Tuxracer

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Tuxracer

Postby Dutch_Master » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:50 am

Ever tried Tuxracer? They said it's highly addictive. And fun. And Linux!

Well, I installed Tuxracer last week and I can vouch for its addictiveness! As a new racer I s*ck. But I bet there are a lot of racers out there amongst you, so why not have a little friendly competition? Post your highscores here.

A few rules so your competence is put in perspective:

1) there are 2 categories: keyboard and joystick.
2) in each category there are 3 sub-categories: beginner, advanced and addict.
3) post a screenshot of your highscore, a link will do.
4) put in your post also in what category and sub-category you participate.
5) this competition has no end (unless closed by LXF staff) and you can enter as many times as you wish in any category.
6) there are no prizes to win, just 'eternal' WWW-glory ;)

The only thing that needs to be agreed too is what racetracks are to be used in the competition. So, whaddayathink?
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

RE: Tuxracer

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:25 am

Top stuff. Although you may want to include Planet Penguin Racer in the competition, as Tux Racer ceased development ages ago.

Actually, it seems that Planet Penguin Racer is also dead, and the latest fork is:

http://www.extremetuxracer.com

according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tux_Racer#History

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:52 pm

The reason I choose Tuxracer is that even Debian has packages for it in the repositories ;) I don't mind including PPP and/or ETR, but I don't know how the levels of difficulty compare. They have to be equal, otherwise we won't get a fair competition.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:05 pm

Why not add the version to TR,PPP or ETR to each entry after all there is even a MS version of TR as for the tracks PPP and ETR have new tracks so should we limit it to the ones that are common.What's your fav track mine is "Who says penguins can't fly" :D

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:10 pm

Well, it's called PPRacer on my system, but I'm still just as bad at it as I was when it was called Tuxracer. I nver bother doing anything other than practice sessions, as I don't expect I'd get far if I went in for the tournament.

And yes, "Who says penguins can't fly" is the most fun, I find myself leaning into the corners as I whizz along :D
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: RE: Tuxracer

Postby Rhakios » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:11 pm

M-Saunders wrote:Actually, it seems that Planet Penguin Racer is also dead, and the latest fork is:

http://www.extremetuxracer.com

So, will it be abbreviated to ETRacer then? I would have thought that might be a different game involving flying bikes, or some such. ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

RE: Re: RE: Tuxracer

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:04 am

For anyone new to Tux/PP/ETRacer, hold 'e' in play to charge up a jump (2 seconds or so), then release to give your penguin chum some air.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby LFU » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:25 pm

My best time for the map "Who says penguins can't fly" is 51.06, but actually I couldn't get the screenshot. Anyway I think it would be easy to beat the record again:)
LFU

Return to Off Topic