"Linux Inside" stickers

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

"Linux Inside" stickers

Postby Oyster » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:21 am

Just wanted to add my support for Matthew Daly's suggestion in LXF105 ("Brown and Sticky?") for Linux stickers bundled with the subscription.

In fact, I'd happily forgo the DVD as I have rarely used it in favour of downloading the packages/source over the Net. I'm based in Australia and the discs suffer in transit and can be unreadable at destination (I know the lads have been alerted to this already).

Would love some stickers though to show where I've made my mark. Up to now I've been rubbing my scent on machines from a spare gland.
Last edited by Oyster on Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster

RE: Linux Inside" stickers

Postby MattyD » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:13 am

It's great to hear that other people agree with my suggestion! I figured this was a cheap giveaway that would nonetheless be very welcome by a lot of people. After all, I've had Kubuntu on my laptop for nearly a year and I still had a "Designed for Windows XP" sticker on it still, and I'd much rather have a really cool "Powered by Kubuntu" sticker, or just a "Powered by Linux" one with a little picture of Tux on it.
I'm not keen on those "Vista incapable" ones, as they make your computer seem second-rate.
MattyD

RE: Linux Inside" stickers

Postby Dutch_Master » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:31 am

How about "Tux inside!" and "Reclaimed personal property" and "Bill, you lost another one :twisted: "

My Image
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Stickers

Postby MAVERICK99 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:30 am

You have my support. Would love to see some shiny Kubuntu/PCLinuxOS stickers in the mag.
MAVERICK99

RE: Stickers

Postby MartyBartfast » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:49 am

Me too, I nolonger buy the mag every month but this would be a good marketing gimmick & I'd definitely buy it that month. (am I shallow or what?)
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:54 am

No, just tight :P
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby jjmac » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:40 am

Oyster wrote:
>>
I'm based in Australia and the discs suffer in transit and can be unreadable at destination (I know the lads have been alerted to this already).
>>

The disc placed between a couple of sheets of copy paper, on a flat surface, with the light application of a steam iron following ... then some weight applied while it cools ... has been known to fix slight convex damage :roll:

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:10 am

I must have some better posties out here Bathurst, I've never had a damaged or bent DVD in over 50 issues (touch wood :lucky_charm: ).
ollie

Postby jjmac » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:16 pm

The air mail issues are very different.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Re: RE: Stickers

Postby ollie » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:15 am

jjmac wrote:The air mail issues are very different.
jm

It just makes economic sense, the magazines were $29.95 each in the newsagents so it became $29.95 x 13 = $389.35 vs $241.45 subscription at GBP90 delivered. Even now out here the magazines are still $24.95 so it is still cheaper to subscribe. :)

Back on topic :wink: the stickers "Powered by Linux" would be great. I also noticed that the "inside" on the Intel stickers has a little "TM" so you probably can't use that phrase :(
ollie

Re: RE: Stickers

Postby GregS » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:32 am

ollie wrote:
jjmac wrote:The air mail issues are very different.
jm

It just makes economic sense, the magazines were $29.95 each in the newsagents so it became $29.95 x 13 = $389.35 vs $241.45 subscription at GBP90 delivered. Even now out here the magazines are still $24.95 so it is still cheaper to subscribe. :)

Back on topic :wink: the stickers "Powered by Linux" would be great. I also noticed that the "inside" on the Intel stickers has a little "TM" so you probably can't use that phrase :(

Yep, I've been lucky (apart from an overexuberant application of adhesive on one or two occasions...

BUT - I'd love a sticker (bugger it, a sheet of stickers) included with the DVD.

If it was the distro flavour(s) of the month or just a standard 'Tux Inside' or deriviation thereof, I don't care.

Before reading this thread, I'd been debating with myself about creating a set anyway, but the label stock available just wouldn't cut it. :?
GregS

RE: Re: RE: Stickers

Postby Oyster » Sun May 04, 2008 1:36 pm

Ubuntu stickers available here

http://www.sitt.com.sg/ubuntustickers2.htm
Oyster

Postby ollie » Mon May 05, 2008 1:45 am

Of course you could always support Ubuntu directly and purchase stickers from the Ubuntu Shop - particularly those already in the UK!
ollie

Postby pwbrum61 » Mon May 12, 2008 9:00 am

+1 vote for the "Powered by Linux" sticker! :)
Where's the Kaboom? There's supposed to be an Earth-shattering kaboom! :D

pwbrum61
LXF regular

Postby XPomJohn » Fri May 16, 2008 4:56 am

+2 votes for the "Powered by Linux" sticker
XPomJohn

Next

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs