Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any hardware experts here, please?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rossi46

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Any hardware experts here, please? Reply with quote

..because I've pulled the cpu off of my motherboard

It more or less came straight off without protest. I cleaned the dust from underneath it and it popped back into place no problem. There are what looks like 500 gold coloured pins underneath, but they all slot home without incident.

Problem is, when I press the power button on the from of my machine, nothing happens other than the briefest fraction-of-a-second of life then nothing. I realise that this is a safety measure designed to protect the components, but how can I fix this?

Cheers in advance for any help.

The spec is Fujitsu Seimens 3.4/1G Embarassed
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Any hardware experts here, please? Reply with quote

It's pretty safe to assume that either your mobo or your proc or both is/are history. You don't "just pull off" a CPU from it's socket, you'd to remove it carefully by unlocking the lock that kept it in place.
rossi46

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: RE: Any hardware experts here, please? Reply with quote

It was accidental. I pulled the heatsink off as per usual, but this time the cpu came with it.

Oh well - time to speak nicely to the better half. Cup of coffe and a laptop brochure, dear? Smile
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: RE: Any hardware experts here, please? Reply with quote

I know you didn't do it on purpose, but perhaps there is a way to determine which device is defunct. If you have a machine with the same socket you could try the proc in that. If it boots you'd need a new mobo.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Any hardware experts here, please? Reply with quote

rossi46 wrote:
It was accidental. I pulled the heatsink off as per usual, but this time the cpu came with it.

I've done that before and even bent some of the pins, it was a very fiddly job getting them bent back to exactly the right position.
The thing is, there is also a locking bar which usually you can't lift with the heatsink still on, and with the locking bar lifted, the processor should just drop in without any force at all being required.
Even if yours fitted back in, some of the pins could have bent or broken off in the socket.
ollie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Any hardware experts here, please? Reply with quote

If the CPU "slotted back without any problems" and the locking lever is still locked you have probably broken all of the pins off Crying or Very sad

If this is the case you probably need both a new motherboard and new CPU.
rossi46

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Any hardware experts here, please? Reply with quote

Yep - it's goosed!

I'm back to using my old Athlon 1600XP with the RAM and HD robbed from the broken machine.

Surprisingly, I can still run VMWare and Adobe Premiere (albeit without the realtime rendering) and be surfing on here and listening to tunes all at the same time.

Temp spec: Athlon XP1600 (1.4GHZ) 1GB RAM GeForce FX5200/128 Distro: PCLinuxOS TinyMe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: