Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Website slugish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Website slugish Reply with quote

I'm getting repeated 'database connection errors' when browsing the forum for the last 2 hrs orso. Reloading often fixes the issue, but loading pages takes forever. Other sites work as expected. Any ideas?
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Website slugish Reply with quote

We were being Slashdotted and OSNewsed simultaneously Smile Has calmed down a bit now though.

M
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: RE: Website slugish Reply with quote

OK, thx Mike!
paulm
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Website slugish Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:
We were being Slashdotted and OSNewsed simultaneously Smile Has calmed down a bit now though.

M

Twisted Evil Is that why the system clock is always wrong? Or have you lost NTP.

Sorry, couldn't resist - this is one forum that never tells me the right time....

paul.
Levi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Website slugish Reply with quote

You mean OSNews had linked to LXF website? I don't get it...
Wikipedia isn't much help here....

~Levi
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Website slugish Reply with quote

Levi wrote:
You mean OSNews had linked to LXF website? I don't get it...
Wikipedia isn't much help here....

~Levi

Slashdot and OSNews are websites that post news stories and links to the original articles, large numbers of readers visit these sites, then follow the link to the article of interest on the LXF site (LXF test on Ooo3 in this case), all these extra visitors put the site under a heavy load.

Other websites can have a similar effect, being User Friendly's LotD (Link of the Day) can have a similar deleterious effect, especially for sites that don't expect to get a lot of visitors.
Budgie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first experience of this forum has been very poor indeed. It has taken several minutes to load each page and I note the activity is usually waiting for an advertising site or even something in Russia. Unless you can cut the clutter a bit or speed up response you will damage the reputation of your excellent magazine.
RedWillow
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budgie wrote:
I note the activity is usually waiting for an advertising site or even something in Russia.

Have you read this thread yet? It seems that something sinister may be going on, although we await the final diagnosis. Hint: if you've got adblock plus installed, add '*.ru' as a filter rule. Worked like a charm for me.
Budgie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedWillow wrote:
Budgie wrote:
I note the activity is usually waiting for an advertising site or even something in Russia.

Have you read this thread yet? It seems that something sinister may be going on, although we await the final diagnosis. Hint: if you've got adblock plus installed, add '*.ru' as a filter rule. Worked like a charm for me.

Many thanks. Have installed adblock plus and already noticed an improvement. Will add the *.ru filter now.
Thanks for the tip.
Regards,
Budgie
RedWillow
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budgie wrote:
Will add the *.ru filter now.

Now? As in 22nd January = now? Laughing You're a bit late; Mike fixed the problem 10 days ago and I haven't been getting any hits on my *.ru filter rule since. Razz

But I'm glad you've found Adblock Plus useful. You may or may not have noticed, but when you first started Firefox after installing it, a window will have popped up offering a subscription to a number of filter rule sets. I always choose the first one (USA Easylist - or something like that) which deals with most of the irritating ones. I don't often have to add my own rules.

A word of warning about the *.ru filter rule. If, by chance, you want to visit a reputable Russian web-site, it will bugger up your browsing experience something rotten. To see what I mean, have a look at the St Petersburg Times site with and without the *.ru filter enabled. Link:

http://www.sptimes.ru/
ollie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedWillow wrote:
A word of warning about the *.ru filter rule. If, by chance, you want to visit a reputable Russian web-site, it will bugger up your browsing experience something rotten. To see what I mean, have a look at the St Petersburg Times site with and without the *.ru filter enabled. Link:

http://www.sptimes.ru/

Nope, I get the information from the site (in English) but the images and ads have been blocked. If you were visiting these sites on a regular basis and needed the images putting a rule in to allow that site before *.ru would allow better access.
RedWillow
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ollie wrote:
Nope, I get the information from the site (in English) but the images and ads have been blocked.

Yep! That's what I meant. Razz Ads have been blocked = good. Images have been blocked = bad. Which is why I said the filter buggers up your browsing experience (in Russian sites). Wink

But I take your second point. Trouble is, you'd have to set up rules for every .ru site you wanted to visit. Not that I visit (m)any!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: