Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arrgh...Now ive gone and done it??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeordieJedi
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Arrgh...Now ive gone and done it?? Reply with quote

Hi all. Sorry to bother you, but I was having a bit of trouble and I thought id ask for some advice

(Btw im running XP in the laptop)
I was surfing the net on the laptop. when I got an alert that a trojan was trying to establish a connection.
(So im thinking its already on the laptop??) Kaspersky has supposedly identified the threat and nutralised it.

However im now really paranoid and i have been googaling the various processes from task manager
(but the different websites seem to contradict one-another)

Here is a list of the the more suspicious items in task manager.

csrss.exe
Isass.exe ?
PDSched.exe
smss.exe
WZQPICK.EXE
wuaclt.exe

-> MsPMSPSv.exe is an interesting one, as I googled it, got an entry that looked almost exactly the same, and got diverted to the Sophos website. I followed the instructions very carefully and (made a back up of the registry first) the looked round for the supposed file. I never found the offending file but now im really starting to worry.

Ive ran trojan remover. Done a full system scan and it says its now clean.

So, any Ideas? any help would be VERY much appreciated. Thanks in advance Embarassed
flashdangerpants
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: RE: Arrgh...Now ive gone and done it?? Reply with quote

Isass.exe is a virus called optix pro, but Lsass.exe is good. so try be sure which you have there. if you have the virus then i assume you will have both processes running.

the others all look like perfectly sensible processes to me?

if you are still worried you should run hijackthis http://www.whatthetech.com/hijackthis/ and get an expert to look at the logs. i don't know where the experts are to be found though. personally i just assume my windows install is infected with crud like trojans and spyware and never use it for anything important. so i don't worry much about exactly which fleas it has.
pootman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Arrgh...Now ive gone and done it?? Reply with quote

flashdangerpants wrote:

How can you be sure without knowing what software he had running at the time?
flashdangerpants wrote:
personally i just assume my windows install is infected with crud like trojans and spyware and never use it for anything important. so i don't worry much about exactly which fleas it has.

Oh, I see now, you're a programmer at Microsoft.
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Arrgh...Now ive gone and done it?? Reply with quote

Sorry, but shouldn't you be asking this on a Windows site?
They are more likely to be practiced at dealing with viruses. (after all we Linux ppl don't know what they are)

Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Arrgh...Now ive gone and done it?? Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
Sorry, but shouldn't you be asking this on a Windows site?

I was thinking the self same thing myself. Wink
flashdangerpants
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Arrgh...Now ive gone and done it?? Reply with quote

pootman wrote:
flashdangerpants wrote:

How can you be sure without knowing what software he had running at the time?

well one of them is roxio perfectdisk, another is windows update client, then there's winzip, and a couple of processes that are part of windows itself and shouldn't be disabled. i would say that none of those sound very suspicious.
GeordieJedi
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Arrgh...Now ive gone and done it?? Reply with quote

Thank you all very much, esp flashdangerpants. Any help is much appreciated.

Thats put my mind at rest a little bit...
The reason im eager to get this sorted is that its not my computer, its my brothers and I dont want to let him down by getting the thing infected with some virus/trojan crap.

Marrea + Wyliecoyote. Your probably right, although I had allready posted to a couple of forums and had recieved no response, So I thought i'd try here on the "Other OS" board, and hey..waddaya know. Even hardend linux fans help me out. Just goes to show.

Thanks.
flashdangerpants
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Arrgh...Now ive gone and done it?? Reply with quote

i know the feeling. i reinstalled windows for my mum, went to download firefox for it and managed to infect the bloody thing with big lumps of spyware just by mistyping the url. went from clean to infested in less than 2 minutes Sad
ollie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Arrgh...Now ive gone and done it?? Reply with quote

flashdangerpants wrote:
went from clean to infested in less than 2 minutes Sad

My record is 53 seconds - new install infected doing Windows Update! Mad I´m much more careful about when I plug the network cable into a PC when I´m installing Windows for clients Mad Now it is after I have installed and updated the AntiVirus/Internet Security software.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: