Win XP GUI front-end to a remote Linux box over SSH?

Code junkies hangout here

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Win XP GUI front-end to a remote Linux box over SSH?

Postby kenpem » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:22 am

Not really "programming", but not "hardware" either, so I reckoned this was the lesser of two evils. Apologies if I'm in the wrong place!

I have a LinkSys NSLU2 "Slug", and lots of fun it is too. I won't go into a whole review of the thing here, suffice it to say that it's a small-footprint Linux server. Processing power is limited, but that's OK for my needs.

However, I also have a couple of high-end XP boxes on the network, and thought it would be cool if I could fire up a KDE or Gnome (or even one of the light WMs) session to the Slug from XP. I'm sure I've read that this sort of thing is fairly easy to do, but can't find any reference telling me how to get started.

I'm not expecting wonderful performance, but it seems to me that if my NVIDIA-equipped power-box can do the pretty picture-shifting, and leave the Slug to do the actual OS-level stuff, this could work quite well?

Or am I just barking up the wrong tree?
kenpem

RE: Win XP GUI front-end to a remote Linux box over SSH?

Postby Dutch_Master » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:35 am

Not really ;) What you need is VPN and X-forwarding. However, that is pretty advanced stuff for a novice (and experienced users alike!). If you want to try some remote computing, look at the Linux Terminal Server Project: http://www.ltsp.org/ Note that this doesn't work with XP. Or any Win-OS variant ;) But, you don't even have to wipe your boxes clean: use a bootfloppy to boot into Linux (via the LTSP stuff) and you don't even have to modify the MBR of a box ;)

Mind you, the server itself needs to have some grunt, as it's responsable for everything. That might be a little too much to ask from your Linksys Slug :(
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby kenpem » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:31 pm

oh pooh, I was hoping this was a simple, easy thing to do. Never mind! It was more curiosity than need. I get by just fine in a terminal session over SSH. Thanks anyway!
kenpem

Postby Rhakios » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:44 pm

You might be able to use Cygwin/X, if you just want to run X apps from a remote machine on your Windows box. In any event, I can do something similar running X on a Mac. But I'm not sure a slug would have enough horsepower to run an X application over ssh on a remote machine.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby cthoday » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:45 pm

I do not have any recent experience of using it but I think it might be worthwhile to look at VNC which is designed for exactly the purpose you have in mind. There are several VNC related packages for Ubuntu and a Google search for VNC should give you all you need to know.
cthoday

Postby JS » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:33 pm

I know it's not quite what you seem to be after, but if you want a more "GUI" approach than SSH to accessing files on the Linux box remotely, you might like to try WinSCP.

Or you could run Linux on one of your "high-end" PCs and mount the partition(s) of the "Slug" over the network; you can then pretend you're running a GUI on it :-D and have better performance to boot!
JS
LXF regular

Return to Programming