Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Draytek Vigor 2830n - DNS resolution of DHCP-allocated IPs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kvonh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Draytek Vigor 2830n - DNS resolution of DHCP-allocated IPs? Reply with quote

I've just bought a Draytek Vigor 2830n router. Mostly very pleased so far BUT ... The Draytek is happily doling out IP addresses to local clients using its built-in DHCP server, however those address allocations are not accessible (i.e. names are not resolved to the issued IP) via the draytek's DNS service.

Now all the words I've read suggest that the the DNS within the Draytek is a proxy, and not a "proper" DNS service in & of itself. But I wondered whether anyone has had any joy setting it up to fulfil locally-allocated IP-address DHCP name-resolution requests. It seems odd to me that such a key function should be absent from an otherwise very sophisticate and capable router, which makes me think I may be missing something?

If I'm right, I fear I will have to connect through to a different machine in order to do DHCP allocations and local-address-DNS-resolution, which would be a shame - so any top tips would be most welcome.

Thanks

James
paulm
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen any router DNS setup that will resolve local names. I doubt its possible.

To enable that sort of service, you have two choices - set up and maintain /etc/hosts on each machine (a bit of a pain, since you need to keep them in sync when any changes are made), or set up a local server which runs bind, dnsmasq or similar software.

I currently use an old Amahi server which runs bind, but that really is gross overkill for a small local network. The Amahi box is being replaced with a box running SMS, using dnsmasq for DHCP/DNS services. All I need is time to get the SMS box completed...

Paul.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have too many computers to use a custom hosts file, so that's what I do, but I keep on running across the term "zeroconf" when ever I read about networking. It seems that when Avahi (which provides zeroconf for Linux networks) is "run in conjunction with nss-mdns it offers host name resolution". But then, I've never read a tutorial on how to set up Avahi and as I don't really need it, I'm unlikely to.
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulm wrote:
I've never seen any router DNS setup that will resolve local names. I doubt its possible.

Odd. I see them all of the time, most routers will serve as DNS relays or local DNS servers (usually for CIFS subnets), but only if they are the DHCP server as well.

However, I rarely use them, I usually use an internal DNS server, with the router as the secondary server.

Probably if configured as a DNS relay or Proxy, it will not work, as local addresses are by definition not available to external DNS.

bobthebob1234
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some rubbish netgear thing/router that doesn't do local DNS, but I have an openwrt switch/wifi box that does dhcp and dns automagically Very Happy

If you kvonh/James set up static (dynamic) ip addresses (or reservations) does that help? I have noticed that before, where if I don't add a reservation then no dns, but if I set a reservation and give it a name then I can ping that reservation by name
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: