Back to School shopping

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Back to School shopping

Postby phorneker » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:04 am

(A little background here: When I am not working on my website, or freelance consulting, I work in retail.)

This past week, having worked four straight days in the shoe department, I have had plenty of moments where I have three to four customers at once asking for my attention in finding shoes for customers. You could say that this is the retail equivalent to a denial of service attack. :-)

How many of you find that the retail stores are just as busy during the "back to school" week as it is during the month of December?
phorneker

RE: Back to School shopping

Postby Rhakios » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:38 am

We don't get much "back to school" business in a builders' merchant. Since the weather picked up though, we do see quite a few more builders. They all seem to be digging holes to put plastic drainage in at the moment, we've had to place three stock orders already this month :shock:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

RE: Back to School shopping

Postby donoreo » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:30 pm

I used to work for Radio Shack (Tandy stores to guys at one time) in Canada. Back to school was huge, but not like Christmas. We did sell more calculators in Aug and Sept as well as computers. Computers were bigger for back to school than Christmas.
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

Re: RE: Back to School shopping

Postby bigjohn » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:34 pm

Rhakios wrote:We don't get much "back to school" business in a builders' merchant. Since the weather picked up though, we do see quite a few more builders. They all seem to be digging holes to put plastic drainage in at the moment, we've had to place three stock orders already this month :shock:

Ha! no the busy times at the builders merchant are just before the spring/easter bank holidays (but that means at the merchants and the distribution sites - having sat in a queue at Hansons Nuneaton just before last easter. The queue being about 40 trucks (artics) long - a mere 5 and a half hours, just to get loaded).

Oh and theres always the 0700/0730 and 1330/1400 rush, as the builders (chippies, sparks, etc etc) just think that they're the only important people, forgetting that without me, other drivers and our trucks they wouldn't have anything at the merchants to buy in the first place! But still just desert their bloody vans anywhere.

The only good thing being, that because they haven't got a clue about transport, they do "get the hump" when those nice friendly chaps at VOSA pull them over and bust them for unsafe/over loaded/generally dangerous state of their vehicles :D

With the original thread topic in mind, last week I delivered the first of the Christmas stock to a local branch of Boots. They still have the "Back to school" stock on the shelves, and haven't even thought about the halloween stuff yet!

So don't forget kiddies, only a hundred and something shopping days till Crimbo - get there early :wink:
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits
bigjohn
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Back to School shopping

Postby Dutch_Master » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Yeah, I know about "back to school'. Not in the way like the retailers (and their suppliers ;)) do, but the end of the summer holiday (or any holiday period for that matter) doesn't go unnoticed in the Public Transport sector. Overnight the vehicles fill up, transporting kids to and from school. All sorts: young kids, just going to kindergarten with their mums (and the occassional dad on his way to the airport), the GCSE candidates, weary A-graders starting at their new school and the 'experienced' braging teens in their last year. Oh well, it'll wear off once they get their first job... :?
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:24 pm

we don't have a back to school rush in the spying industry, every day is a rush :D i'm thinking of going to work at a builders merchants(perhaps as manager) for a holiday, it would be more relaxing than flying to cyprus :D
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Dutch_Master » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:41 pm

And then you wake up? :roll: :?
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby M0PHP » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:26 pm

Yeah back to school is always busy for me.. that's when the kids come back and I get the usual "I forgot me' password!!"
Image Image Image
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:47 pm

Dutch_Master wrote:And then you wake up? :roll: :?

yes and then take it to the max every day 8) or did you mean managing a builders merchants???
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Rhakios » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:53 pm

And I didn't think our management could get much worse. :roll:

Let's face it 1sf (troll), you can scarcely manage to tie your shoelaces, what chance do you have of managing a business in an industry you know nothing about?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Dutch_Master » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:23 pm

Rhakios wrote:.... what chance do you have of managing a business in an industry you know nothing about?
Is there any business he knows something about? Except perhaps hijacking threads, annoying the regulars (and others) here and be a general nuisance to the public at large. :twisted:

:mrgreen:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:44 pm

Dutch_Master wrote:
Rhakios wrote:.... what chance do you have of managing a business in an industry you know nothing about?
Is there any business he knows something about? Except perhaps hijacking threads, annoying the regulars (and others) here and be a general nuisance to the public at large. :twisted:

:mrgreen:

exactly, managing a bulders merchants could be just up my street :D
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Rhakios » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:26 pm

Please do try one up your street, and not up my street. :P
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby 1slipperyfish » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:07 pm

i'm at the end of your street now, just watching<sinister smillie>
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Rhakios » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:49 pm

There is a fat bloke up the end of street just at the moment, ugly looking SOB as well. :shock:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Next

Return to Off Topic