Another Microsoft own-goal

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Another Microsoft own-goal

Postby RedWillow » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:13 pm

Do you (or do you know anyone who) use(s) Windows XP?
Do you have ZoneAlarm installed?
Do you want to access the internet?

If you answer yes to all three, don't install security update KB951748. If you want all the gory details just google 'KB951748 zonealarm'. There are plenty of hits to choose from. :twisted:

Microsoft, I raise a glass to you. You have just driven some of your users into the arms of Apple and, hopefully, many more into the arms of Linux.

Posting from XP in which I have just uninstalled KB951748 - just to prove a point. Now I must have a shower and reboot into Linux.
RedWillow
LXF regular

RE: Another Microsoft own-goal

Postby aj_nc » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:20 pm

I've seen the same issue with McAfee today as well.
Had to uninstall KB951748 for now.

Update:
DISREGARD McAfee comment above -- The PC in question is running McAfee for anti-virus/anti-spam, but ZoneAlarm for firewall.
aj_nc

Postby corners » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:34 pm

MS fixes a bug in Windows, a 3rd party application borks and somehow this is Microsoft's fault.

I guess one of the perks of being a Windows developer is you can always blame Microsoft for your bugs.
corners

Postby lok1950 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:20 pm

There was a major security fault in the basic design of DNS that that patch set included i gather there was a summit at M$ the included Cisco,Sun Apple and several other major players in March on how to proceed with the bug fix and this tuesday's patch day was it do you remember the DNS packages that where updated on the weekend they where the Linux versions :D as i gather that the bug allowed redirection so i imagine some of the third party people are just now getting the details so they can patch there apps.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby jonlewi5 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:43 am

working in tech support, this was a MAJOR pain.
When asked what i suggested to stop this happening again, linux ALWAYS got a mention lol
jonlewi5

Postby RedWillow » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:54 pm

corners wrote:MS fixes a bug in Windows, a 3rd party application borks and somehow this is Microsoft's fault.

I guess one of the perks of being a Windows developer is you can always blame Microsoft for your bugs.

A first post - someone registering on a Linux forum especially to defend Microsoft? Bless.

Personally, I couldn’t care a tuppeny cuss whether the blame lies with M$ or Zonealarm. It’s simply more fun having a go at the Beast of Redmond – especially on a Linux forum. :wink: Kudos, though, to Zonealarm for reacting so quickly. And to be fair, kudos to M$ for dealing with the DNS vulnerability. However, from a BBC news item:

"But," he added "it would seem reasonable for [Microsoft] to test their patch against what is probably the most popular software firewall."

A valid point, I would think.
RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:09 pm

I used to have ZoneAlarm but for ages now have relied on the Windows XP Firewall instead. Therefore I haven't had any problems since installing KB951748. Interestingly, if I turn the XP Firewall off I still get a ShieldsUp "Passed" for Common Ports (ie all stealthed), so obviously my router's firewall is protecting me.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:35 pm

That's the thing about ShieldsUp, for most people it is merely a way of testing their router's firewall. Try opening a couple (or perhaps all) ports on your router and see what happens then. :)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby corners » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:50 pm

It’s simply more fun having a go at the Beast of Redmond

OS wars having been going on since the dawn of computing and it's dull. Spreading ignorance isn't going to help.

And I would have thought ZoneAlarm would have taken better care of their paying customers especially when the change was announced well in advance.
corners

Postby Marrea » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:09 pm

corners wrote:OS wars having been going on since the dawn of computing and it's dull.

Couldn't agree more. <yawn>
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:10 pm

Rhakios wrote:Try opening a couple (or perhaps all) ports on your router and see what happens then. :)

Now why on earth would I want to do that? :D
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:27 pm

To test your computer's firewall, of course.

And by test, I mean waste some time. :)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Marrea » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:58 pm

Well, maybe if I knew how to open individual ports I could waste some time on this. :?

I have a Linksys BEFSR41 and from a quick look at the user guide the only relevant bits I can find are in the "Block WAN Requests" section:

[i]Block Anonymous Internet Requests. This keeps your network from being “pingedâ€
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:05 pm

You have to unblock WAN requests, then forward the ports you want open to your computer. Without setting up port forwarding, the ports are still effectively closed.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Marrea » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:53 pm

Thanks for that clarification, nelz.

As you have probably realised, I'm not very experienced in altering router settings. I don't have a network and my router is used purely for sharing an internet connection. So basically when I get a new router (this is only my second) I just plug it in, change the password and go with the default settings.

The only other thing I may possibly have done with this particular router is enable the 113 filter. I can't now remember whether the default was enabled or disabled.
Marrea
LXF regular

Next

Return to Other OS