Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cookies connected with Linuxformat.co.uk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadly_Ernest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Cookies connected wi Reply with quote

towy71 wrote:
move along now, nothing to see here Razz Razz

G'day,

I see you still need a hand getting those longs moved.

But I get the point, I've said what I've got to say, now I know what's happening. I still get the ads, so I do wonder what all that extra garbage was all about. But, I wouldn't be surprised if I get in trouble from the powers that be for blocking the other cookies.

Ernest
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: Cookies connected wi Reply with quote

Why do you assume it's for ads? It looks more like site traffic analysis, probably across all Future sites.
Deadly_Ernest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Cookies connected wi Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
Why do you assume it's for ads? It looks more like site traffic analysis, probably across all Future sites.

because the vast majority of third party cookies are for ads. if it's for site analysis what are the nine from lxf itself for? And why so many?

Heck, my incoming IP address will give you most of the basic info for site analysis purposes. If it's across the whole group, they need only aggregate the info from the various domains with an internal script.
M0PHP
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Cookies connected wi Reply with quote

Deadly_Ernest wrote:
First
TV ads are targeted on the basis of the program and the transmission time, from that, they work out a probably audience and put up ads for that audience, they do the same for ads in magazines and newspapers as the ads vary with the product.

Yes...

Deadly_Ernest wrote:
They don't ask you who you are and then change the ads.

Neither do web adverts.

Deadly_Ernest wrote:
second
I have been paid to watch tv ads - a few times to attend a location and give my responses to the ads, but mostly to have a ratings box in the house.

Being paid to view ads in that context (attending a location, giving feedback, having a ratings box etc) is a different kettle of fish than you simply being a user of a website that uses adverts. They pay you because they want your feedback. I'm sure there are websites that would happily pay you to show you web adverts and then ask for your opinion.

LXF or the third party advertisers are not asking for your opinion on their adverts so should not be paying you; and as a visitor to the site you have no right to ask for payment.
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: RE: Re: Cookies connected wi Reply with quote

Lo all,

HitBox is a system that Future Publishing uses to monitor traffic data for all of its websites. I prefer Google Analytics myself, but if I was to cut out HitBox, the bean counters at Future wouldn't have lots of nice figures in their databases. Then we'd be totally forgotten about and the site would suffer.

Regarding linuxformat.co.uk cookies, those are from PostNuke and are just used for storing session data etc. -- there's no tracking or ads involved.

Mike
Webmongrel
Deadly_Ernest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Cookies connected wi Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:
Lo all,

HitBox is a system that Future Publishing uses to monitor traffic data for all of its websites. I prefer Google Analytics myself, but if I was to cut out HitBox, the bean counters at Future wouldn't have lots of nice figures in their databases. Then we'd be totally forgotten about and the site would suffer.

Regarding linuxformat.co.uk cookies, those are from PostNuke and are just used for storing session data etc. -- there's no tracking or ads involved.

Mike
Webmongrel

Mike,

Thanks for the info re the great plethora of cookies.

Mopph

I still see the ads on the page, so I don't seem to be affecting the ads sent from lxf. Mike indicates the cookies aren't to do with ads. But even if they were, not allowing cookies from third parties would never stop anything being sent to me from the original source anyway, just stop stuff from third parties.

Ernest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: