Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux mag

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grogoreo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Linux mag Reply with quote

hi

I was in Holland/Netherlands lately and went into a small supermarket and looked in the magazine section just looking for Linux stuff (after seeing a Linux mag in Italy the week before hand). I noticed Linux Starter (or on those lines) one, explaining linux, how to install etc (I can't speak or read dutch so I was just guessing what things said) but I felt that it was a good idea.

Is there such a thing here? I know you have Linux Format but I feel it is more of a higher level magazine than a complete beginner who knows nothing about Linux. I wonder if it would be a good idea to have one published concentrating on a complete beginner. Maybe linux the Windows XP one, not like I've read it but am only guessing, where I'm sure it tells the user about Windows XP. But thinking about it, it maybe on par (of course not as good as Linux Format) as Linux Format. If it were to get into features like coding, learning emacs etc it may be quite difficult to accept. But one which focuses on Linux from the start maybe focusing on one or a few of the bigger name distros, like Ubuntu, Fedora or SuSE.

I just thought I'd mention it,
Greg
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Linux mag Reply with quote

I know exactly what you want. And what's more it's free! Bad news is that it is supplied in PDF form on the net. Even then it is formatted to fit your 4:3 screen, and the latest KPDF or Adobe 7 will view it nicely.

The site you need to go to is:

http://www.tuxmagazine.com/

Near the top left is a pull down menu where you can download the 5 back issues to date, and you can register to have new issues notified to you by e-mail.

The PDFs run full screen. In Adobe Reader 7 you have to press ESC to get back to the normal state to exit the program. In KPDF you need to move your mouse to the top of the screen and the "X" button appears top right to close.

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
grogoreo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: RE: Linux mag Reply with quote

hi

Sorry, I don't think I was very clear. It wasn't for me but for complete beginners. I just thought if people could see a mag with Linux on in big letters, from them maybe hearing a little about linux or it sounds interesting, that they might pick it up. For that TUX site, you would have to either be directed their or do a search, and to understand what/who is TUX you would have to learn a lot more rather than thinking, ah TUX = Linux.

Thanks for the link,
Greg
towy71

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: RE: Linux mag Reply with quote

there is of course the LXF/WHSmith's Special magazine with Mandriva 2005 LE, see this thread: http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=842
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll jump in here if that's ok?

In W*****s land there is the 'Computeractive' magazine. This deals with people new to computers. And I think Gregoreo is wondering if a similar magazine might be available that does the same for Linux.

I've been wondering that too Gregoreo, especially after purchasing the Linux Format Special that Towy71 mentions above. So a Linuxactive would be most welcome (IMO). I feel sure that as Microsofty gets more and more protective over it's OS, that Linux will eventually come into it's own as a viable alternative. I read the other day, that if your monitor isn't on the approved list for the Vista OS, then nothing shows...only a fuzzy screen! This is progress? LINUX WILL COME GOOD.

The only downside I've found to my use of the Mandriva system, is the adding of missing files for DVD playback. And some files for plug-ins (Firefox). If the Linux community could make the adding of such files easier (though I'm sure it's a doddle to regular users) then the uptake of Linux would surge!

As it stands there does appear to be too many (mostly) complicated ways of installing the files and stuff.

I have written to Computeractive and asked if they could include some basic understanding/use of Linux in their most excellent 'Workshops' series. I'll let you know if they reply. By the way Computeractive is available every fortnight in most newsagents, it comes out Thursdays. But I'm sure most people on this forum don't need it. I only get it because it's like the Dandy and Beano for adults.

Regards all, Pete.
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eastcoastdrifter wrote:
But I'm sure most people on this forum don't need it. I only get it because it's like the Dandy and Beano for adults.

Don't be too sure of that...

I do get ComputerActive - it's a good source of hints & tips about Windows stuff I don't use myself but get asked about by other people. And they give very good advice on consumer protection issues (ie what to do if your shiny new PC doesn't work and the bozo in the shop says you have to contact the manufacturer to get it sorted).
Also it's eagerly read by the rest of the family, who do still use Windows.

I hope the day will come when the use of Linux has grown enough to make a "LinuxActive" magazine viable.

Note : I also get the Beano every week - officially for my daughter, but guess who gets to read it first Laughing
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't being derogatory about CA Nigel. When I read after posting I realised it could have been interpreted that way. What I meant to say (in a less clumsy manner) is; it reads very easily (much like a comic). Lots of pictures and the crystal mark is well deserved by them.

I bought it from launch. And it was a great help during the early period - however just swapping from the Amiga to Windows was SO much easier in itself.

I still get it and look forward to it (by subscription) every other Monday - due next week.

I'm pleased other people on the forum get it, again being clumsy, it looks like a derogatory statement. But I meant those using the CLI and stuff.

Roll on a Linuxactive I say.

Shiny side up (motorcycle xpression).

Pete.
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's OK, Pete, I didn't take your post as derogatory about CA... Just saying don't be so sure that people here aren't reading it Smile
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is blasphemy but LinuxMagazine seems to be a more beginers mag (from what I saw when my LUG got free issues a couple of years ago).
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux Magazine (to which I also subscribe) seems to me to have a similar mix of articles to LXF. They tend to have the more newbie oriented stuff near the back in the linuxuser section.
However, they do not have the wonderfull website community that LXF do, though they do have those pdfs of back issues. Swings and roundabouts really.
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to buy all three linux mags, Linux Format, Linux Magazine and Linux User and Dev but they stopped selling Linux Magazine in my local WHSmith and the closest place I could find it for sale was in Lakeside Shopping Centre!!

I do find though that Linux Format is a very friendly magazine, for example against the likes of LUD which I find a bit of a struggle to get though, and god forbid a newbie accidently buying it, they would be scared off for years....

Server operating system designed for schools:www.linuxschools.com
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a years free subscription to LUD a while back. Its ok, their main problem is the target audiance already knows eveything in it by the time it is released anyway. Although that is a hazzard of all Linux mags, things move so quick most news is old news by the time it is published and software is already 1 version out of date.
I didn't find it too difficult (but I am used to that kinda thing), just boring. I'm gussing it is good for suits to read.
I don't really get the time to read mags anymore, the only subscription I have left is LXF and that is only because Future make it impossible to unsubscribe.
Tux_Rocks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Linux magazine and I thought it was too technical for me so I get Linux Format instead. It would be great if they did have a Linux Active magazine though as it wouldn't make Linux seem so complicated. Linux Format is just right for me as it's a mixture of hard and easy tutorials.
dth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that LF started off as a more 'Linux Active' type magazine but the demand wasn't there apparently - hence the move to the current style and format.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: