Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too high price for LinuxFormat in U.S.?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zenboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Too high price for LinuxFormat in U.S.? Reply with quote

Perhaps, they should have a online version for paid members to read but without the ability to download the webpages of the magazine. They should also provide download software of the DVD/CD for the paid members. That way, he/she would not be able to illegally distribute the contents of the magazine, but he/she would be entire to download the software of the DVD/CD (since most of these software are free anyway on the Internet).
Of course, the membership fee of the online should be less than that of the shipped version. I would be glad to pay just to read magazine for less of the price. any other ideas?
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Too high price for LinuxFormat in U.S.? Reply with quote

evilnick wrote:
six month-old hotpicks aren;t that hot any more, though still worth a look.

After that amount of time, I like to think of them as LukeWarmPicks.

M
skecs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Too high price for LinuxFormat in U.S.? Reply with quote

Yes please bring down the subscription price - overseas subcribers are charged in £ (GBP) and at current exchange rates on the MasterCard it works out at $215 approximately. This is over three times the price of subscriptions to standard computer magazines like apc, PC Authority, PC World, etc.

I have an stake in this - my subscription is nearly due!
... (0)>
... / /\
.. / / .)
.. V_/_
Linux Powered!
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Too high price for LinuxFormat in U.S.? Reply with quote

zenboy wrote:
Perhaps, they should have a online version for paid members to read but without the ability to download the webpages of the magazine.

Interesting idea, but how would it work? I have seen sites that disable the ability to save image and contents from their site, but when I look in my browser cache, there they are and I can copy them out to somewhere else on my system. Just curious you understand Smile
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Too high price for LinuxFormat in U.S.? Reply with quote

Could be done using java or flash?
zenboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Too high price for LinuxFormat in U.S.? Reply with quote

I wish I am technical to answer your question, Rhakios, but I'm not. Perhaps, those out there with enough knowledge could answer this. Anyone?
When I was on the yearly subscription, I look forward to the arrival of this mag on my doorstep, but now I head over to the nearby bookstore and read it there.
It was hard trying to explain to my wife why it was justifiable to pay $238 for a mag. of a yearly subscription when other magazines are only $30-50 price range.
I wish the management could come up with a better solution than to tell us that the second party vendors are the ones gouching us (which I may believe, but that still leave us in the dark). I wonder if the management has ever discussed this at their meeting and come up with some ideas to resolve this issue.

Quote:
Part of the price premium is that the mags are being shipped out from a foreign country, etc, but clearly they are selling enough otherwise they wouldn't bother stocking it at all!

This may be true; however, retailers are making profit on only the fews-of-deep-pockets and they are satisfied with those profit. As for the most of the average joes on an average incomes, doughing out for an astronomically priced magazine would leave them with a feeling of discomforting and unjustifiable. Thus, the first-party-vendor would lose out on these majority audience of the big pie.
Until otherwise, we would see in the future that the US readers will switch to other subscriptions of local and economical.
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Too high price for LinuxFormat in U.S.? Reply with quote

This problem is not unique to LXF. Pretty much any publication sold outside it's country of origin carries a price premium. Just look at the cost of US technical books in the UK - pulling one at random off of my bookshelf (Sams Teach Yourself Visual C++), the US price is US$34.99, the UK price is £31.95. At recent exchange rates that's around US$60.
I somehow doubt the author gets any more royalties for an overseas sale than for a domestic one, and shipping costs (especially bulk shipping by sea) won't come to $25 per book. So someone's making extra profit somewhere...
Farslayer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still bucking for a subscription version of the Magazine here in the US that doesn't have the DVD.. that would HAVE to lower production and shipping costs.. I have broadband access and can download pretty much anything I need, or since I run Debain I can simply apt-get most items. the only things I would miss out on are the occasional full distros that are not freely downloadable, but you know what ? I can get by without em...

The US Subscription price is pretty brutal, and I just don't know that I can continue to afford to subscribe if it doesn't change in the near future.

come on lxf help us poor peeps out if you can..
bigjohn
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Too high price for LinuxFormat in U.S.? Reply with quote

6.49 GB£ = 11.4074 US$ and thats fresh from XE.com so I'm not entirely sure that I can see the zenboys PoV because the 3.60 US$ difference between the cover price is, I'm guessing, reasonable for probably 2/3 different modes of transport, who aren't charities, will all have costs/mark up!

the 3US$ (currently £1.70) to 8US$ (currently £4.55) isn't too far from the average price here in the UK (though lots of "monthlies" are slightly higher, in the £5/£5.50 -8.79US$/9.67US$ range).

So bearing that in mind, is 15US$ really a huge amount? I'd say that if it was 20 bucks, then that would be bloody extortionate. Though aren't subscriptions available via Air mail ???
wackman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Too high price for LinuxFormat in U.S.? Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'm a long time fan (approx 2 years) of LXF and a fairly recent fan of the website. I just had to sign up for the website because I had to respond to this post.

I agree about the price here in the states. Comparing LXF with, for example, Linux Journal, it's the difference between a 15.99US magazine with a 5.99US mag. Of course LXF is worth it, but when you're thinking "OK, I can either get LXF or I can drive home after work" it's really hard sometimes to make the choice I want. Ultimately, I do know that the Editors and Publishers have little if any power of what the price is going to be once it's here, but I just wish there was easier access to select parts of certain issues, if not the entire mag. By the time it gets here, anyway, it's a month behind what it is in the UK. It looks like the September issue is either out in the UK or about to come out. Over here, I think it's the July issue that just came out (the one about emulators).

It's also frustrating to be missing one part of one of the series. I read one or two parts of Jono's Kdevelop programing tutorials. Since I've always hated programming, I thought it'd be a good way to get my feet wet. However, I'm missing one or two of the parts. True, I could care less what LXF's thought were about SuSE 9.1 last year (since we're on like 9.3 now), but to have access to missing parts would be invaluable.

A few weeks ago, I got an email from US magazine "PC Magazine" about them starting an online version of the magazine for a subscription rate (much lower than the printed version, like $15US or $20/quarter). Same editorial content, little or no advertising. You don't need to ship websites. We're directly at the horse's mouth on the website. Why not an online subscription to give us access to an online version of the latest copy (or the previous one, it'd be the same as the one on the shelves here anyway). Charge maybe $5-10/month or maybe $15/quarter.

If anyone is worried about DRM, that isn't really much of an issue anyway, is it? I could scan in magazine XYZ and put it online anyway. I think we have more honest people (in the linux community) anyway.

wackman
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Too high price for LinuxFormat in U.S.? Reply with quote

I can hardly see a hugely seeded torrent of LXF everywhere. But you got to remember the big wigs who make these decisions have hardly ever touched a PC, plus we are in th UK which is pretty dark ages compared to the US anyway (especially here is Wales! Smile ). If Future isn't going to invest in an online format, maybe it should invest in a US publisher also, I'm sure there is enough demand across the board of mags they do.
M0PHP
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you americans pay one of your English friends to take out a[nother] subscription (and cover postage) to send over to you as soon as it's been received at this end? I don't know the UK cost of sending a magazine to the US but it can't be that much.
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That implies that Linux geeks have friends Wink
Would you really trust Royal Mail with one of the most expensive magazines in the country and for them to get it out of the country. Especially when they seem to be able to loose recorded post traveling less than 20 miles.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Too high price for LinuxFormat in U.S.? Reply with quote

wackman wrote:

If anyone is worried about DRM, that isn't really much of an issue anyway, is it? I could scan in magazine XYZ and put it online anyway. I think we have more honest people (in the linux community) anyway.

wackman

I'm so very tempted to disagree with this bit. LXF has around about 100 pages, my admittedly rather old scanner takes about 80 seconds to scan a page of LXF at good-enough-to-read resolution. So, it's going to take me over 2 hours to scan a copy of LXF. Is it really worth all that time and effort for me to do something for a lot of thankless so-and-sos?
On the other hand, if I have a ready made pdf it'll take me about two minutes to send a copy to everyone in my address book.

As for honesty...
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Too high price for LinuxFormat in U.S.? Reply with quote

I'm sure if someone took that long to scan it they would sell it on ebay or something
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: