Linux latest distros disappoint

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby sentient_one » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:38 am

me, anyway

pclinux

big daddy was cool supporting wired and wireless internet connections, but now abondoned in favour of distros which don't seem to support wired connections so well

ubuntu 7.10

never mind annoying 3d effects, where have my windows hard drives gone?

sabayon 1.1 pro

why is my sound card no longer activated

Guess I still have some older disks which work better - but this is hardly reassuring

Recent releases seem to be no steps forward, three steps back
sentient_one
LXF regular

Re: Linux latest distros disappoint

Postby ollie » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:07 am

sentient_one wrote:ubuntu 7.10

never mind annoying 3d effects, where have my windows hard drives gone?

Recent releases seem to be no steps forward, three steps back

Is this due to not having ntfs-3g installed, or because you need to create a UUID and add it to /etc/fstab? Did you choose to have the Windows partitions mounted as "/windows", "/ntfs-data" or whatever, during the installation?

I'm asking because I'm about to update to Gutsy on my main system. I have tried Gutsy on a "test" system and everything seemed to go OK.

On my current 7.04 install I added an external HDD (ext3) to /etc/fstab and currently use that for my nightly backups. I also added an external 80 GB drive that is formatted vfat/fat32 that I use for moving larger files (under 4 GB) from site to site. I have no problems with these or my Windows XP 64-bit install mounted in /etc/fstab with ntfs-3g.
ollie

RE: Re: Linux latest distros disappoint

Postby roseway » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:21 am

If the only recent distros you've tried are Ubuntu and Sabayon, then you haven't exactly tried a representative selection. Sabayon in particular is very much out on the edge in terms of what it's trying to do. Of course recent releases aren't going backwards generally. New distros come out nearly every day, and recent big name ones you didn't mention are OpenSuse and Mandriva. There are a zillion others.
Eric
roseway
LXF regular

Postby Gordon » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:31 am

If you're so disappointed with the latest linux distros why not try creating your own.

Linux From Scratch was inspired by one persons dislike of how the distros did things.

At the very least, building a Linux From Scratch will give you a massive sense of appreciation for the major linux vendors.
Gordon
LXF regular

Postby sentient_one » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:56 pm

I am coming from the point of view of a straight forward out of the box experience. Not everyone should need to be a linux guru.

Ubuntu 7.04 picked the hard drives without having to edit fstab. I haven't tried editing fstab in 7.10 I also found neither opensuse nor fedora would set up the hard drives ootb. OK I have main windows drive c: second d: sata (fat 32) and third physical drive purely for linux. Maybe some distros assume u just have one physical hard drive.

Sabayon is fine distro but I don't know why the pro version won't play ball with my esonic/sounblaster pci card (maybe it's expecting ac'97 scenario) The non pro versions seem OK with my sound card though

These are merely my personal anecdotal experiences. Maybe I am suggesting that in their haste to supply a truck load of gimmicks (latest cutting edge progs if u prefer) the basics are being neglected and some of what has been achieved in earlier versions lost.

I'll await the final Mint version of 7.10 with interest

Regards
S

ps wouldn't linux from scratch requre a black belt in masochism :)
sentient_one
LXF regular

Postby flashdangerpants » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:58 pm

ubuntu 7.10 works perfectly well with windows partitions
flashdangerpants
LXF regular

Postby Diagmato » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:24 pm

To be honest I agree and disagree with regards to Ubuntu.

If you dont like the 3d effects, its a simple radio button to click in order to disable it and just have the normal no fuss desktop environment. These are in a tab in System->preferences->appearance.

I have to agree though, im yet to see wireless actually work. Ive tried two different wireless cards, even one which is supposed to have very good support compared to others (using Atheros). This, nor the laptop's built-in broadcom 4318 will connect to either WEP, or WPA, at all. On Ubuntu 6.10 however, it would connect to WEP, however VERY unreliably - every so often, the network name changed to "unknown", and nothing would come of the connection.

Again with Ubuntu 7.10 - I just cannot get the 3d desktop effects working - the graphics card drivers are installed and working fine. I just get a bog standard "Desktop effects could not be enabled" error.

I have never tried PCLinuxOS, and although it sounds remarkable, theres just something about Mandriva and its family I just dont like. It was a long time ago, but Mandriva 2005 LE was too unreliable - dependancy hell was too often, its packages were limited, and anything to do with openGL would simply restart the system. I really hope all that has been ironed out and then some.
My Blog

Micro$oft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the full house
Diagmato
LXF regular

Postby M0PHP » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Kubuntu 7.10 has been very unreliable for me and am currently in limbo over which distro to use on my main machine.

I just want something that works dammit!! :P
Image Image Image
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby Dark » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:14 pm

Yes, the distros seemed to focus on either 3-D effects (which make live-CDs run painfully slow for those of us who have lowly Intel cards) or more drivers which are needed, but there needs to be more Speed increase, not longer battery life but making the kernel, the desktop environment and the software all respond quicker, integrate things quicker and make it boot quicker!
Dark

Linux latest distros disappoint -or- Why is life pain

Postby jjmac » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:15 pm

Hullow

sentient_one wrote:
>>
Not everyone should need to be a linux guru.
>>

True ... but some experience with configuration issues can only be a good thing. And should, if anything, but add to a persons experience of their distro.

>>
ps wouldn't linux from scratch requre a black belt in masochism :)
>>

(evil_grin) Well, it will ecourage a certain apprieciation of how it is all put together :wink: :)

>>
Maybe I am suggesting that in their haste to supply a truck load of gimmicks (latest cutting edge progs if u prefer) the basics are being neglected.
>>

Good point, and yes, imo the way they deal with the original installer stage needs to advance. More help/explanation is needed but it is still better tha the MS offering on that point. Last i looked any way. But the distros shouldn't really be resting on that excuse. If at least to only eliminate it, from the set of possible initial problem source/reasons. But the distros are largely there for testing. And ... -=- Linux isn't windows -=- ... so it is advisable ( in that it doesn't really hurt that much ) to at least become familiar with some basic issues, such as editng the /etc/fstab file, along with your bootloaders config and the X and related graphical configs etc. Once that is looked into, a person can hardly but notice just how straight forwardly simple they are.

( Am i not a damn patronising bugger, or what :) )

jm
Last edited by jjmac on Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:18 pm

Well, if you don't want 3D effects enabled by default, then openSUSE10.3 is the one to go for. You need to jump through all sorts of hoops to get them working ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby lok1950 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:55 pm

Fedora has it's problems with Compiz as well but doesn't X7.3 do away with the first time black screen so editing Xorg.config may be a thing of the past :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box:Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb fedora 20 Win 7 acer S243HL X193W
amd XP1800 on a asusA7N8x/ 789Mb ram/ sda 120 Gb ntfs sdb 80 Gb ext3 (fedora 10) gForce 6800 gt 128 Mb
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby ScottAS » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:12 am

All

I haven't encountered a problem whilst using Ubuntu GNU/Linux 7.04 x86, however my opinion is that I'm not going to upgrade my Operating System for some time given the amount of problems which many people have encountered and continue to encounter using Ubuntu GNU/Linux 7.10.

I think that the most recent version of Ubuntu GNU/Linux is of an atrocious quality. I would recommend using the second most recent version of the Operating System, because the most recent version is certainly not fit for use regardless of the fact that it is stated as a stable build of the Operating System.

I am concerned in regards to the quality of the Operating System and the fact that those who simply wish their Computers just worked will regard the latest version of the Ubuntu GNU/Linux Operating System as the state of the Linux Operating System as a whole, and therefore detriment the adoption of the Operating System within the general public.

:?

Scott
ScottAS

Re: RE: Re: Linux latest distros disappoint

Postby spottedcat » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:24 am

ScottAS wrote:I haven't encountered a problem whilst using Ubuntu GNU/Linux 7.04 x86, however my opinion is that I'm not going to upgrade my Operating System for some time given the amount of problems which many people have encountered and continue to encounter using Ubuntu GNU/Linux 7.10.

Don't confuse intrinsic problems with an operating system with problems in those using the operating system. Where have you read about these problems? Ubuntuforums? I've found that the quality of posting there has deteriorated alarmingly in the last year or so. There's a very poor signal to noise ratio there imo. Although I concede that there will always be issues with any new release (even Apple is not immune - Leopard has some problems, apparently), I'm much more pleased with Gutsy than with Feisty, and that's on three different machines. It's running very well. The only issue I've encountered so far is with system sounds, which is hardly show-stopping.

ScottAS wrote:I think that the most recent version of Ubuntu GNU/Linux is of an atrocious quality.

And you haven't tried it yet? You're going to base an opinion on second-hand information? That's what it sounds like.

ScottAS wrote:I would recommend using the second most recent version of the Operating System, because the most recent version is certainly not fit for use

Please confine comments about Windows to the other-OS and OT sub-forums. :P :wink:
spottedcat
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: Linux latest distros disappoint

Postby ScottAS » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:04 pm

SpottedCat

I have used Ubuntu GNU/Linux 7.10 for a considerable period of time since its availability, therefore my statement wasn't based upon second-hand information whatsoever.

I think that the hardware device driver support has become worse, especially so since the release of Ubuntu GNU/Linux 6.06, meanwhile I don't like the fact that the accompanying conglomerate of software applications has become less within each release of the Operating System. I also disagree in regards to the claim, although not from yourself, that the Ubuntu GNU/Linux Operating System boasts the most able automatic hardware detection capability, because based upon my experience, it most certainly does not.

It is apparent to myself, however, that the Ubuntu GNU/Linux Operating System is very much incremental as opposed to providing new features. Whilst I do not disagree with the aforementioned method of progression, I am concerned, as I've previously stated, that the Operating System's current state may be viewed by some as the current state of the Linux Operating System as a whole and it is quite obvious that it is not the case.

:)

Scott
ScottAS

Next

Return to Discussion