Question to programmers - Especially Hudzilla :P

Code junkies hangout here

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Question to programmers - Especially Hudzilla :P

Postby -Dave- » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:02 pm

Hey guys!

I know this is probably such a n00b question and is probably asked a lot...BUT!

How do you progress with programming? I've tried on and off over the years. I've tried PHP, Perl, Python, C++, Java with the Open Uni, Pascal for my Diploma in college and a few others. The problems I'm having is I can't progress beyond the basics. I don't know how to impliment my ideas into code, plus my code is very messy apparently.

I read in LXF114 in Hudzilla's article "Hack On Everything", that all he does is code. Is this the solution?

I would LOVE to be able to code whatever it is my Bipolar brain thinks up, not being able to is so frustrating.

Any suggestions?

Thanks! :D

-Dave-
-Dave-

RE: Question to programmers - Especially Hudzilla :P

Postby CJLL » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:32 pm

Try a different course or learning method. People have different preferences for learning, such as some people need personal 1-2-1 tuition, others are happy to read a book/web tutorial, others just love tinkering with buttons to see what happens

You may find that a refresher on basic subjects such as Maths and English will help.

You should also go back to the basic problems you were given to solve at college, and work on improving those by making them more efficient or adding additional features.
--
The reward for self love is sticky hands
CJLL
LXF regular

Postby External_Floppy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:47 pm

Hi,

I'm in the same boat as you, I've tried several languages and would love to progress beyond the basics but find it tricky. So I'm no seasoned programmer...

...but here's a tip that helped me progress a few years ago with Visual Basic (no heckling at the back):

Work toward a goal. Have an idea of the sort of program you want to make and set out to do it. With a target in mind, going baby-step by baby-step toward it, you'll find you'll learn quicker and enjoy it more. :)
Linux: Open your mind, not your wallet.
External_Floppy

Postby -Dave- » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:54 pm

That's a good tip bud.

I'd like to ultimately lead to creating 2D games. I'm actually considering a degree course in Software Engineering but a bit stand back-ish with it because my brain hurts from books, let alone a full-time course. :P

What language(s) are you using at the moment?
With thanks Kenco, my coding nightmares are over!
-Dave-

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:59 am

Lo,

For simple 2D games, I highly recommend PyGame as covered in recent issues of LXF. It's extremely easy to put images on the screen, get input, play music etc.

Programming is as hard as you make it. When you're starting off, naturally you can't set your sights too high. Work on creating a clone of a simple game (eg Space Invaders, Pacman, Snake) and when you're happy with it, tackle something a bit more complex.

But above all, keep coding! Books can be very useful, but if you get bogged down in theory and algorithms you won't feel like you're getting anywhere. Paul and I are big exponents of the 'dive in and code' approach - find some source that interests you, try to do something different with it, and you'll learn along the way. You can use books for reference and explanation, but ultimately you want to be playing with code.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby -Dave- » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:44 pm

That's great advice Mike.

Say you mastered PyGame, would you be able to code an MMORPG?
Ultimately, I wanna do something like a cross between Pokemon, Harvest Moon DS and Animal Crossing Wild World; only an online version.
I know I'm looking way into the future, but that's the plan. :P

I've also been debating whether it'd be better using Flash or Director for the game and have it web-based, OR have a client to download.

So many possibilities :O
-Dave-

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:51 pm

-Dave- wrote:Say you mastered PyGame, would you be able to code an MMORPG?

Possibly -- although the hardest bit would be networking. I'm not sure if/how much PyGame supports networking, but no doubt there are other Python modules you can use.

Still, as you say, that'd be a long time away. I'd approach it like this:

1. Get a sprite moving around the screen using the cursor keys
2. Set up a game map engine so that you can add in other sprites and background objects
3. Add the ability to scroll around a map larger than the screen
4. Program logic to handle character interactions / battles
5. Add music and sound effects

There are plenty of PyGame tutorials out there to cover these things. When you get to this stage, you may find that others are willing to help out too!

And don't forget the LXF PyGame competition (see the Magazine section of these forums) which closes in a couple of weeks :-)

Good luck!

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby -Dave- » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:07 pm

Hehe, I suppose that'll give me something to work for! :P

Thanks for the help!

By the way Mike, do we have many more Py tutorials to look forward to? One of the first things I do when buying LXF is check the front cover to see if it has any mention of Python or games. :P

Gonna dig out the PyInvaders issue in a mo and give it another bash. Wasn't very successful last time I attempted it, but in my defense, I was sat in the front room with family about so my concentration wasn't at it's best :P
-Dave-

Postby Hudzilla » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:20 pm

Hudzilla
Site admin

Postby -Dave- » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:23 pm

Woot! "I think I just filled the cup!"
With thanks Kenco, my coding nightmares are over!
-Dave-

Return to Programming