College

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

College

Postby Kev1729 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:23 pm

I'm doing a HNC in computing and I have to do a MCDST. Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician that is. Which totally sucks, for 3 reasons; 1) I have to pay for all the books and exams, 2) It has nothing to do with the college, it's all run by Microsoft and 3) It takes away 4 hours of time that could be used to do something more useful.

I don't get it, when I first had it I asked what was up with basically training us all to run Windows crap, they said it almost guarantees me a job when I leave. But I'm here to bloody well learn, not to get a job at Dell's support call center, it's bad enough there is no in-depth classes on other OS's or FOSS. We just lightly touch on 'that Linux thing' in VirtualPC.

Ah well, at least when I do the degree I might be able to learn something.
Kev1729

RE: College

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:47 am

That sucks. At my 6th Form college, we had to study from a textbook that said that Bill Gates invented BASIC!

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby pootman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:44 am

Perhaps you misread:

Compared to other operating systems, Bill Gates's invention was basic.
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
pootman
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:11 pm

Hah! If only...

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:21 pm

I'm not sure that you can say that Bill Gates invented anything :evil:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby pootman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:11 pm

Being incredibly rich and famous for being a geek?
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
pootman
LXF regular

Postby Kev1729 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:38 pm

:)

Reading my post again I'd just like to clarify: I'm not some Windows hating Linux fan boy. The course is totally independent from the college, anyone can sign up and do it. It just annoys me we are being forced into doing it. It has even caused the college to condense two classes into one, it's only been the first week and already people are falling behind.

Just imagine it, turn up first day expecting to learn how to code the Matrix or something only to be told you have to do this Microsoft stuff first, Oh yeah, and thats a few hundred pound onto of your actual student fees.

Seriously, I'm already in debt having to pay for all these books on the first bloody day.
Kev1729

Re: College

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:56 am

Kev1729 wrote:Ah well, at least when I do the degree I might be able to learn something.

Actually, you will probably have to UN-learn most of what you learnt already, and learn to do it "properly".

My daughter dumped her secondary degree in Photography when the tutor was dismayed that she wanted to know more about how to use a camera. (especially when she turned up with a well used SLR- most of the other candidates had snap cameras, 2 had no camera at all)
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

RE: Re: College

Postby Diagmato » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:54 am

Odd. It is frustrating when college's make out that Windows is the best thing that ever existed - I had a gutsful of a tutor always going on about how much Microsoft rules for making "brilliant" software - she particularly liked .NET.

The only linux they ever did was in Web Management - "Has anyone ever heard of a LAMP server? There is a popular operating system called Linux....(etc)." The real shock came when only 3 people in the class had even heard of Linux :s. Someone even asked "How do I install it on Windows? Do I need server 2003?".
My Blog

Micro$oft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the full house
Diagmato
LXF regular

Postby ethernet » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:46 am

Not all universities are that bad. I'm glad to say that FOSS and Linux are embraced by the university I'll be attending for the next few years. They run Debian on a lot of their servers and have a computer society which, from the website's content, seems more like a mini LUG.

C in first year, advanced C in second year and then Java in third year. Bring it on!
ethernet
LXF regular

Postby pootman » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:25 am

Have I misunderstood the original post, or does it take four hours to get your MCDST?

1. Is it plugged in?
2. Switch it off and on again.
3. Re-install the software.
4. Re-install Windows.

Four hours seems a bit much.
pootman
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:53 am

In four hours could you actually install windows and all the other stuff that you need to use Windblows :shock:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Ram » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:56 pm

Not with the users I use to speak to, half of them thought the monitor on/off button was also the power button for the base unit.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby pootman » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:31 pm

towy71 wrote:all the other stuff that you need to use Windblows :shock:

Not if you're on a dialup internet connection. Those security updates and bugfixes take days.
pootman
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:17 pm

towy71 wrote:In four hours could you actually install windows and all the other stuff that you need to use Windblows :shock:

Depends, last Thursday it took me 4 hours to install 1 program (Equitrac Express) on a win2K server.
It went something like this:
Install Equitrac Express:
goes to :
Install .netFx- "cannot install, because xxx.dll is too old". (this is on a server with all the service packs and upgrades installed, and a brand new shiny install CD).

search ms website, validate, install xxx.dll. reboot

"cannot install, because xxx.cab is wrong version"(despite it being a freshly downloaded .netfx package)
search ms website, validate, install xxx.cab. reboot

installed .netfx. reboot

install sqlexpress5:

runs through install, "hardware does not meet requirements"
search ms website, find that this is because there is not enough space on C:
Delete 4.5GB of HP temp files(well it is a print server-sigh) reboot

runs through install, "sql client could not be installed because xxx.dll is not available"
search ms website, find that this is because a failed install does not remove all files.
Uninstall sql client, reboot, reinstall- it worked! reboot

install Equitrac server and admin utilities, reboot.
license server, reboot.

etc,etc,etc.

lunchtime....

Note that all the problems were with the MS applications required for EE to function.

In total the install has taken 3 days so far, but that does include the java clients on the MFPs, the remote utilities, the print drivers and ports, configuring the accounts, configuring the MFPs, linking to AD, setting up security, etc., etc.

And we haven't even talked about centralised scanning or document trails, "follow me printing" queues, virtual printer redirection, and the 2 PCCV2 java licenses that activate online then fail to apply, with a weird error.....
And we have to train them how to use it all.

This is all to manage printing and photocopying on 11 MFPs (and god knows how many laser printers) at a new school with 1200 pupils.

And I find that a complete windowsXP pro install and configure takes at least 4 hours, and at least 12 reboots.
Depends on how fast your PC is, on how many apps you need, and how fussy you are about whether they work properly or not.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Next

Return to Off Topic