Abandoning Ubuntu

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Abandoning Ubuntu

Postby heiowge » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:24 am

After slightly more than a year of success with Ubuntu Feisty, Gutsy, and then Hardy, I was very excited to install Intrepid. The excitement was short lived - No OOo 3, vanishing taskbars, sound, compiz graphics and lack of persistance on the graphics had me hunting round for a new distro.

I found myself slipping from 95% Ubuntu, 5% XP, towards 99% XP again. I needed a decent (by that I mean working) distro to replace Ubuntu. I preferred Gnome to KDE or XFCE, and debs to rpms.

That meant Mint or Debian (in my limited experience). I was impressed with Mint, but had issues with updates and I was a little unsure of debian with their extended upgrade periods. So I widened my horizons.

I tried Mandriva 2009, OpenSuse 11 and even considered reverting to Hardy before I saw this months mag.

Due to the praise for Fedora 10, I installed and tried it. I am very impressed. There are differences between Fedora and Ubuntu, but not drastic enough to scare off a novice like me.

There was a little fun sorting to nvidia drivers, but far less agro than I had sorting the WIFI in Ubuntu!

So thanks for the advice and especially the cover disc! Keep it up.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby gn2 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:58 am

Why not just stick with 8.04? It will be supported long after 8.10 is dead and buried.
gn2
LXF regular

Re: Abandoning Ubuntu

Postby ollie » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:52 pm

heiowge wrote:There was a little fun sorting to nvidia drivers, but far less agro than I had sorting the WIFI in Ubuntu!

I've had zero problems with Ubuntu 8.10 using a Broadcom chipset in my Asus G1S laptop, Asus 701 Netbook and using a n old Belkin PCI card.
ollie

RE: Re: Abandoning Ubuntu

Postby heiowge » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:02 pm

I didn't want to roll back to 8.04 because I was ready to move forward. I was looking forward to the new features that 8.10 and the newer distros were promising (except for OOo that is!).

I have 3 machines (soon to be 4) to install to. I have a Dell desktop (about 5 years old, with 2.8 P4 processor, 2G ram and 256mb Graphics) that dual boots with XP (the machine that was having the issues with ubuntu 8.10), an old HP currently trialing Mandriva 2009 (3.2 P4 processor, 512Mb ram, no extra graphics card), an eeepc 2g surf (was Ubuntu 8.04, but had issues with the MadWifi drivers, so am putting XP on for my wife!) and am getting an eeepc 1000H. My intention was originally to run Ubuntu on all, but I may end up with fedora instead.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby HINTERG » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:11 pm

ollie wrote:
heiowge wrote:There was a little fun sorting to nvidia drivers, but far less agro than I had sorting the WIFI in Ubuntu!

I've had zero problems with Ubuntu 8.10 using a Broadcom chipset in my Asus G1S laptop, Asus 701 Netbook and using a n old Belkin PCI card.

It does seem to be true that there have been problems with 8.10 though ollie. Fair amount of stuff on the web generally, enough in fact to make me leave my 8.04 right where it is. Maybe peoples expectations of Ubuntu have been raised too high, maybe the modern complex distro is just too involved to allow a six monthly cycle of updating.
Seems to me, Canonical (and others), would do better to keep their repos up to date rather than keep changing the distro.
Trying to stay sane in a crazy world......
HINTERG
LXF regular

Postby gn2 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:25 pm

I have found problems with 6.10, 7.10 and 8.10, for some reason the October releases seem to be more problematic.

It's only a matter of a few months till 9.04, hopefully it will be better.
gn2
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:25 pm

The fall releases of lots of distro's seem to be that way all that time during the summer to put new stuff into the mix then it takes to the spring release to clean things up ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby pwbrum61 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:16 am

I must admit that after an initial flirtation with 8.10 I'm sticking (for now) with 8.04 as I was having more problems then I would have preferred. This is certainly the case on the servers I administer, where I'll only install an LTS version.

Both my laptop and PC at work are dual-boot so my 2nd O/S is currently Fedora 10, a huge improvement on the last time I tried a version of Fedora (FC3 or 4 I think).

I even have a Thinkpad at work which is quad boot with XP, F10, xubuntu 8.10 and ubuntu 8.04 installed (just because I could really! ;) )
Where's the Kaboom? There's supposed to be an Earth-shattering kaboom! :D

pwbrum61
LXF regular

Postby bob_moss » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:57 am

Due to the praise for Fedora 10, I installed and tried it. I am very impressed. There are differences between Fedora and Ubuntu, but not drastic enough to scare off a novice like me.

Hear Hear. I've been an avid Ubuntu fan since Feisty (and had only really used the live versions of other distros to experiment), but Intrepid for me was a real let-down. There is a nice new theme, and the propreitary driver/network applets are useful, but there's no killer feature which gets me excited. Some legacy hardware support available in Hardy was also broken, The last straw was when they put OpenOffice.org 3 into the backports repository - that's unforgivable when it's more than stable enough and would have given Ubuntu the killer feature it needed.

I'm still a Ubuntu fan, but I then took a look at other distros (I still keep an installation of Hardy with netbook remix on my Asus Eee PC, because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"). Mandriva 2009 needed Powerpack to work with my laptop's hardware (or else for me to use ndiswrapper), I dislike the way openSUSE works and Linux Mint and Debian weren't something I could get on with. However, I tried Fedora 10 and was very impressed. it's now dual-booting with Vista HP on a Sony VAIO, and I'm so far incredibly happy with it.

Fedora 10 is easy to use, provides all the software I want/need, moves faster than Ubuntu Intrepid and (crucially) has that 'Wow' factor I always used to get with Ubuntu. It's now my distro of choice - I'll be interested to see how Ubuntu wins people back with 'Jaunty Jackalope'.

Thanks Linux Format for introducing me to a great distro!
Bob Moss writes for LXF and is studying computer science at the University of Plymouth, UK

Linux Registered User #473630
bob_moss

Postby Marrea » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:19 pm

I too am very impressed with Fedora 10, but then I have always like Fedora.

I must say the one thing I have never become used to with Linux is the way distros constantly keep bringing out new versions every two weeks - or at least that's what it seems like* - and usually along with them different ways of doing things !! Yes, I know you don't have to immediately upgrade to the latest version but there comes a stage when you have to. I was quite happy using Fedora 7 but support for that ceased in (?)June last year. In contrast, I have been running XP for seven years and all I have had to do is install the three Service Packs (plus of course automatically download the regular updates as and when they appear).

* unbelievably even Debian seems to have joined this bandwagon now :)
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:07 pm

Yes, but Debian use dog weeks :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby tuxmando » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:07 pm

I seem to missed a lot of the trouble with Intrepid. I'm running 64 bit on an acer 5920 and it worked a charm from the word go. I must be one of the lucky few for whom everything just works. Thinks its karma repairing the lost hours spent in the earlier years fighting my radeon with slackware 9. Got vms for playing around and one for xp with visual studio for college. Just wish I could sell that shiny sticker underneath with a load of letters on it. Feel kinda like I've been robbed for software I won't use.
tuxmando

Postby -Dave- » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:30 pm

heiowge wrote:After slightly more than a year of success with Ubuntu Feisty, Gutsy, and then Hardy, I was very excited to install Intrepid. The excitement was short lived - No OOo 3, vanishing taskbars, sound, compiz graphics and lack of persistance on the graphics had me hunting round for a new distro.

Just because there IS an update doesn't mean you HAVE to update. If Hardy was fine, stick with it!
With thanks Kenco, my coding nightmares are over!
-Dave-

Postby Marrea » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:00 pm

-Dave- wrote:Just because there IS an update doesn't mean you HAVE to update. If Hardy was fine, stick with it!

As has been said many times before.

Unfortunately, it's human nature to update as soon as a new version of anything comes out. And I've noticed this seems to be particularly true as far as Linux is concerned, with users falling over each other in the mad scramble to get the latest and [supposedly!] greatest. :wink:
Marrea
LXF regular

RE: Re: Abandoning Ubuntu

Postby MartyBartfast » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:59 pm

I'm going to be ditching Ubuntu this week too, mainly because I'm hoping to go for an RHCE certification later this year so I thought I should get as much RedHat exposure as I can, so Fedora is going on the lappy when I remember to bring the DVD home.
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Next

Return to Discussion