Computer failing to power on properly (most of the time)

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Computer failing to power on properly (most of the time)

Postby JS » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:37 pm

I'm having trouble with a dual boot machine (Windows 98/Slackware 11) that isn't powering up properly. (Of late) pressing the power button caused the power and HDD LEDs on the case to go on, but the system doesn't boot (i.e. nothing on the screen, no power to the HDDs.)

Hardware:

Cirrus Logic GD 5464 graphics card (lspci)
256MB RAM
Maxtor 2B020H1 (hda) and ST310220A (hdb) (hparm -i)
Motherboard:
KT3IS.B14 KT3-AS/KT3-AV/KT3-EV (reported by BIOS POST)
But dmidecode says: VIA VT8363

When the system works properly, the HDD makes a noise, and the HDD light goes off, flickering with activity. There is an initial system beep, and the BIOS screen appears, then LILO etc.

Now, on pressing the power button, the case's LEDs go on, and the 3 keyboard LEDs flash. (I assume the keyboard ceases to get power, as no keys then cause anything to happen e.g. Caps Lock, Ctrl-Alt-Delete). Both the CPU and PSU fans come on too. USB appears to get power, as when a memory stick (with an LED) is plugged in the LED goes on when the system power is on. To power off, I need to hold the power button in for a few seconds. It takes about half a dozen to a dozen attempts to get the system up and running.

I've checked all the cable connections (internal and external). I've reseated the RAM, CPU, graphics card and network card (no other PCI/ISA/AGP cards are present). I've unplugged/plugged the main power cable to the motherboard and the wires related to the power/reset switch etc. I've tried using the system without non-essentials i.e. CD-ROM, CD-RW, both hard drives, network card and floppy drive.

It looks to me like a hardware problem (motherboard? PSU?) but I'm at a loss!

Any idea what's causing this, and if so, how to debug/fix it?

Thanks.
JS
LXF regular

RE: Computer failing to power on properly (most of the time)

Postby Rhakios » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:05 pm

Without spare equipment (like another PSU) or proper circuit testers it's well nigh impossible.
As you have already mentioned, it's most likely to be the PSU or the motherboard (or even both if a PSU malfunction damages the motherboard), but without being able to swap either or both out, it's impossible to tell which.
The cheapest and easiest option would probably be to try a new PSU.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby pootman » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:42 pm

I have a system that does the same, because the PSU isn't quite dead yet, but somehow it's struggling on.
You could try disconnecting power to one of the hard drives and booting without it to see if that stops the error.

I have to disconnect the power on one of the drives, power up, wait to pass the post, plug in the live power connector and then hit reset to get the box up and running...
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
pootman
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:29 am

Then replace the PSU ASAP because failing PSUs are very good at killing hard drives :(
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby donoreo » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:03 pm

I will second, or third, or fourth the power supply.
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

Postby pootman » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:06 pm

Nelz, you bloody swine!

That box has been happily kick-started since before last christmas. I knew what I was doing was risky, you knew it, anyone with any sense knew it, but you couldn't just say it quietly to yourself, could you?

The psu is fine, but I've had to open a window for the smell of burning /dev/hdc...
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
pootman
LXF regular

Postby JS » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:44 pm

Regarding the computer I originally posted about, I think I'll be going for the new PSU option. If the motherboard isn't at fault, the only change I'll make is the PSU, but obviously if the PSU isn't the problem, I'll replace the motherboard (and CPU etc.? there doesn't seem to be such old technology for sale these days :-( ) - the question is, what PSU to buy!

I'm not sure of the current wattage (can this be determined from software, or by looking at it with the computer's case merely open?). Would ebuyer's "extra value" (or extra value gold) range be OK? I'm thinking along the lines of: this (£5.99/300W)? Or alternatively, what about maplin's range, e.g. this (£18.98/250W)?

I have picked the cheapest that seem to be compatible (I know little about such hardware), ebuyer seems much cheaper, but there's a maplin nearby (5-10 mins in the car). (The local store had a PSU/case deal for £25 last week - I don't know if it's still on, seemed a good deal.) Are these cheaper models a Bad Thing, or should they be fine as the system isn't exactly a high spec, latest kit for games etc. machine?

If the worst comes to the worst and the PSU wasn't at fault, would these PSUs be compatible with newer motherboards etc.? I would be trying to upgrade (replace with similar specification kit) as cheaply as possible, the current specs are fine for it's usage, so I wouldn't be getting top-spec PSU-beating equipment!

Oh, and any other suggestions for other/better retailers?

Thanks again.
JS
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:57 pm

For my system i got the best PSU that i could find an Antec it is the quality of the unit you should worry about not the price.

Enjoy the Choice:)
my box:Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb fedora 20 Win 7 acer S243HL X193W
amd XP1800 on a asusA7N8x/ 789Mb ram/ sda 120 Gb ntfs sdb 80 Gb ext3 (fedora 10) gForce 6800 gt 128 Mb
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:58 pm

Having said that, I've used the Ebuyer ones and they are quiet and seem reliable. Where it matters though, I've used an Antec though. The PSUs supplied with cases are generally the cheapest, shoddiest available, I always buy PSU and case separately.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:10 am

Be careful that the PSU has the correct connector for your mobo.

The wattage is usually on a label on the PSU, but cheaper ones may be a little "economical" with the facts.
Wattage can be "peak", "average" or "max constant"

More info here
and connector info here
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Return to Help!