Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbranch

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Back Issues Reply with quote

I am becoming a little frustrated using the site today. I find navigation on this site poor.
I am looking for a list of back issues with pictures of the front cover + contents. This doesn't seem to exist. I needed it because I have not received at least one issue in my subscription and I needed to check how many issues were not delivered.
I also wanted to buy the 'Code it!' magazine as I do not have a W H Smiths here in my part of Ireland. It says 'order it now' but there is no link? and it does not seem to be for sale on the W H Smith website.
I think it might be time for a new website - this current one does not do a good job of selling the magazine.
thanks,
jonny
ethernet
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm nearly positive there's a comprehensive index of each issue on the DVD.

The LXF Specials only seem to be available in the UK. The odd one appears on eBay though. I empathise -- I would have loked to get a few of the specials too but we're in the same boat Crying or Very sad
brian

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look to the left hand side of the page. Main Menu -> Things to see -> Mag Archives or http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/archives/

Can't help with the specials
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jonny,

Sorry to hear you couldn't find it. Do you have any recommendations that would make it easier? The Archives are linked to in three places on every page (top bar, left-hand menu and mag pic on the right), plus there's a Back issues link on the left, which contains a further link to the Archives. But if you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Mike
redbranch

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I've just worked it out. I had previously been clicking the archives link and getting frustrated as I was only seeing one edition (the latest). I've just realised that there is a link at the top of that page i.e. '<< LXF 104'
Maybe if this was a little more prominent or a drop box title 'Issue Number' alongside the author, article type and search boxes.
The archive section of the site is potentially the core of the site ('killer app'?) so it should be really easy to use.
I also think the whole site could do with prettifying (is that a word?) to make it as usable as possible and hopefully attract potential converts. At the moment it looks a bit cluttered, texty, geeky?
A shop section might also be worth pursuing with branded merchandise, special magazines and subscriptions. I would definitely be buying the specials if I could.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point on the issue navigation bit -- I'll make it a more prominent box and add a drop-down list!

Cheers,
Mike
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righto, I've updated the Mag Archives section with the above change (drop-down list to select an issue).

M
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works for me. But as I have a fairly large number of LXF issues on the shelf, I don't think I need it though Wink
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered making the LXF Specials more widely available? We seem to be getting quite a few posts from people who would like to buy them but have no way of obtaining them. I assume you have some sort of deal with WH Smith but think of all the potential sales you are missing, to say nothing of the frustration you are causing would-be purchasers.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, the specials could be advertised on the front page, with a link to a place for on-line purchase.

In fact, I am somewhat surprised at how rarely the specials receive any noticeable promotion.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: