eth0 sending packets from an ex-ip address...??

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

eth0 sending packets from an ex-ip address...??

Postby jimsaku » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:29 pm

hello all

i have a router that has a direct connection to the net that acts as the DHCP server for my network. one of the machines on the network (myspleen) used to be in this position until eth1 died for no apparent reason. my problem is that even though the machine can send packets out no problem (it is serving webpages as we speak), whenever it tries to *send* packets, it is trying to send them from its old ip address. i've been using iptraf to monitor the activity, and when i try and ping out from the machine (to one called jareth), i get a message like this:

ICMP echo req (84 bytes) from 82.41.#.# to jareth (src....) on eth0

(not actual hashes, you just don't need to know my old ip address :)
but when i ping the machine myspleen from jareth, it appears thusly:

ICMP echo req (84 bytes) from jareth to myspleen (src....) on eth0
ICMP echo rply (84 bytes) from myspleen to jareth (src....) on eth0

so on the way in, it is correctly using /etc/hosts to identify itself and jareth, but on the way out, it seems determined to try and send packets from its former ip address.

any ideas anyone??

jim

ps. i've tried grepping everything in /etc/ and below for the 82.41. address, plus pretty much everything in every kind of (s)bin i can find. i've also had a look at route -n but i don't know what i'm looking for.
there's no such thing as 2

resist cimpulsory id
jimsaku

Postby jimsaku » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:31 pm

oops. i just realised that i didn't explain the actual problem.

because it is sending packets from its old ip address, none of them make it out. hence no interweb, no email,...

jim.
there's no such thing as 2

resist cimpulsory id
jimsaku

Return to Help!