Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adobe Reader is not working

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankmanzhu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Adobe Reader is not working Reply with quote

I like to use Adobe Reader to view pdf files. It worked fine for me under fedora core 3 for a while. But it is not working now. It simply quit without any warning. Does anyone know what's the problem?
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: RE: Adobe Reader is not working Reply with quote

If it worked fine in Fedora 3 what distro are you running under now?
I would recommend using Evince instead, has been very reliable for me so far. Has most of the features of Acrobat.
jimsaku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: RE: Adobe Reader is not working Reply with quote

try launching the reader from a terminal (the command is acroread i think) and tell us what the error message is when it dies. does it always quit, regardless of the pdf you're trying to read?

resist cimpulsory id
frankmanzhu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: RE: Adobe Reader is not working Reply with quote

I used to use fedora core 3 version - 2.6.9-1.667. After I update the new version 2.6.11-1.27, the reader just stop working. I tried in the console and type acroread, it just simply quit without getting any messages. So I switched back to core 2.6.9-1.667. It worked fine for a while. At first, I thought this might be a kernel problem. I installed a few software recently and the problem arised again. I double clicked the pdf icon, nothing happened. I type acroread in the command line, simply quit. I reinstalled the reader serveral times, either the tar.gz version or the rpm version. But the problem is still there. I wonder whether Acrobat Reader is not quite stable under fedora.
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Adobe Reader is not working Reply with quote

it sounnds like it may be a problem with an upgraded library (possibly glibc). I have not heard of this problem though.

Reading up though Acrobat has a problem with the UTF-8 charset, try this:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2003-September/msg01954.html
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: