FVWM? Idiot's guide?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

FVWM? Idiot's guide?

Postby chris_debian » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:21 pm

Hi, all.

I love several window managers, but think fvwm is great. Unfortunately, i'm too stupid too work-out how to do simple things like changing the background/ theme, etc. I generally use fvwm on debian. Does anybody know of o good how-to. I've liked some of the set-ups on the web, but never understood how to install them!!

Cheers,

Chris.
chris_debian
LXF regular

RE: FVWM? Idiot

Postby apoth » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:21 pm

You configure it all from ~/.fvwm2/fvwm2rc (or something like that). Just nick someone else's for now and modify it to get your head around what does what.
Taviso's perhaps.
apoth

Postby chris_debian » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:42 am

Good plan. Where did you find this one (or how)? I have tried to do this with other peoples set-up, but they've always been zipped in a way I couldn't figure, unlike this one.

Thanks,

Chris.
chris_debian
LXF regular

Postby apoth » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:06 pm

I've been a gentoo user (and at times fvwm) for the most part over the past year and he's a gentoo dev, so somewhere along the way I guess his name sunk in from their forums. If you google for fvwm2rc I'm sure you'd find a bunch more.
apoth

Postby jjmac » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:46 am

Have you had a look over www.fvwm.org ....

Last time i was there they had quite a collection of various peoples configuration setups...

A __lot__ will depend on which preprocessor your using. Fvwm can work with both the c preprocessor or M4. Personally, i prefer M4 as it provides much greater scope. But the configs will be quite different between to two.

As far as "themes" go ... it depends how you go about it, it would involve the "styles" you have set, what your using for your root window background, whether you have pixmaps associated with your windows, the colourisations associated with your main menu etc

No garentees but, if you were to post the config your using ... maybe something could be worked out with that.

You can place a lot of your config in seperate files as well, and then hook into them from your main config. It tends to keep things a bit more orded in that respect.

If you were to use M4 rather than the c preprocessor (it defaults to the latter) you would just need to startup with the M4 module

fvwm -cmd "FvwmM4 -debug $HOME/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc"

And change all of the "Read" cmds in your config to sinclude(filename) at the very least. "sinclude()" Inculde silently, continue on error or if file dosn't exist .. i think :)

M4 is one of those great unsung unix facilities :), it would make a great article/tutorial in LXF one day maybe (grin)

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby chris_debian » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:09 am

JJMAC,

I had a look at the fvwm site, but I got confused with how-to uncompress the configs etc. This is strane, as i've been into linux for 7 years, now!! Maybe the fvwm site and I just don't hit it off.

Cheers,

Chris
chris_debian
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:31 pm

>>
I had a look at the fvwm site, but I got confused with how-to uncompress the configs etc.
>>

Could you elaborate with an example file name ...

The config examples provided through the "Links" link under the heading "Quick Jumps" on the front page are standard ascii english files. And the wm sw is in standard ".tar.gz" formate

ftp://ftp.fvwm.org/pub/fvwm/version-2/f ... .19.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.fvwm.org/pub/fvwm/version-2/f ... 19.tar.bz2

]$ tar -zxf fvwm-2.4.19.tar.gz
]$ tar -jxf fvwm-2.4.19.tar.bz2

They also have rpm packages from sourceforge and standard .deb packages.

If you want to unpack a deb with out the package management system handy ... no problem ... it's just an "ar" archive.

]$ ar x filename.deb

gives you ...

data.tar.gz
control.tar.gz
debian

The last is just a text file which can be ignored. The control.tar.gz will unpack creating a directory called "DEBIAN" with the scripts that the management system would normally use to install/remove the package, along with a pa package description.

The data.tar.gz will unpack into your current directory with the actual files, in their respective install path structure.

Nothing to it.

To repack, just use ar but reverse the order.

It's been ages since iv'e been on fvwms' site :), looks like they haven't been idle :). Thanks for the nudge, iv'e been meaning to spend more time over there but kept putting it off (grin).

If yourv'e got any problems with it, just post the specific issue. Iv'e never been on there forum as such so i can't say much about that. Actually, i didn't really notice before that they had one ... will have to look into that too :D.

Can't really figure what you mean above though ??? (grin)

jm

-=-=- fvwm rocks -=-=-
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

RE: FVWM? Idiot [SOLVED]

Postby chris_debian » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:38 pm

JJ,

Thanks for taking the time to document that for me. I have printed it and will (with the help of a glass of red, crisps and dip) read through it and learn. Thanks to everybody else for your help.

Cheers,

Chris.
chris_debian
LXF regular

Return to Help!