Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home Brewed Distros
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would a distro building tutorial interest you?
Yes
93%
 93%  [ 14 ]
No
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Now just hold on a minute! Who appointed *you* BDFL? Wink Laughing"

Fate Smile Actually, it'd be really cool to have a regular poster from these forums in charge of the distro side, if possible. But if this idea went ahead, there'd have to be someone who linked it all together with this website, magazine content, and various other admin-type stuff. IOW, all the LXF/Future-related stuff would probably go through me.

Hence I don't want to take on a gigantically time-consuming job if it all falls apart, and then we need to keep it going for whatever reason Smile As you say though, there are plenty of experienced users who're regulars on here, so that side of it may not be a big issue if it went ahead.

M
Erin
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:
As in, make a pretty bare-bones distro that's Debianish enough to flesh out with .debs later on? That could work really well, if I'm following you correctly.

"Mike, how can we sort out organising some prelim talks?"

Well, I'll talk to Nick and Paul about it, to see if it's feasible (they'll probably think of other problems I hadn't considered!). It may be too risky or complex to consider right now. But if it looks doable to some degree, we can begin by starting a new thread, getting people on board and taking it from there!

Mike

Why not. Bare bones is good. No need to make it bleeding edge or fill a DVD (or 14 CDs which'll please David!). I would think the only input LXF need to make is a forum or a little webspace. Commitment beyond that would be minimal and if it came off then you'd have a run of good articles.

Erin
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the interest of learning how a distro is built, which could mre easily be got from studying an existing distribution, what does such a project hope to achieve?
The words "Oh no! Not another distro!" are constantly in my mind while reading this thread. It seems to me that people are bound to lose interest in such a project, after the initial enthusiasm, as it is hardly likely to introduce new technology or even end up being suitable for eveyone's needs.
But don't let me stop you. I'm just a disappointed optimist.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Rhakios here, which is why I kept saying we need to address the "why". Without a good reason for doing this, people will lose interest. Given a good motivation to keep people going and it could work.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, my cynical mind has just thought up a good way to keep people interested. Make it the only distro LXF will support, i.e. answer questions in the magazine and on the forums about. Any other distro, tough luck! Also, all the articles in the magazine could be oriented around the packages and features of LXF_OS.

That should be popular. Wink
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long would it be before Linux Magazine put a pre-release ISO of LXFOS on their DVD? Laughing
Erin
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'd make it good so before LXF get a copy?
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
How long would it be before Linux Magazine put a pre-release ISO of LXFOS on their DVD? Laughing

Then at least I wouldn't get it twice, I have changed my LM sub to magazine only!
Very Happy
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning the problems of planning and scale, why not just let it start very simply and develop its own course in a way. Some greate works of art (aka worth heaps) were made when the artist was blind -=- note: picaso -=- the guy had to be off his face -=- As a series on how to get a base system together It could act as a kind of wrapper for things like Gentoos' 1st stage and the LFS project. Becoming a form of template. There are also a lot of side effects involved which effect using Linux generally. In terms of compilation and cli/scripting techniques.

As a number of site people have put together their own LFS, and there are Gentoo people, including Slackware people ... there should be adequate forum feed back available, unless it's just ignored that is.

I'm suggesting to not so much to start out to create a distro as such ... that is quite ambitou, and does bring in the concerns of sustainability. Especially in its reflection on the mag if it just folded. But just a simple series on the workings of a base system. On the interalationships involved, why so much is apparently needed to get the thing to boot minimally in the first place. And that wouldn't be that simple really. Quite a deal of time could be spent there, especially if people did take it up to experiment with, which would be a good sign. There are sure to be lots of "how does that go again and why so" posts [ especially from me (grin) ]. Which would help in giving an indication on at what level, or in what way it should develop. If it does seem to catch hold then it could be gradually taken up to other levels. That would help to simlify the overall planning concerns, as it would then become incremental, a bit like an incremental system update ... It would also simplify the issues of commitment. There's no point in organising a party, just to find out everyone has changed there mind and gone out to a rage instead Very Happy

Purpose ?, Linux started out as an enthusiasts interest ... so, why not. It would be extremely educational if not anything else.

jm
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Home Brewed Distros Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
You could devote several months to the "which editor" question Smile

I thought EvilNick had that job... or is he moving on as well ? Very Happy

I like the idea of a series on the mechanics and problems of producing a distro, but I can't at the moment come up with a good answer to "why". I guess academic interest more than any practical reason.

Now what would be extremely interesting would be a series on customising an existing distro, eg Knoppix or Morphix. So you could put together your own live CD with exactly the tools you want on it and no flab.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Home Brewed Distros Reply with quote

That's already come up recently in another thread, where I mentioned I'd already suggested an article or two on this. Can I count on you for another vote?
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Home Brewed Distros Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
Can I count on you for another vote?

Most definitely Very Happy
Gordon
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Home Brewed Distros Reply with quote

A basic LXF distro would be great ... as long you don't let 1sf (troll) get anywhere near the bootloader part Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
towy71

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Home Brewed Distros Reply with quote

Gordon: you've gone and done it now Confused
Gordon
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Home Brewed Distros Reply with quote

No offence to 1sf (troll) intended Very Happy At least he tries which is more than can be said for the posts of scort02 Mad

I've got a question about oading an initial console in the help section. This is the sort of thing you might expect from a tutorial series on building a distro. I still think it's a brilliant idea though. I just wish I knew a lot more than I do in order to be able to contribute in some way Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: