It's amazing what conference call boredom prompts you to do

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

How do you spend your time in conference call hell?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:06 pm

Contributing happily to the conversation.
20%
Wishing your IT hadn't blocked YouTube.
20%
Writing a virus to shave fractional cents (farthings) out of your transactions.
20%
Contemplating the death and/or dismemberment of the person who arranged the call.
20%
Comatose and/or drunk.
20%

Total votes : 5

It's amazing what conference call boredom prompts you to do

Postby kilikopele » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:06 pm

While stuck on a mind-numbing conference call, I noticed all of my clients use the exact same e-mail disclaimer. While the droning went on and on, I decided to alter it and send it in reply to see if anyone caught it.

"The information in this electronic mail message is the sender's intellectual ramblings and may be legally deranged. It is intended for the addressee(s) and anyone else who will listen. Access to this internet electronic mail message by anyone else is a complete waste of their time. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is wasteful and may be mood-altering and diminish sex drive."

"The sender believes that any virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious code belongs to Microsoft to propagate their Windows Defender service. This message and its attachments could have been infected during transmission since Microsoft writes the software many offensive e-mail servers use. By reading the message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts full responsibility for taking a stand against over-commercialized and proprietary tripe brought forth by monolithic operating companies in favor of their open-sourced alternatives. The sender's employer is not liable for any loss or damage arising from their stupidity in choosing this inherently insecure operating system."{sar}
kilikopele
LXF regular

RE: It

Postby shifty_ben » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:42 pm

Nice disclaimer, I find it annoying when I have an email conversation going and someone just hits the reply button. I get their disclaimer and my disclaimer, and another disclaimer from their company and so on.
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:12 pm

Hah!
Last edited by M-Saunders on Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:15 pm

Your post looks odd Mike :?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Ram » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:12 pm

My disclaimer is in the Sig, I only add it once in the first reply or initial mail, then any further replies just get a Kind regards, Cheers or a Thank you and my first name.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby Dark » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:02 am

I would just mess around with Beryl and stuff, fun when your on the phone and bored
Dark

Postby shifty_ben » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:46 am

I was once playing Worms whilst on a conference call. Forgot to turn the sound off though (one of those days) so I suddenly had everyone in the company whats went "Yippeee". Some hard explaining to do there!
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Re: RE: It

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:10 am

Rhakios wrote:Your post looks odd Mike :?

Yeah, the lower box is about three times its normal height. No idea why!

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: It

Postby Rhakios » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:07 pm

And only on that post :? :? :?

Actually, have you changed it? It only looks about twice as high as normal now, but that could be because I'm using my laptop at the moment.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby kilikopele » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:52 pm

shifty_ben wrote:I was once playing Worms whilst on a conference call. Forgot to turn the sound off though (one of those days) so I suddenly had everyone in the company whats went "Yippeee". Some hard explaining to do there!

That's hilarious. And in regard to your previous response, that's what prompted the boredom tinkering. It was a long stream of disclaimers--all of them verbatim and all of them equally worthless.

You might as well end your e-mail with: "Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited. Some cars not for use with some sets. Do not taunt Happy, Fun Ball." and be done with it.
kilikopele
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:02 pm

shifty_ben wrote:I was once playing Worms ..

At what?
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:08 am

Ram wrote:My disclaimer is in the Sig, I only add it once in the first reply or initial mail, then any further replies just get a Kind regards, Cheers or a Thank you and my first name.

I take it one step further - I trim all irrelevant junk from all emails and then answer the questions or problems through the email and make sure there is only one copy of my sig at the bottom. This is exactly what nearly everyone does with forum postings.

There are two big problems with this. The first one is that M$ Outlook auto replies with everything below your message and many people don't have the netiquette experience to know how to do this. (I can even remember one poster to LXF saying he was reprimanded because he didn't just do what M$ Outlook did - A-Wing?). The second one is company mail servers, usually M$ Exchange, automatically adding the legal junk at the bottom of every email that is sent.
ollie

Postby kilikopele » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:48 am

ollie wrote:
Ram wrote:My disclaimer is in the Sig, I only add it once in the first reply or initial mail, then any further replies just get a Kind regards, Cheers or a Thank you and my first name.

I take it one step further - I trim all irrelevant junk from all emails and then answer the questions or problems through the email and make sure there is only one copy of my sig at the bottom.

Yeah, I do the same. I used to show my USENET roots by using <snip> to show sections I had removed. Finally, I had so many people ask what "snip" meant that I broke myself of the habit. It gets annoying answering self-evident questions.
kilikopele
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:18 am

Maybe you should use "[snip]" instead of "<snip>". That's what I use and I don't recall anyone ever asking what it meant :P

These auto-added disclaimers get ridiculous though. My partner has her work emails forwarded to her home address and each one has two disclaimers, one added on receipt and another when it is sent back out.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby kilikopele » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:47 pm

:) I'll be embarrassed if it was just my choice of brace that was throwing people off. :)

I think the auto-disclaimers can be humorous sometimes--like when you get a one-word reply, like "yep!" with a 300 word disclaimer following it. But, yeah, they are mostly annoying.

Maybe my next conference call project will be to translate into pig-latin or Russian or something. (No, I don't speak Russian. It wouldn't be a challenge if I did, would it?)
kilikopele
LXF regular

Next

Return to Off Topic