Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Terms Of Use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Executor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Terms Of Use Reply with quote

I've just created an account and was surprised by this site's “Terms Of Use” and “Privacy Policy” documents. There are many aspects of these documents I am not happy with, but if I make this posting too long no one will ever read it. Therefore I will just focus on the first thing that concerned me.

Point 1 of the Terms Of Use document:
Each time you use or cause access to this web site, you agree to be bound by these terms of use, as amended from time to time with or without notice to you.

Why possibly without notice? I understand this is a very common EULA clause for software applications where the software manufacture has no means to contact the user at a later stage, but this is a website. We have to login. If the TOU doc changes just ask us to agree to it again next time we login. Point one of the TOU doc is very different to point 6 of the PP doc which is shown below.

Point 6 of the Privacy Policy document:
6. Changes to this privacy policy
Changes may be made to this policy from time to time. You will be notified of substantial changes to this policy either by through the posting of a prominent announcement on the site, and/or by a message being sent to the e-mail address you have provided, which is contained in your user settings.

I prefer the PP doc's approach to changes personally. The Electronic Frontier Foundation has a brief guide to EULAs and point one of this site's TOU doc bears a remarkable resemblance to point 5 of the EFF guide.

http://www.eff.org/wp/eula.php

(I do realise that I'm already stuffed as I have agreed to these documents)
pootman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Terms Of Use Reply with quote

Point 1 - That little box that says "Remember me" means you don't have to login each time. So you may or may not notice.

Point 6 - Whether or not you notice, they (Mike) will do their (his) best to bring it to your notice.

So as far as I can tell, that leaves your only real complaint being the fact that you have to agree at all, which as you point out, you already have.

I think we all went through a similar process, but mostly, we used these.

Welcome to the Forums!
Executor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Point 1 - That little box that says "Remember me" means you don't have to login each time. So you may or may not notice.

I wouldn't recommend automatic login from a security point of view.

Quote:
I think we all went through a similar process, but mostly, we used these.

I just came out of a cryogenic freezing chamber!

Quote:
Welcome to the Forums!

Cheers.
pootman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Globally devastating as the impact of some wannabe Dr Evil hacking my Linux Format account would obviously be, I find the convenience just too alluring.

Reckless, I know. Sometimes I throw recyclable material in the bin too.
towy71

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pootman wrote:
Sometimes I throw recyclable material in the bin too.
ooh you naughty boy Razz
as for the other tosh if you don't like it don't stay Rolling Eyes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: