Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Linux Distribution is used by the LXF Team?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marco.auer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: What Linux Distribution is used by the LXF Team? Reply with quote

Hello LXF Team!

Thanks a lot for your great magazine. I really love it and it helped me already many times in solving problems with my linux system.

I am just wondering what Linux Distribution you are using. Sometimes I see screenshots in the magazine from SUSE or Fedora, but what you are using for your daily work?

Thanks,
Marco
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: RE: What Linux Distribution is used by the LXF Team? Reply with quote

Lo Marco,

Glad you like the mag. As for distros: there are quite a few being used amongst LXF staff and freelancers. I've been running Slackware for a few years, now Ubuntu.

Mike
andychannelle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: RE: What Linux Distribution is used by the LXF Team? Reply with quote

I have SUSE 9.3 Pro on my x86 desktop, Kubuntu on my PPC desktop and Xandros 3.0 Business Edition on my laptop. My screenshots are usually taken in SUSE with loads of extra eye candy added because I'm superficial...
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: RE: What Linux Distribution is used by the LXF Team? Reply with quote

I use Gentoo on my Athlon64 desktop, my PPC laptop and my x86 server, but I also have at least half a dozen other distros installed in VMWare at any one time. Currently, my VMware directory contains:

Arch Linux
Ark Linux
Debian
FedoraCore 3 and 4
Gentoo
Mandriva X 2
MEPIS
Slackware
Ubuntu

Although I don't use them all at once Smile
jer1ch0
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: RE: What Linux Distribution is used by the LXF Team? Reply with quote

And what about forum members? I tri-boot SuSe 9.3, Ubuntu hoary and Win XP on the desktop. Ubuntu hoary on the laptop. Ubuntu is my fav distro.
bigbee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: RE: What Linux Distribution is used by the LXF Team? Reply with quote

SuSE 9.3 on 2 desktop machines and one laptop
Debian Sarge on server
p1 cluster: Debian woody, slackware, gentoo
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: RE: What Linux Distribution is used by the LXF Team? Reply with quote

jer1ch0 wrote:
And what about forum members?

SuSE.
8.2 on both server and workstation at work, 9.2 on both server and laptop at home.

Embeddix on my Sharp Zaurus

Knoppix when I need to rescue a dead Windows system.

Also Fedora Core 2 on the machine I'm using to teach my daughter Linux (using Maddog's excellent Dummies book) and a broken Fedora Core 3 system on a spare partition of a Win2k machine at work (might replace with Debian when I get a bit of time).
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: RE: What Linux Distribution is used by the LXF Team? Reply with quote

Well, SuSE9.3 Pro on my 64-bit box, my oldish laptop and on my second computer; Mandriva2005 LE on my box of death; Puppy 1.0.4 on a box I threw together out of spare parts and Smoothwall on my firewall box.
I also have Xandros under qemu (a virtual box), but hardly get round to looking at it.
towy71

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: RE: What Linux Distribution is used by the LXF Team? Reply with quote

Smoothwall on, mmm smoothwall Wink (the name of the computer between my modem and switch)
Debian testing on main box, in theory it triple boots with Win98SE and MadrivaLE, both seldom used.
Mepis upgraded to debian testing on Dell latitude CPx dual with Microparp Wink
My test machine currently has FedoraCore 4 but there are also PCLinux, Ubuntu on other hdds and there are a couple of other beta distros that I haven't managed to figure out yet.
oh and a Zaurus with Embedix

Dick
ps soon getting old iMac to play with too, there is also a 286 that works which I will put minix on sometime soon Wink

Last edited by towy71 on Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: What Linux Distribution is used by the LXF Team? Reply with quote

towy71 wrote:
Smoothwall on, mmm smoothwall Wink

Eh?
marco.auer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: What Linux Distribution is used by the LXF Team? Reply with quote

I am using Ubuntu Hoary. It is very stable and I love Synaptic, because it is very easy to keep the system up to date with this great tool.

I also tried several other distros like Gentoo, SuSE and Slackware, but I always went back to Debian/Ubuntu.
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: What Linux Distribution is used by the LXF Team? Reply with quote

I wavered once, twice and more, even did a Linux from scratch...but I also came back to my dear ole Mandrake (Mandriva)....don't ask me why.....I have tried many and they have always lasted about a couple of days at most....I do try but....but ....

hehe ;D

Server operating system designed for schools:www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: What Linux Distribution is used by the LXF Team? Reply with quote

ps, if you like smoothwall try IPCop, based on smoothwall but more advanced....

Server operating system designed for schools:www.linuxschools.com
Flea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: What Linux Distribution is used by the LXF Team? Reply with quote

Debian
AJB2K3
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: What Linux Distribution is used by the LXF Team? Reply with quote

Mandriva LE 2005 from LXF67.
also about to try Vector on a laptop. Wink Wink
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: