The art of being user friendly...

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: The art of being user friendly...

Postby Marrea » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:21 am

Rhakios wrote:The art of being user friendly?

I've just been going round and round OOo's Impress on my husband's Windows machine looking for the setting to play a music file continuously throughout a whole slide show - in the same way I can on my PowerPoint. Having now done some googling I discover the OOo version he has is 2.0 and you can't do what we want to do unless you have 2.3 - so we are busy downloading that version now. If I'd known that, I wouldn't have wasted half of this morning searching around for something which wasn't there anyway.
Marrea
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: The art of being user friendly..

Postby Rhakios » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:29 am

Don't you get a green downward pointing arrow in the top right hand corner of an OOo window when there is a new version available for download?
I'd seen such a thing in the screen grabs in the LXF OOo special and wondered what it did, when I saw the same thing on my Vista install of OOo I clicked on it and found out that it was notifying me of a newer version being available.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Marrea » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:58 am

We probably didn't tick the option to be notified of automatic updates at the time we installed 2.0.

We've now downloaded and installed version 2.3 (good job our broadband is working today!) and have opted to be informed about updates, but I still can't find the relevant setting and I've just come across these statements in an online shootout between PowerPoint 2007 and Impress 2.3:

"However, Impress continues to lag because of its inability to control the playing of sound across a series of slides, or to record a narration directly from the program.. "

"Impress is advancing neither as far nor as fast as might be expected. Most significantly, despite some improvements, it continues to lag behind in its use of sound."

So it rather looks as if we will not be able to do what we want to do.

Have you noticed how once again I have neatly gone OT? What begins as derisory comments about how hard it is to get MS software out of its box suddenly turns into a comparison between MS Office and OOo. However, this time you started it with cygwin. :wink:
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:31 pm

Marrea wrote:Have you noticed how once again I have neatly gone OT? What begins as derisory comments about how hard it is to get MS software out of its box suddenly turns into a comparison between MS Office and OOo. However, this time you started it with cygwin. :wink:

I decline to accept responsibility on that score. I was merely commenting on how much more user friendly Vista becomes with a little Cygwin on it.

:)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Dutch_Master » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:48 pm

You mean *under* it ;) (vi$ta on top of Linux+Cygwin ;))
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:36 pm

Eh?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Marrea » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:39 pm

Rhakios wrote:I decline to accept responsibility on that score. I was merely commenting on how much more user friendly Vista becomes with a little Cygwin on it.:)

I suppose I can't get away with the argument that I was merely commenting on the user friendliness of PowerPoint v. Impress? :roll:
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:42 pm

If you like, I'm not picky :)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Marrea » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:53 pm

We women will always try to wriggle out of anything! :)
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:43 pm

Marrea wrote:We women will always try to wriggle out of anything! :)

:shock:

I am not, repeat not, going to deliberately try to misconstrue that statement.

:D
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Previous

Return to Other OS