Forum topics keep drifting off topic

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Forum topics keep drifting off topic

Postby Wilted-ice » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:50 pm

Has anyone noticed that posts on these forums start off on topic but usually end up drifting way off topic?
Frequently after a post from 1sf (troll) !
Wilted-ice

Postby MrsHarris » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Can you believe it's meant to be snowing tonight... I'm so excited!!

Oh... yeah they do don't they ;)
MrsHarris

Postby donoreo » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:03 pm

I had great turkey at Christmas.

Maybe the mods need to appoint some other mods to keep an eye on things? Mike really seems to handle it all by himself.
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:20 pm

Oh no he doesn't!

There, how on topic is that for the time of year?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Dutch_Master » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:27 pm

Just wait until 1sf (troll) discovers this thread... :evil:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:53 pm

So that's why Susana's dog had four puppies!

Yes, a few serious threads have gone off on 1sf-related tangents, but mostly the banter is reserved for Off Topic so I'm not concerned just yet :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby pootman » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:55 pm

In fairness, they only seem to drift off after the useful part (when there actually is one) is done.

Think of the threads as business meetings.
We all sit around the table listening to two or three people being (incredibly) productive, whilst the rest of us struggle to maintain consciousness and/or sanity.
Then when the meeting's finally over we all get up and start chattering about whatever we where thinking about while we waited for the meeting to finish.
This incomprehensible hubbub leads line-managers and hod's to believe that, while only a few attendees seemed to be engaged in the discussion, everyone found the meeting useful, informative and inspiring.
Just look at the current thread discussing Fedora. Currently three pages of intelligent informed discussion about Fedora to impress the overlords at Future.

Anyway, it's forecast snow up here tonight, I think this is the fifth or sixth time so far this winter they've forecast snow and it's rained every time.
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
pootman
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:07 pm

Perhaps you ought to ask if anyone hasn't noticed the tendency of threads to drift off-topic. It's in the nature of humans to be discursive, in my experience. Taking a militant attitude towards this sort of thing (such as deleting all off-topic posts from a thread) would be likely to be counter-productive.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:50 pm

Rhakios wrote:Perhaps you ought to ask if anyone hasn't noticed the tendency of threads to drift off-topic. It's in the nature of humans to be discursive, in my experience. Taking a militant attitude towards this sort of thing (such as deleting all 1sf (troll) posts from a thread) would be likely to be very productive.

I agree :-)
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:57 pm

LOL :mrgreen:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:17 pm

You know, Mike keeps dangling that temptation in front of me, but only because he knows I won't do it. :|
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Marrea » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:58 pm

I don't think we can always blame 1sf (troll). I have a terrible habit of drifting off topic - see my recent query in Help about RealPlayer and Fedora, which is now a Linux Mint eulogy. But that's women for you. :wink:
Marrea
LXF regular

Return to This Website