installing ubuntu in windows.. and computer warrenties

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

installing ubuntu in windows.. and computer warrenties

Postby godofthedevil » Thu May 29, 2008 11:55 pm

ive just tried the install ubuntu in windows feature in the new version of ubuntu, ive not really beed a fan of the distro as the sudo gets on my nerves and other lil niggles. but i find that this thing they do with installing within windows a very good idea.. 2nd best to a live cd really. one thing i wonder though is some shops are funny about customers stripping windoze off their pc in favour of linux to the point its night-night warrenty.. will this methold of installing ubuntu keep the warrenty in tact as it is in windows and not moving partitions?

one suddestion also would be is not to limit the hard drive space to 30gigs.. as i have a big enough hard drive to cope with 100+ gb
www.stewfisher.co.uk

LinuxMint, The loveable Grandchild of Debian/GNU Linux
godofthedevil
LXF regular

RE: installing ubuntu in windows.. and computer warrenties

Postby Dutch_Master » Fri May 30, 2008 12:28 am

Dunno 'bout warrenties in the UK, but hardware failures generally go there, regardless of OS. Suppose you get your car to a dealer and they refuse to fix some warrenty stuff on a window, just because you filled your tank at a BP station and not on Shell fuel... :roll:

Anyway, I'd recommend to contact some legal office, preferably one of the type where government offers free legal advice for regular folks or a consumer rights organisation. We have such here, but in the UK? If you can, get their answer on (official) paper so you can (virtually) slam the idiots who refuses to obey their warrenty obligations.... And, ask in advance before you purchase a computer somewhere. If they refuse, walk out. Tell them you walk out because of their incompetence, they should know and respect the law on consumer rights!
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:02 am

I think you'll find that the warranty only covers hardware and applies whatever software is on the computer, any other way would mean that everyone supplied with Windows would be able to claim that what they've been sold is not "fit for purpose" ;-) :lol:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby nelz » Fri May 30, 2008 8:56 am

Search The Register for PC World and Linux, there were a couple of interesting stories recently about them refusing to honour warranties when another OS was involved, including a broken laptop hinge after Linux was installed :shock:
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Re: installing ubuntu in windows.. and computer warrenti

Postby ollie » Fri May 30, 2008 11:34 am

nelz wrote:Search The Register for PC World and Linux, there were a couple of interesting stories recently about them refusing to honour warranties when another OS was involved, including a broken laptop hinge after Linux was installed :shock:

I like the similar problems a PC World customer had a few weeks later with a laptop backpack. The strap broke and he was initially refused a warranty replacement because he used a 17" Mac Book in a 17" Laptop backpack.

You guys certainly seem to have some shonky "sales reps" trying to get out of their responsibilities to customers. :roll: :P
ollie

Postby godofthedevil » Fri May 30, 2008 10:32 pm

could make a good article in the mag..

2 shops i asked.. and even emailed said it would void the warrenty if i took off microsoft windows on new machines.. this is why i try not to go for an "off the peg" computer rather then a taylor made one.. that way i can have it my way "a computer BK style lol" the two shops are staples and currys

but i cant see how installing ubuntu via windoze should void the warrenty cos it kinda installs like a normal program.. the only thing i have problems with is that kubuntu is buggy as hell on it though that could be my poor settings..
www.stewfisher.co.uk

LinuxMint, The loveable Grandchild of Debian/GNU Linux
godofthedevil
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Sat May 31, 2008 7:30 am

Warranties are usually a way of reducing the retailer's responsibility. If the manufacturer offers a warranty, the retailer can off-load their normal responsibility for the whole product. As it is assumed that you will be adding software to Windoze, I think neither the manufacturer nor the retailer would get very far in a court hearing; they are probably relying on the fact that most people would not take them to court or know how to handle the case to get the result they want.

John
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby paulm » Sat May 31, 2008 7:58 pm

johnhudson wrote:Warranties are usually a way of reducing the retailer's responsibility. If the manufacturer offers a warranty, the retailer can off-load their normal responsibility for the whole product.

Unless I misunderstand what you are trying to say, you couldn't be more wrong. If I sell you a laptop (or some other product) and something goes awry with it, it remains MY responsibility as the seller to put it right. While I may have recourse to a warranty provided by the manufacturer, it is still my responsibility to ensure that the customer gets a repaired/replaced product, and any attempt on my part to say 'you'll have to take it to X, they produced it' is strictly against the sale of goods act. Not that people like PC World don't try to wriggle out of their responsibility in exactly that way. Its amazing how fast they change their tune if you invite them to explain the procedure to Trading Standards :)

As it is assumed that you will be adding software to Windoze, I think neither the manufacturer nor the retailer would get very far in a court hearing; they are probably relying on the fact that most people would not take them to court or know how to handle the case to get the result they want.

To the best of my knowledge, no warranty would cover software anyway. My terms and conditions are quite explicit in that regard, and follow the original Opus warranty - if you break the software, you own both halves....

paul.
paulm
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Sat May 31, 2008 11:46 pm

Yes, but the question was: what if you remove the software altogether? If something breaks (like the cuphol... errrmm DVD tray... ;)) or some key in a notebook, it has nothing to do with any kind or type of software. But some retailers will use anything to get away from their responsabilities...
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Return to Discussion