Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Win XP GUI front-end to a remote Linux box over SSH?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenpem

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Win XP GUI front-end to a remote Linux box over SSH? Reply with quote

Not really "programming", but not "hardware" either, so I reckoned this was the lesser of two evils. Apologies if I'm in the wrong place!

I have a LinkSys NSLU2 "Slug", and lots of fun it is too. I won't go into a whole review of the thing here, suffice it to say that it's a small-footprint Linux server. Processing power is limited, but that's OK for my needs.

However, I also have a couple of high-end XP boxes on the network, and thought it would be cool if I could fire up a KDE or Gnome (or even one of the light WMs) session to the Slug from XP. I'm sure I've read that this sort of thing is fairly easy to do, but can't find any reference telling me how to get started.

I'm not expecting wonderful performance, but it seems to me that if my NVIDIA-equipped power-box can do the pretty picture-shifting, and leave the Slug to do the actual OS-level stuff, this could work quite well?

Or am I just barking up the wrong tree?
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: RE: Win XP GUI front-end to a remote Linux box over SSH? Reply with quote

Not really Wink What you need is VPN and X-forwarding. However, that is pretty advanced stuff for a novice (and experienced users alike!). If you want to try some remote computing, look at the Linux Terminal Server Project: http://www.ltsp.org/ Note that this doesn't work with XP. Or any Win-OS variant Wink But, you don't even have to wipe your boxes clean: use a bootfloppy to boot into Linux (via the LTSP stuff) and you don't even have to modify the MBR of a box Wink

Mind you, the server itself needs to have some grunt, as it's responsable for everything. That might be a little too much to ask from your Linksys Slug Sad
kenpem

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Win XP GUI front-end to a remote Linux box over SSH? Reply with quote

oh pooh, I was hoping this was a simple, easy thing to do. Never mind! It was more curiosity than need. I get by just fine in a terminal session over SSH. Thanks anyway!
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Win XP GUI front-end to a remote Linux box over SSH? Reply with quote

You might be able to use Cygwin/X, if you just want to run X apps from a remote machine on your Windows box. In any event, I can do something similar running X on a Mac. But I'm not sure a slug would have enough horsepower to run an X application over ssh on a remote machine.
cthoday

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: RE: Win XP GUI front-end to a remote Linux box over SSH? Reply with quote

I do not have any recent experience of using it but I think it might be worthwhile to look at VNC which is designed for exactly the purpose you have in mind. There are several VNC related packages for Ubuntu and a Google search for VNC should give you all you need to know.
JS
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: RE: Win XP GUI front-end to a remote Linux box over SSH? Reply with quote

I know it's not quite what you seem to be after, but if you want a more "GUI" approach than SSH to accessing files on the Linux box remotely, you might like to try WinSCP.

Or you could run Linux on one of your "high-end" PCs and mount the partition(s) of the "Slug" over the network; you can then pretend you're running a GUI on it Very Happy and have better performance to boot!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: