Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

myfavouritemagazines.co.uk down
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stayloose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: myfavouritemagazines.co.uk down Reply with quote

I would like to subscribe to the magazine, but it seems that myfavouritemagazines has been offline for at least a couple of days. This poses two problems. The obvious one is that I can't subscribe right now, the second is that as a rule of thumb, I don't give card details to a company that can't even pay its hosting bills / configure a server.

I guess you guys hadn't realised that the site wasn't working? I wonder if this is common for the site, and if it indicates a bigger problem. Of course it could be something crazy to do with the terrible connection I have here whilst staying at my parents' house, but I doubt it.
lok1950
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: RE: myfavouritemagazines.co.uk down Reply with quote

There has been a problem mentioned recently about Linux/Firefox issues with the whole site ie7 and windows apparently works Crying or Very sad Mike was looking into it someone was able to access today according to this thread
http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=7519

Enjoy the Choice Smile
stayloose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, you couldn't make it up!

It doesn't work in Opera either in Linux. I guess I'll have to wait a couple of days to get back to a box with XP in VirtualBox. I think this is the first site I have ever been totally unable to use in Linux.

It does still have me a little worried about their competence over there,

//Edit

It's not compatibility issues:

~$ ping -c 4 myfavouritemagazines.co.uk
PING myfavouritemagazines.co.uk (193.132.139.55) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- myfavouritemagazines.co.uk ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2999ms
Hudzilla
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!

The site works fine; the problem seems to lie with Linux. We've done numerous tests over here, and some Linux boxes just don't seem to handle the MFM connection properly - even when XP/Vista/OS X machines work fine from exactly the same network. Even stranger is that some Linuxes work fine, and others don't!

We reckon someone, somewhere between us and MFM has changed some hardware that does something funky with TCP window scaling, and Linux (particularly newer kernels) just flat out rejects it. The MFM site isn't actually run by Linux Format or Future Publishing, which is why it's taking so long to get it fixed!

We're on the case trying to narrow down the problem and get it sorted. In the meantime, see if this solves the problem:

1) Open a terminal window
2) Switch to root
3) Execute: echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling

Take care,

Paul
stayloose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does solve the problem! Thanks for your help. I can't say I know the first thing about TCP window scaling, but I shall now have a good look at some relevant literature.

Subscribing as I type Smile
ollie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That solves the problem on my Eee PC (Xandros Advanced Desktop Mode). I'll try later on my Ubuntu system.

Is it the way IIS is responding to the page request through .NET? Microsoft deliberately breaking the Internet again!
Hudzilla
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ollie: IIS does have some strange things in it, but this doesn't appear to be a Microsoft problem. Strangely enough, Vista is the first Microsoft OS to support TCP window scaling (AFAIK), and yet MFM works fine on there!
paulm
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ollie wrote:
That solves the problem on my Eee PC (Xandros Advanced Desktop Mode). I'll try later on my Ubuntu system.

Is it the way IIS is responding to the page request through .NET? Microsoft deliberately breaking the Internet again!

Very Happy I'm sure its all a dirty MS conspiracy. Well, no, its been around for a while. I have had problems at one site (due to an OpenBSD based firewall/router box) for months. The only way I could ever get to the internet from Linux at that site was to have this in /etc/sysctl.conf:

Code:
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling=0

Took ages to track down. Especially since the I have XP, OS/2 and FreeBSD on the same laptop, and it was only Linux that was having access problems...

Since that site has changed to an SME Server based firewall/router box, the problem has vanished - I experimented by moving sysctl.conf to another name and found no problems accessing the net....

paul
darkmane

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Worked for me Reply with quote

www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk worked for me using Firefox 2.0.0.12 on Ubuntu Gutsy a couple of days ago.

Just need to wait patiently by the letter box for a couple of months, for the postie to come a visiting Laughing
Hudzilla
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: RE: Worked for me Reply with quote

Hey!

If they gave you a subscriber number already, it might work for the online subs area right now. No harm trying!

Paul
towy71

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: RE: Worked for me Reply with quote

http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/ still won't work for me, any chance of giving them a nudge?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: RE: Worked for me Reply with quote

Did you try the TCP scaling thing? That fixed it for me.
darkmane

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Worked for me Reply with quote

Hudzilla wrote:
Hey!

If they gave you a subscriber number already, it might work for the online subs area right now. No harm trying!

Paul

Yeah, that worked nicely. Cheers! Very Happy
towy71

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
gerdesj

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done some research on this. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP_window_scale_option (and the links at the bottom of the article.

Now, on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934430 there is this:

"By default, the Receive Window Auto-Tuning feature in Windows Vista uses a Window Scaling factor of 8 for non-HTTP connections. This issue does not occur when you try to make an HTTP connection."

I would imagine that Linux uses it for all traffic and that's the problem. Somewhere along the line is a screwed up router/firewall which mucks up the TCP Receive Window negotiation. Vista et al work OK because they don't use it. Linux fails.

So it would appear that My Mags have picked an ISP that can't manage an internet connection properly. They are excluding quite a lot of readers and are making inefficient use of their bandwidth. Personally speaking, if I were them I'd be asking questions and not putting up with "it works on Vista" style answers. Using just a Windows machine as a diag tool is masking the fault. They (MFM) are still being fleeced and Linux users are wasting time and ham stringing their boxes.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1323.txt?number=1323 was written for a purpose and implemented by many IP stacks for a purpose.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: