www.nondot.org/sabre/os/articles
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jolharg,

As Kev says, writing an OS is a long and laborious job. Some parts are fun to code, and you learn mountains of stuff along the way, but for the most part it's hard graft. I'd seriously consider choosing another language than assembly -- it's OK for making a very simple OS like MikeOS, but if you're planning a peoper system you're better off with C. Especially when it comes to coding the GUI...

Still, the MikeOS source code will show you how to make an x86 bootloader and perform various initialisation tasks. If you have any questions about it, you know where to ask Smile Also see http://www.osdev.org

Good luck!

M
jolharg
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...I expect it will be easier too programming in C. C it is.
MikeHarvey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: New OS Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
In the meantime, you could always have a look at the future Microsoft-killer that is MikeOS! Smile

But, Mike said that he doesn't want to take over the world. I can't say as I blame him, myself. The world's in a right mess so who in their right mind would want to take it over?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: New OS Reply with quote

MikeHarvey wrote:
But, Mike said that he doesn't want to take over the world.

That's what all evil dictators and mad scientists say Smile
kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: RE: Re: New OS Reply with quote

Mike,
Where is your source code posted? I'd love to glance at it if only to see what you have invested in it. I'm hoping it's well documented.

If nothing else, if it prints out pretty, it may make for some nice wallpaper in my office. Smile
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: RE: Re: New OS Reply with quote

Kilikopele,

You can get it from http://mikeos.sf.net -- grab the 0.40 Zip file or tarball. They include the full source code (see the kernel folder) and disk images. It's pretty well commented, and the DEVEL.TXT file explains how it all fits together.

M
kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: RE: Re: New OS Reply with quote

Cool. I grabbed it. Now I have some fun weekend reading. Smile

This is not meant as one of my typical witty comebacks or a poke at your FAQ, but...

When you mention it's 16-bit and you have no plan for 32-bit protected mode, how grand a leap is that? Is it like turning your amp to 11 grand or parting the red sea GRAND!??
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: