Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accents, slang, dialect and the English language
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeordieJedi
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Accents, slang, dialect and the English language Reply with quote

After reading another post about rooters and their pronunciation. Its always amazed me, that for a small country, we have such a wide range of varied accents and dialects. (even just a few mile apart)

So I thought id type a few Geordie words and their meanings.

Aye = Yes
Whey AYE = Emphatic Yes
Na / Nur = No
Howay / Ha'way = C'mon / hurry up
"Bee-ah" = Beer
Haddaway = Get lost
"Cooncil pop" - council pop = Water
Bairn = Child
Canny = Quite / nice
Gan Canny = Be careful / Take it easy
"Shoart" = Shirt
Geet = Very - eg: Geet big
Wor = Our / my / mine
Wor lass = My girlfriend / wife / partner
Bandit = Gambling machine
"Whee" = Who
"Div-int" = Dont
Femor = Delicate

Oh yeah, I dont wanna upset anybody, but when someone says "oop north" I just wanna cringe. We dont say that at all.
(its from either Yorkshire or Lancashire (which I dont even consider the north anyway).The North Starts at Berwick and Finishes at Gateshead. Anywhere south of Middlesborough is Europe....He he he.

(If anybody noticed my profile, I do live in Darlington. However I hail from a town called Blyth (which is about 15 miles north Newcastle).

So Does anybody have any strange or unusual words or slang that they use to confuse others?
risc_user

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: RE: Accents, slang, dialect and the English language Reply with quote

In Somerset it's "Where's that to?" meaning where is that.
And the answer form is "It's to <place>".
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Accents, slang, dialect and the English language Reply with quote

Well, it doesn't have to be so big like the UK is. Even in Holland we have dialects that are only understandable for insiders who live there from birth. Like in the north we have Friesland, a mix of Keltic and Scandinavian, with some German and 'regular' Dutch for new words. Then there is Limburg (in the south), which is a mix of Flamish, German, some regular Dutch and a little French (heck, the provincial capital of Maastricht (you Brits all know that Razz) is almost closer to Paris then Amsterdam Wink) Even in cities dialects are spoken: in The Hague (where I live) the 'upstarts' speak a totally different Dutch to the workers of the street but as they rarely mix, it normally isn't an issue Wink

As for English dialects, we all know the difference between UK English and its US counterpart Mr. Green
catgate
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: RE: Accents, slang, dialect and the English language Reply with quote

it is the same in Yorkshire. People in Leeds speak a different language to the people in Bradford, who speak a different language from those in say Goole. And that is different again to the variety of dialects in each of the Dales.The explanation is quite simple. in Leeds it is a mixture of Yiddish and Carribean, Bradford is Urdu and Farsi, Goole is a mixture of Polish and Haddock and the Dales is a mixture of the dialects displaced by the above and baa!
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: RE: Accents, slang, dialect and the English language Reply with quote

In the Midlands, we all speak perfectly normally, it's other places that have funny accents and odd sayings. Wink
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Accents, slang, dialect and the English language Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
In the Midlands, we all speak perfectly normally, it's other places that have funny accents and odd sayings. Wink

Except for the Black country, but they don't consider themselves part of the Midlands anyway Smile

My northern Uncle always used to say that anyone from South of Warrington was a "Woollyback" - (sheep thief).

nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: RE: Accents, slang, dialect and the English language Reply with quote

That's what they say in America too Very Happy

Tara a bit Smile
1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wc wrote:
My northern Uncle always used to say that anyone from Warrington was a "Woollyback" - (sheep thief).

yeah they say that here Very Happy
bru = hill,
lobbies = corned beef and potato ash
lobbie-gobbler = someone from leigh(a nearby "town" that's actually part of wigan)
i must say some but i can't remember any???
paul

spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1slipperyfish (troll) wrote:
lobbies = corned beef and potato ash

Do Wiganites incinerate their potatoes before they eat them then? Confused
1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't blame me if the spell checker doesn't pick it up i don't question it Very Happy
paul

nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 1sf (troll) would rely on a spell checker in a thread about dialects...<sigh>
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Accents, slang, dialect and the English language Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
Rhakios wrote:

Except for the Black country, but they don't consider themselves part of the Midlands anyway

My Mum used to say that if you mixed your vowel sounds up at random, you would be bound to come up with one Black Country accent or another, for example:

"May Merm yussed tuh saa thit ef yuh mexed yowr voowel soonds erp it rindaim, yuh would bey boond tuh cerm erp weth wern Blick Cerntreh iccent owr inerther."
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Accents, slang, dialect and the English language Reply with quote

guy wrote:

My Mum used to say that if you mixed your vowel sounds up at random, you would be bound to come up with one Black Country accent or another, for example:

"May Merm yussed tuh saa thit ef yuh mexed yowr voowel soonds erp it rindaim, yuh would bey boond tuh cerm erp weth wern Blick Cerntreh iccent owr inerther."

Perhaps, if it's South African Black Country Confused
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Accents, slang, dialect and the English language Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
That's what they say in America too Very Happy

Tara a bit Smile

The idea that Americans might think Midlanders speak perfectly normal English is somewhat off-putting. Wink
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Accents, slang, dialect and the English language Reply with quote

It appears that Midlanders can't understand perfectly normal English either Wink
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: